RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Getting console messages from GIMP on Win32

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Getting console messages from GIMP on Win32 David Gowers 16 Dec 12:22
  Getting console messages from GIMP on Win32 Tor Lillqvist 16 Dec 13:06
  Getting console messages from GIMP on Win32 Hans Breuer 16 Dec 14:10
   Getting console messages from GIMP on Win32 Michael Schumacher 16 Dec 14:29
David Gowers
2006-12-16 12:22:49 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,
Is there some way of convincing GIMP to send warning/error/informative messages to a useful place on Win32? I have some PyGimp plugins, written for Linux GIMP, that either fail to register their procedures or do not run properly when I install them on the Win32 platform. Debugging 'blind' helped me to fix the plugins that would register OK but crash when running, but in order to fix the remainder of them, I need the messages like I get on Linux, since that is where the tracebacks show up when a plugin crashes.

The obvious '-c' parameter given in the man page has no effect, and the various documentation on the Windows version doesn't have anything relevant.

Thanks.

Tor Lillqvist
2006-12-16 13:06:27 UTC (over 17 years ago)

David Gowers writes:
> Is there some way of convincing GIMP to send warning/error/informative > messages to a useful place on Win32?

Start GIMP with the command: gimp-2.2 >gimp.log 2>&1

from cmd.exe. This requires that you have added GIMP's bin folder to your PATH.

--tml

Hans Breuer
2006-12-16 14:10:07 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 16.12.2006 12:22, David Gowers wrote:

Hi,
Is there some way of convincing GIMP to send warning/error/informative messages to a useful place on Win32? I have some PyGimp plugins, written for Linux GIMP, that either fail to register their procedures or do not run properly when I install them on the Win32 platform. Debugging 'blind' helped me to fix the plugins that would register OK but crash when running, but in order to fix the remainder of them, I need the messages like I get on Linux, since that is where the tracebacks show up when a plugin crashes.

The obvious '-c' parameter given in the man page has no effect, and the various documentation on the Windows version doesn't have anything relevant.

My gimp build, when asked for the obvious (built-in) documenation, gives

D:\graph\gimp-2.3.13\bin>gimp --help Usage:
gimp [OPTION...] [FILE|URI...]

Help Options: -?, --help Show help options --help-all Show all help options --help-gtk Show GTK+ Options

Application Options: -v, --version Show version information and exit --license Show license information and exit --verbose Be more verbose -i, --no-interface Run without a user interface -d, --no-data Do not load brushes, gradients, patterns, ... -f, --no-fonts Do not load any fonts -s, --no-splash Do not show a startup window --no-shm Do not use shared memory between GIMP and plugi
ns
--no-cpu-accel Do not use special CPU acceleration functions --session= Use an alternate sessionrc file --gimprc= Use an alternate user gimprc file --system-gimprc= Use an alternate system gimprc file -b, --batch= Batch command to run (can be used multiple time
s)
--batch-interpreter= The procedure to process batch commands with --console-messages Send messages to console instead of using a dialog
--pdb-compat-mode= PDB compatibility mode (off|on|warn) --stack-trace-mode= Debug in case of a crash (never|query|always) --debug-handlers Enable non-fatal debugging signal handlers --g-fatal-warnings Make all warnings fatal --dump-gimprc Output a gimprc file with default settings --display=DISPLAY X display to use

When started with "gimp --console-messages" the console window remains open and the redirection works as expected. The shortcut "-c" (for console messages?) seems to be not implemented, at least not in gimp/app/main.c where the other command line parameters are declared.

Beware though, that this kind of redirection requires gimp to be build as a "console application" rather than a "windows application". I don't know if the 'official' build of gimp for windoze still is.

If you are only interested in the registration process (and don't need a graphical interface) you also can try to run "gimp-console" rather than "gimp". The plug-in intialization process is supposed to be the same.

Hans

-------- Hans "at" Breuer "dot" Org ----------- Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it. -- Dilbert

Michael Schumacher
2006-12-16 14:29:32 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Von: Hans Breuer

Beware though, that this kind of redirection requires gimp to be build as a "console application" rather than a "windows application". I don't know if the 'official' build of gimp for windoze still is.

Should be sufficient to run it from a reasonably advanced shell, like e.g. MinGW's bash.

HTH, Michael