RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

add mouse action for brush scaling

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

add mouse action for brush scaling Alexander Rabtchevich 24 Jan 10:32
  add mouse action for brush scaling Thorsten Wilms 24 Jan 11:02
   add mouse action for brush scaling Alexander Rabtchevich 24 Jan 17:22
Alexander Rabtchevich
2007-01-24 10:32:03 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Currently scalable brush can be scaled with [ ] by default, what is very fine. Could a mouse scroll wheel + some key modifier be used to act the same as [ ] buttons?

I'm a right-handed person, so when I retouch a photo most of my actions are connected with mouse movements and some left hand actions: Ctr+H, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+wheel, Shift+wheel, Space. Rather often brush needs to be scaled, so I have to left mouse and press [ or ] several times. The left side of the keyboard is mostly taken with shotcuts.

I suggest adding Alt + wheel to act like [ ] for brush scaling. It could be very convenient to a user not to leave a mouse for keyboard and due the wheel is very well controllable and intuitive for scaling purposes.

Thorsten Wilms
2007-01-24 11:02:14 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 11:32:03AM +0200, Alexander Rabtchevich wrote:

Currently scalable brush can be scaled with [ ] by default, what is very fine. Could a mouse scroll wheel + some key modifier be used to act the same as [ ] buttons?

I couldn't find it in the shortcut editor (maybe I overlooked it). It should be listed there, right?

I'm a right-handed person, so when I retouch a photo most of my actions are connected with mouse movements and some left hand actions: Ctr+H, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+wheel, Shift+wheel, Space. Rather often brush needs to be scaled, so I have to left mouse and press [ or ] several times. The left side of the keyboard is mostly taken with shotcuts.

I suggest adding Alt + wheel to act like [ ] for brush scaling. It could be very convenient to a user not to leave a mouse for keyboard and due the wheel is very well controllable and intuitive for scaling purposes.

Hmm, Alt + wheel is mapped to opacity. Ctrl + wheel zooms.
Shift + wheel scrolls sideways.

While I prefer + and - for zooming, I guess some people would complain if ctrl + wheel got remapped.

Preferences -> Input Controlers allows to map mouse wheel events to actions, but I don't see actions for changing brush size.

Ctrl + Alt + wheel cycles through gradients. Shift + Alt + whell cycles through patterns. Shift + Ctrl + wheel cycles through brushes.

I think the last 3 are quite odd, but 2 keys plus wheel isn't exactly comfortable anyway, so I guess you wouldn't want an often used feature there.

--
Thorsten Wilms

Thorwil's Creature Illustrations: http://www.printfection.com/thorwil

Alexander Rabtchevich
2007-01-24 17:22:47 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Thorsten Wilms wrote:

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 11:32:03AM +0200, Alexander Rabtchevich wrote:

I couldn't find it in the shortcut editor (maybe I overlooked it). It should be listed there, right?

build
As I understand, it appeared there by default in 2.3.11 or other build close to it . Before it was possible to assign these keys manually in developers branch (and I did it).

Hmm, Alt + wheel is mapped to opacity. Ctrl + wheel zooms.
Shift + wheel scrolls sideways.

Ctrl+wheel, wheel itself, shift+wheel and space form a pretty complete set of picture movement and scaling. I like it and suffer then any other program doesn't provide wheel and Ctrl+wheel.

Preferences -> Input Controlers allows to map mouse wheel events to actions, but I don't see actions for changing brush size.

Thank you for solution to the problem. I've assigned Alt+wheel to context->brush-radius-decrease and context->brush-radius-increase and feel myself happy for now :).