RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Trial of improved color management

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Trial of improved color management Yoshinori Yamakawa 18 Feb 09:46
Trial of improved color management Yoshinori Yamakawa 18 Feb 10:02
  Trial of improved color management Sven Neumann 18 Feb 11:13
  Trial of improved color management Sven Neumann 20 Feb 20:09
Yoshinori Yamakawa
2007-02-18 09:46:56 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi.

I improved lcms display filter for the reference.

More informations, examples, patch and Win32 binaries are available at: http://cue.yellowmagic.info/softwares/cdisplay_lcms_trial.html

--

Yoshinori Yamakawa yam@yellowmagic.info

Yoshinori Yamakawa
2007-02-18 10:02:59 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi.

More informations, examples, patch and Win32 binaries are available at: http://cue.yellowmagic.info/softwares/cdisplay_lcms_trial.html

--

Yoshinori Yamakawa yam@yellowmagic.info

Sven Neumann
2007-02-18 11:13:54 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Sun, 2007-02-18 at 18:02 +0900, Yoshinori Yamakawa wrote:

Why don't we just work on this together? The way it is now is that you confront me with a bunch of patches without having talked to me and without explaining their purpose. From a quick look I can see that there are some useful changes in there but also some things that need to be done differently. We could avoid a lot of duplicated efforts and wasted time on both sides if you would ask beforehand and work more closely with me. I would be more than happy to get some help with color management. After all it's the major blocker for 2.4 at the moment.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2007-02-20 20:09:28 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Sun, 2007-02-18 at 18:02 +0900, Yoshinori Yamakawa wrote:

Let me add some comments to this. Perhaps this can help to get some patches that can actually be committed. I am pasting snippets from your website here (it would have been much easier if you had sent a mail to the list instead of putting this online).

Color management(lcms) display filter Supports image's own color profile, so you can get better color preview on the monitor.

It is of course correct that the display filter needs to respect the color profile that is attached to the image. Your change does however implement this by including header files from the core in the display filter module. That may work but it is not acceptable from a software design point of view. We will have to add an API that allows display filter modules to ask for image parasites and also to monitor changes to image parasites. The display filter can then do it's job without needing to know anything about the internals of GIMP. This will allow us to change these internals and this will also allow us to use the same display filter modules to color-correct previews in plug-in dialogs.

lcms plug-in In the image properties dialog box, you can check whether the profile is embedded into the image.

I fail to see how this is useful. Can you explain why you made this change? The user shouldn't have to worry whether the profile is attached to the image or only implicitly set.

Sample scripts Utilities for assigning / converting colorspaces.

These scripts are useful but the plan was to add this functionality directly to the LCMS plug-in. The existing procedures just need to have dialogs added so that they can be run interactively. That should make for a nicer user interface than what Script-Fu can offer.

Sven