RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

how to save plugin's data

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

how to save plugin's data tao frank 17 May 01:57
  how to save plugin's data Simon Budig 17 May 02:57
   how to save plugin's data tao frank 17 May 03:16
tao frank
2007-05-17 01:57:02 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi list,

I know that some data of plugin can be stored in GIMP's pool by the function below:

gimp_set_data ("some_data", &mydata, sizeof (MyData));

But how big can this data be? If I want to store a very big data, say, a color mask of
an image, what should I do? Is it advisable to save this kind of data outside GIMP?

Thanks.

solotim

Simon Budig
2007-05-17 02:57:14 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

tao frank (solotim.cn@gmail.com) wrote:

I know that some data of plugin can be stored in GIMP's pool by the function below:

gimp_set_data ("some_data", &mydata, sizeof (MyData));

But how big can this data be? If I want to store a very big data, say, a color mask of an image, what should I do? Is it advisable to save this kind of data outside GIMP?

This data gets stored in the RAM and then sits there. Although there is no limit on the size of this data this functionality is not intended to store huge amounts of data. It is more about a small struct saving the preferences of a plugin or similiar stuff.

If you want to store a color mask of an image consider storing it in the image itself, e.g. in an extra channel or as a parasite. This has the advantage, that it will get stored inside the XCF format and will be available in the next gimp session.

Bye, Simon

tao frank
2007-05-17 03:16:45 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

2007/5/17, Simon Budig :

This data gets stored in the RAM and then sits there. Although there is no limit on the size of this data this functionality is not intended to store huge amounts of data. It is more about a small struct saving the preferences of a plugin or similiar stuff.

If you want to store a color mask of an image consider storing it in the image itself, e.g. in an extra channel or as a parasite. This has the advantage, that it will get stored inside the XCF format and will be available in the next gimp session.

Thank you very much.

solotim