RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GSOC

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

brush manager M Tieleman 18 Aug 22:36
  brush manager Alexandre Prokoudine 19 Aug 14:31
  brush manager Karine Delvare 19 Aug 19:28
   GSOC (was: brush manager) Raphaël Quinet 22 Aug 23:24
    GSOC Kevin Cozens 23 Aug 05:40
M Tieleman
2007-08-18 22:36:14 UTC (over 16 years ago)

brush manager

With these new cool options for the gimp 2.4, I can't seem to find information about whether or not there will be a brush manager. In gimp 2.2, it's getting rather messy in that folder when you have a number of brushes, it gets hard to organize, plus it seems to add to the time gimp takes to load.

There is a python script around that provides a kind of brush management, so you can toggle sets on and off.
Basically it works like this: you have an active brush folder, which is the directory you tell gimp to load the (extra) brushes from, and there is the folder where all the brushes, and sets are located. the script creates a small gui with a list and a checkbox. you check which brushes you want active, it then copies those to the active brush folder, and after a brush reload, you have your brushes at your disposal. Obviously if you uncheck them, the script removes them from the active brush folder.

I've googled quite a bit, and can't find a thing about brush management, well, rather a brush manager for the gimp above version 2.2 (which includes 2.4)
I'm rather curious, is a brush manager in the works? that would be a very nice addition.

Alexandre Prokoudine
2007-08-19 14:31:38 UTC (over 16 years ago)

brush manager

On 8/19/07, M Tieleman wrote:

I'm rather curious, is a brush manager in the works?

AFAIK, no. Feel free to write it after 2.4 :)

There is an open source (hosted by SourceForge) brush manager for The-Application-I-May-Not-Name-Here, so you have something to look at.

Alexandre

Karine Delvare
2007-08-19 19:28:13 UTC (over 16 years ago)

brush manager

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 22:36:14 +0200 "M Tieleman" wrote:

I've googled quite a bit, and can't find a thing about brush management, well, rather a brush manager for the gimp above version 2.2 (which includes 2.4)
I'm rather curious, is a brush manager in the works? that would be a very nice addition.

There was a 2006 Google Summer of Code project for this. If it had been completed, there would be a brush manager in GIMP 2.4, but it wasn't (the student is not to blame, he focused on something completely different instead).

Maybe the same project can be proposed for the 2008 GSOC?

Karine

Raphaël Quinet
2007-08-22 23:24:10 UTC (over 16 years ago)

GSOC (was: brush manager)

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:28:13 +0200, Karine Delvare wrote:

There was a 2006 Google Summer of Code project for this. If it had been completed, there would be a brush manager in GIMP 2.4, but it wasn't (the student is not to blame, he focused on something completely different instead).

Maybe the same project can be proposed for the 2008 GSOC?

Side note regarding the Google Summer of Code: let's hope that we can be selected in 2008. Although we do not know the reasons why other projects were selected instead of GIMP for GSoC 2007, it seems that most GSoC projects focus on "quick wins". It is likely that we could improve our chances of being selected next year by working on the following things:
- Having at least one stable GIMP release per year. - Merging GSoC results faster in the main codebase (if appropriate) and advertising them as new features on our web site, etc. - Being better prepared for GSoC by focusing on a smaller set of ideas but with better descriptions of their scope, etc. - Making it easier for newcomers to contribute to the core. I admit that I do not know how to do that. Maybe we could start by providing a good overview and top-down description of how GIMP works internally? But I don't think I would even be able to write that myself...

-Raphaël

Kevin Cozens
2007-08-23 05:40:41 UTC (over 16 years ago)

GSOC

Raphaël Quinet wrote:

- Having at least one stable GIMP release per year.

That would be nice. I am sure there are a quite a few GIMP users who would like to see some of the changes and new features available in a release version without waiting a couple of years as has happened on occasion with recent releases.

- Making it easier for newcomers to contribute to the core. I admit that I do not know how to do that. Maybe we could start by providing a good overview and top-down description of how GIMP works internally?

You beat me to suggesting this on the mailing list. Its something I've been thinking about for a few weeks now. In fact, I recently ran across an open source project (I forget which one) that mentioned on their web site that they had available a document which had an overview to the source tree. I thought this was a great idea.

The GIMP source tree has been cleaned up and reorganized over the last few releases which makes it a bit easier to get in to but it is still a huge code base and somewhat impenetrable to someone who doesn't spend a lot of time wading through the directories. It also helps to know about auto-generated files, and what they are for.

I have too many projects/interests so I haven't spent a lot of time trying to decipher GIMP's huge source tree. For me it results in my avoiding GIMP related coding that touches on the "internals". The fact I'm not a graphic designer and that GIMP far exceeds my typical needs in an image manipulation program also hasn't helped in my desire to delve too deeply in to GIMP's source. Even delving too deep in to GEGL's relatively small source tree is a bit more than I have time/inclination for at the moment.

The only problem with any docs re: the GIMP source tree right now is that they will have to be restricted to GIMP 2.2 for now since the code will undergo some big changes after the 2.4 release.