RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

layer transparency + transformations

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

layer transparency + transformations Alexandre Prokoudine 09 Mar 12:48
  layer transparency + transformations Sven Neumann 09 Mar 20:36
   layer transparency + transformations Alexandre Prokoudine 09 Mar 21:22
    layer transparency + transformations Tom Lechner 17 Mar 20:09
     layer transparency + transformations Alexandre Prokoudine 19 Jun 12:14
Alexandre Prokoudine
2007-03-09 12:48:34 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

Another issue that it would be great to have fixed in 2.4 is temporary disabling layer transparency when using transformation tools like Perspective, Shear, Rotate and Scale.

For example, when you create a collage, you often use several semi-transparent layers and adjust one to another, e.g. by interactive scaling. But when you start dragging nodes with a Scale tool, a transparent layer under transformation becomes opaque, until you finish this transformation. This is quite annoying, because you have to finish transformation, look, if you did it right, then adjust once again, finish, look, adjust, finish .... and so on until you are happy. This is very counterproductive.

User should be able to see lower layers and adjust current layer's transparency without finishing transformation.

I hope this issue can gain some momentum. Thank you.

Alexandre

Sven Neumann
2007-03-09 20:36:54 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 14:48 +0300, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

For example, when you create a collage, you often use several semi-transparent layers and adjust one to another, e.g. by interactive scaling. But when you start dragging nodes with a Scale tool, a transparent layer under transformation becomes opaque, until you finish this transformation. This is quite annoying, because you have to finish transformation, look, if you did it right, then adjust once again, finish, look, adjust, finish .... and so on until you are happy. This is very counterproductive.

This is just a misinterpretation. What you are seeing is just the preview and if you think it's counterproductive, there's an option in the toolbox that allows you to switch it off.

Sven

Alexandre Prokoudine
2007-03-09 21:22:31 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On 3/9/07, Sven Neumann wrote:

This is just a misinterpretation. What you are seeing is just the preview and if you think it's counterproductive, there's an option in the toolbox that allows you to switch it off.

Oh, you mean Tool Options palette and Outline mode? Thank you!

Two more notes then.

1. It would be great having this mode on by default. It would do no harm when only one layer is present and it surely would work best in the sutuation described above.

2. The "Grid" mode is actually "Outline+Grid". Renaming it would make the mode a tiny bit more discoverable.

Again, thanks for the pointer.

Alexandre

Tom Lechner
2007-03-17 20:09:23 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On 03/09/2007 12:22:31 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

For example, when you create a collage, you often use several semi-transparent layers and adjust one to another, e.g. by interactive
scaling. But when you start dragging nodes with a Scale tool, a transparent layer under transformation becomes opaque, until you finish this transformation. This is quite annoying, because you have
to finish transformation, look, if you did it right, then adjust once
again, finish, look, adjust, finish .... and so on until you are happy. This is very counterproductive.

You might have a look at these bug reports:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=167926 http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=315051

I wrote a patch for the 1st one to add a slider for preview opacity which allows one to temporarily use a different opacity for the layer being transformed. The original layer stays there behind the previewed transform. Sometimes this is good, and sometimes this is annoying (the second bug above). If it's in the way, the normal layer opacity can be dragged to 0, leaving only the temporarily transparent preview visible.

I've been using my patch for several months now, and I personally find it really handy.

Tom
----------
http://www.tomlechner.com

Alexandre Prokoudine
2007-06-19 12:14:45 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

On 3/17/07, Tom Lechner wrote:

scaling. But when you start dragging nodes with a Scale tool, a transparent layer under transformation becomes opaque, until you finish this transformation. This is quite annoying, because you have
to finish transformation, look, if you did it right, then adjust once
again, finish, look, adjust, finish .... and so on until you are happy. This is very counterproductive.

You might have a look at these bug reports:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=167926 http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=315051

I see that patch from the first entry is bumped to 2.6, but what about the second one? Would it be a good idea to try getting the patch from #315051 into 2.4, which means patch review (which I cannot do), testing (which I can do a lot) and integration (can't do again)?

Alexandre