RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

what, no prog?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

what, no prog? gg@catking.net 20 Jun 14:40
  what, no prog? gg@catking.net 20 Jun 20:04
   what, no prog? Raphaël Quinet 20 Jun 21:54
    what, no prog? gg@catking.net 20 Jun 22:44
     what, no prog? Sven Neumann 21 Jun 07:57
      what, no prog? gg@catking.net 21 Jun 09:22
gg@catking.net
2007-06-20 14:40:09 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

what, no prog?

Hi,

after bashing my head for several days trying to compile with sufficient debugging info to sort out a problem I just discovered that /opt/gimp/bin/gimp-2.3 is not getting replaced.

In fact I noticed it was a couple of days old but the rest of /opt/gimp was updating to I did rm -rf /opt/gimp and reran make install.

All seems to be there except gimp-2.3

I stared with a svn update, make clean , make && make install.

What else can I do?

Thx

gg@catking.net
2007-06-20 20:04:01 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

what, no prog?

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 14:40:09 +0200, wrote:

Hi,

after bashing my head for several days trying to compile with sufficient debugging info to sort out a problem I just discovered that /opt/gimp/bin/gimp-2.3 is not getting replaced.

In fact I noticed it was a couple of days old but the rest of /opt/gimp was updating to I did rm -rf /opt/gimp and reran make install.

All seems to be there except gimp-2.3

I stared with a svn update, make clean , make && make install.

What else can I do?

Thx

Raphaël Quinet
2007-06-20 21:54:39 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

what, no prog?

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:04:01 +0200, gg@catking.net wrote:

make maintainer-clean
./autogen.sh

It would be a good idea to check the contents of config.log at this point (or later). In particular, check that the --prefix argument was correctly passed to configure. You will find how configure was invoked in the first few lines of config.log.

make && make install

Maybe it is a stupid question, but did you check that both make and make install were successful? If yes, did you at least check the last dozen lines of output from make install to see where stuff was being installed?

-Raphaël

gg@catking.net
2007-06-20 22:44:25 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

what, no prog?

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 21:54:39 +0200, Raphaël Quinet wrote:

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:04:01 +0200, gg@catking.net wrote:

make maintainer-clean
./autogen.sh

It would be a good idea to check the contents of config.log at this point (or later). In particular, check that the --prefix argument was correctly passed to configure. You will find how configure was invoked in the first few lines of config.log.

I can see as autogen runs it says "I am about to do ...." , I see that the prefix is there and the rest of gimp pkg gets put in /opt/gimp , I confirm with the datestamp. Multiple checks that this side of things is going as intended.

make && make install

Maybe it is a stupid question, but did you check that both make and make install were successful?

well if make failed make install would not get called. It does get called.

If yes, did you at least check the

last dozen lines of output from make install to see where stuff was being installed?

The only abnormality I noticed was when running this from within kdevelop it reported "compilation aborted" implying that it returned a non zero condition. No specific error was given. I thought this may be the added confusion of using kdev and possibly a result of a bug therein so I fell back to using command line std gimp procedures.

Here no error is shown. It ends with this output:

make[2]: Entering directory `/svn/gimp' test -z "/opt/gimp/bin" || mkdir -p -- "/opt/gimp/bin" /usr/bin/install -c 'gimptool-2.0' '/opt/gimp/bin/gimptool-2.0' test -z "/opt/gimp/lib/pkgconfig" || mkdir -p -- "/opt/gimp/lib/pkgconfig" /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 'gimp-2.0.pc' '/opt/gimp/lib/pkgconfig/gimp-2.0.pc' /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 'gimpthumb-2.0.pc' '/opt/gimp/lib/pkgconfig/gimpthumb-2.0.pc' /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 'gimpui-2.0.pc' '/opt/gimp/lib/pkgconfig/gimpui-2.0.pc' make[2]: Leaving directory `/svn/gimp' make[1]: Leaving directory `/svn/gimp'

Looks like a normal termination, except we see from the results that /opt/gimp/bin/gimp-2.3 is not being installed.

On the face of it all seems to be there and installed as expect. All but the program file.

Odd.

Thanks for you help. /gg

Sven Neumann
2007-06-21 07:57:43 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

what, no prog?

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 22:44 +0200, gg@catking.net wrote:

make[2]: Entering directory `/svn/gimp' test -z "/opt/gimp/bin" || mkdir -p -- "/opt/gimp/bin" /usr/bin/install -c 'gimptool-2.0' '/opt/gimp/bin/gimptool-2.0' test -z "/opt/gimp/lib/pkgconfig" || mkdir -p -- "/opt/gimp/lib/pkgconfig" /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 'gimp-2.0.pc' '/opt/gimp/lib/pkgconfig/gimp-2.0.pc' /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 'gimpthumb-2.0.pc' '/opt/gimp/lib/pkgconfig/gimpthumb-2.0.pc' /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 'gimpui-2.0.pc' '/opt/gimp/lib/pkgconfig/gimpui-2.0.pc' make[2]: Leaving directory `/svn/gimp' make[1]: Leaving directory `/svn/gimp'

Looks like make install doesn't work recursively, it doesn't enter any subdirectories. Are you sure that the Makefile is really the Makefile that configure created? It looks like it is somehow messed up, perhaps kdevelop fiddled with it. Do you see a SUBDIRS variable in your Makefile?

Sven

gg@catking.net
2007-06-21 09:22:00 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

what, no prog?

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 07:57:43 +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 22:44 +0200, gg@catking.net wrote:

make[2]: Entering directory `/svn/gimp' test -z "/opt/gimp/bin" || mkdir -p -- "/opt/gimp/bin" /usr/bin/install -c 'gimptool-2.0' '/opt/gimp/bin/gimptool-2.0' test -z "/opt/gimp/lib/pkgconfig" || mkdir -p -- "/opt/gimp/lib/pkgconfig"
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 'gimp-2.0.pc' '/opt/gimp/lib/pkgconfig/gimp-2.0.pc' /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 'gimpthumb-2.0.pc' '/opt/gimp/lib/pkgconfig/gimpthumb-2.0.pc' /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 'gimpui-2.0.pc' '/opt/gimp/lib/pkgconfig/gimpui-2.0.pc' make[2]: Leaving directory `/svn/gimp' make[1]: Leaving directory `/svn/gimp'

Looks like make install doesn't work recursively, it doesn't enter any subdirectories. Are you sure that the Makefile is really the Makefile that configure created? It looks like it is somehow messed up, perhaps kdevelop fiddled with it. Do you see a SUBDIRS variable in your Makefile?

Sven

Thanks, yes I think that must be what happened. I was seeing to what point I could use kdev interface which does things like import gnome automake project, run automake, run configure.

I had rerun the tools from command line after I found this was not working but apparently this fails to correct what is broken.

I did a fresh checkout and all is fine now.

I've wasted enough time being lead astray by this so I cant get to the bottom of exactly what is happening, I want to get back to fixing lanczos decimation.

The main point is I have a working Gimp and full debugging and variable eval in kdevelop which is great.

Thanks for your comments. /gg