RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.3.19 development release

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.3.19 development release Sven Neumann 25 Jul 22:52
  ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.3.19 development release Tim Jedlicka 26 Jul 06:13
   ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.3.19 development release Sven Neumann 26 Jul 08:46
    ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.3.19 development release Nemes Ioan Sorin 26 Jul 14:51
     ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.3.19 development release Alexandre Prokoudine 26 Jul 16:27
     ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.3.19 development release Brendan 07 Aug 23:23
1IIoPQ-26B0To0@fwd26.t-onli... Heiko Schmidt 08 Aug 18:29
  ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.3.19 development release Sven Neumann 08 Aug 18:43
  ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.3.19 development release Brendan 08 Aug 19:22
Sven Neumann
2007-07-25 22:52:17 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Moin,

gimp-2.3.19 bas been uploaded to ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.3.

Changes in GIMP 2.3.19 ======================

- support long layer names in PSD files - improved EXIF handling in the JPEG file plug-in - added control for the playback speed in the Animation Playback plug-in - avoid needless image preview invalidation - allow to edit the image comment in the Image Properties dialog - further improved rectangle tools
- made JPEG save parameters user-configurable - avoid color conversions between identical ICC color profiles - improved Print plug-in
- improved loading and saving of indexed TGA images - bug fixes and code cleanup

We are getting ready for the 2.4 release. There are still some issues but I hope that we can solve them over the next days. I would like to get a release candidate out in a week or two.

We need any help we can get. Jimmac is working on the revamped website and we would like to switch over to it with the 2.4.0 release. I guess he would also very much appreciate some help with it.

Let's get this going and finally get 2.4 out of the door.

Sven

Tim Jedlicka
2007-07-26 06:13:20 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

On 7/25/07, Sven Neumann wrote:

gimp-2.3.19 bas been uploaded to ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.3. Changes in GIMP 2.3.19
======================

Great! - looks like 2.4 is getting closer. Is there a hard dependency on GTK+ 2.10.13?
I run Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty) which unfortunately is still on libgtk2.0-dev 2.10.11. I know this isn't GIMP's issue, but if 2.4 is imminent then a dependency on GTK 2.10.13 might cause a delay in getting it out to at least one major distribution. I'm not clear how the upstream/downstream provider works out the dependencies but the 2.10.13 dependency MIGHT cause a delay in adoption of GIMP 2.4. Not trying to start a distribution/dependency flame war, just pointing out the dependency. (Yes, I know it isn't GIMP's problem. Yes, I know it is my problem. Yes,......)

I checked out pinning (debian-speak for installing select packages outside the "official" distribution) but it required 46 updates - including a libc6 update. Hesitant to do this on my primary machine. Here's hoping for a backport.

Sven Neumann
2007-07-26 08:46:24 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 23:13 -0500, Tim Jedlicka wrote:

Great! - looks like 2.4 is getting closer. Is there a hard dependency on GTK+ 2.10.13?

Yes, there is. And it is there for a very good reason (bug #436242).

I run Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty) which unfortunately is still on libgtk2.0-dev 2.10.11. I know this isn't GIMP's issue, but if 2.4 is imminent then a dependency on GTK 2.10.13 might cause a delay in getting it out to at least one major distribution. I'm not clear how the upstream/downstream provider works out the dependencies but the 2.10.13 dependency MIGHT cause a delay in adoption of GIMP 2.4.

Feisty is not going to include GIMP 2.4 anyway. If we manage to release soon, then 2.4 will be in the next Ubuntu release though. And that release is likely going to use GTK+ 2.12 anyway.

It took us long enough to get 2.4 done. I don't worry too much about adoption at this point. Sooner or later everyone will update.

Sven

Nemes Ioan Sorin
2007-07-26 14:51:57 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

> It took us long enough to get 2.4 done. I don't worry too much about > adoption at this point. Sooner or later everyone will update.

Btw, about adoption

Gimp became more and more important - 2.4 is long awaited - interested peoples will upgrade to 7.10 even only for Gimp 2.4 (if is a library problem) - I AM USING GUTSY FOR Gimp 2.3.18 (and 2.3.19 now).

> Feisty is not going to include GIMP 2.4 anyway. If we manage to release > soon, then 2.4 will be in the next Ubuntu release though. And that > release is likely going to use GTK+ 2.12 anyway.

Gutsy already use GTK 2.11.6 and 2.3.18 work very well on Gutsy - not a single crash (and I use Gimp very intensive).

-- 10 seconds off topic:

2 coworkers working with Avid for compositing, need to use Photoshop sometime to create TGA's or PNG's with transparecy for flying letters or images over the movies (commercials) - looking at my daily work - they starting to use Gimp to make transparent areas for export on TGA and PNG format.They like Gimp over Photoshop because is easy to cut, to select, to export and notable -> what you see (on canvas) is what you import(on compositor). Photoshop and Photopaint export is problematic and sometime they got black areas instead of transparency(..yep forgetting to put a mask - they stuck in export dialogs on both Photoshop and Photopaint).

Well, some peoples start to feel the difference ;)

-- end of off topic

back to Gimp2.4 - Enhanced SIOUX tool (Detail Refinement Brush) will be on 2.4 ?

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 23:13 -0500, Tim Jedlicka wrote:

Yes, there is. And it is there for a very good reason (bug #436242).

I run Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty) which unfortunately is still on libgtk2.0-dev 2.10.11. I know this isn't GIMP's issue, but if 2.4 is imminent then a dependency on GTK 2.10.13 might cause a delay in getting it out to at least one major distribution. I'm not clear how the upstream/downstream provider works out the dependencies but the 2.10.13 dependency MIGHT cause a delay in adoption of GIMP 2.4.

Feisty is not going to include GIMP 2.4 anyway. If we manage to release soon, then 2.4 will be in the next Ubuntu release though. And that release is likely going to use GTK+ 2.12 anyway.

It took us long enough to get 2.4 done. I don't worry too much about adoption at this point. Sooner or later everyone will update.

Sven

Alexandre Prokoudine
2007-07-26 16:27:59 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

On 7/26/07, Nemes Ioan Sorin wrote:

back to Gimp2.4 - Enhanced SIOUX tool (Detail Refinement Brush) will be on 2.4 ?

Unfortunately it's not implemented yet.

Alexandre

Brendan
2007-08-07 23:23:14 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

On Thursday 26 July 2007, Nemes Ioan Sorin wrote:

It took us long enough to get 2.4 done. I don't worry too much about

> adoption at this point. Sooner or later everyone will update.

Btw, about adoption

Gimp became more and more important - 2.4 is long awaited - interested peoples will upgrade to 7.10 even only for Gimp 2.4 (if is a library problem) - I AM USING GUTSY FOR Gimp 2.3.18 (and 2.3.19 now).

> Feisty is not going to include GIMP 2.4 anyway. If we manage to release > soon, then 2.4 will be in the next Ubuntu release though. And that > release is likely going to use GTK+ 2.12 anyway.

Gutsy already use GTK 2.11.6 and 2.3.18 work very well on Gutsy - not a single crash (and I use Gimp very intensive).

Quick starting point for 2.3.19 on Feisty:

1.) download gtk latest 2.) Compile it, with a prefix of something out of the way, like --prefix=/opt/gtk, make, make install 3.) export your PKG_INSTALL_PATH (wrong spelling) to find the .pc file under /opt/gtk/bin something
4.) configure gimp 2.3.19 and it will find it.

I had no idea how to do this, and I figured it out. Not rocket science.

Sven Neumann
2007-08-08 18:43:17 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 16:29 +0000, Heiko Schmidt wrote:

Good you have managed to install Gimp-2.3.19 under Feisty.

3.) is still unclear for me

Could you please descripe a bit more

How do I set up this environment variable? Have I to write this in a certain file?
What is meant with 'export'?

Sorry, but the purpose of this list is to discuss development of GIMP. We are not going to explain you the basics on how to compile software on a UNIX system. There are plenty of HOWTOs and good books available on this subject. I even recently posted some links here with detailed descriptions on how to compile GTK+ applications.

Sven

Brendan
2007-08-08 19:22:15 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

On Wednesday 08 August 2007, Heiko Schmidt wrote:

Hi Brendan,

Good you have managed to install Gimp-2.3.19 under Feisty.

3.) is still unclear for me

Could you please descripe a bit more

How do I set up this environment variable? Have I to write this in a certain file?
What is meant with 'export'?

export a variable to the shell. Perhaps you may want to read up a bit first before installing development software? You could mess things up pretty badly by going in blind.