RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP UI redesign should be an open process

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP UI redesign should be an open process Esteban Barahona 04 Aug 06:44
  GIMP UI redesign should be an open process Sven Neumann 04 Aug 13:54
Esteban Barahona
2007-08-04 06:44:37 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Disrespecting others isn't an effective way to propose something. But still, the GIMP UI shouldn't be redesigned without an open discussion. The GIMP is a widely used software that is useful for many users. I personally prefer to run GIMP than (a pirated version of) Photoshop, and am used to its interface (although don't agree with some design decisions). Inkscape is another tool that I really like in all aspects (functionality and UI). I don't need Illustrator for vector design.

It's nice that GIMP has asked for the help of Interaction/Interface designers. But users expect the functionality of prior versions to be preserved. Layer modes is a feature that I consider very important, if it is considered "deprecated" an alternative should be proposed, discussed, changed, developed in an open process. In other aspects that are available on the blog of GIMP UI, I agree completely with the need of one main menu and not two. Relate to this the toolbox should maintain a draggable area for moving the window (ie: the title). Also it should be able to be possible to configure as a 2xN or 1xN icons and moved to the left border for efficiency (this was proposed by Tog (question
2)...this
idea by the way was the inspiration for me deciding to start studying Interaction Design and for the 1 Dimension Menu, basically a second step to ensure interface efficiency after the pointer is moved).

A rational and respectful exchange of ideas about the GIMP UI should be started. Personally, I think that this is a crucial time in the development of this widely used software. A total redesign without informing users may lead to an unnecessary fork.

Sven Neumann
2007-08-04 13:54:51 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 22:44 -0600, Esteban Barahona wrote:

A rational and respectful exchange of ideas about the GIMP UI should be started. Personally, I think that this is a crucial time in the development of this widely used software. A total redesign without informing users may lead to an unnecessary fork.

The process is completely open and you have obviously misunderstood quite a few things about it. But now is indeed a crucial time for GIMP development as we are working hard on preparing the GIMP 2.4 release. Can we please not distract ourselves right now with a discussion that is based on nothing but fear, doubt and misunderstandings? Thanks.

Sven