RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Polygonal Selection Tool Re: Bug 119646

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Polygonal Selection Tool Re: Bug 119646 Paul Gnuyen 03 Dec 18:12
  Polygonal Selection Tool Re: Bug 119646 Paul Gnuyen 08 Dec 19:19
   Polygonal Selection Tool Re: Bug 119646 David Gowers 08 Dec 21:30
   Polygonal Selection Tool Re: Bug 119646 Sven Neumann 09 Dec 01:57
   Polygonal Selection Tool Re: Bug 119646 Sven Neumann 10 Dec 16:56
    Polygonal Selection Tool Re: Bug 119646 Paul Gnuyen 16 Dec 10:52
     Polygonal Selection Tool Re: Bug 119646 David Gowers 16 Dec 11:26
     Polygonal Selection Tool Re: Bug 119646 peter sikking 16 Dec 13:01
      Polygonal Selection Tool Re: Bug 119646 Paul Gnuyen 17 Dec 03:25
     Polygonal Selection Tool Re: Bug 119646 Sven Neumann 16 Dec 19:32
Paul Gnuyen
2006-12-03 18:12:15 UTC (over 17 years ago)

As lobotomizing the select from shapes tool was rejected, would creating a new tool called the Polygonal Selection tool which would work in the way the lobotomized select from shapes tool does (rejected patch) be acceptable? If so, how about turning "intelligence" on with a checkbox in that tool. That way the select from shapes tool could be deprecated, and the intelligence could be added as a feature to both the polygonal selection tool as well as the lasso tool.

Thanks, Paul

Paul Gnuyen
2006-12-08 19:19:28 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Implementing this feature as requested, I find that there appears to be no way for a tool to handle a double click event as it is eaten further up. Is handling double click impossible from a tool? I currently have the tool autocomplete when someone hits enter, but I'm sure double click would be nicer.

Thanks!

David Gowers
2006-12-08 21:30:21 UTC (over 17 years ago)

So, are you saying that you never receive events where event->type == GDK_2BUTTON_PRESS?
Is there any other way to implement the action you want to bind to doubleclicking? No other tool uses doubleclicking, and consistency is often preferable. Enter should probably be kept even if you do implement another way of accessing autocomplete, since it is consistent with the workings of the transform tools (and a few others?) Personally, I would find +click more comfortable than double clicking - I would expect when double clicking that 2 new points would be added in the location of my clicks.

On 12/9/06, Paul Gnuyen wrote:

Implementing this feature as requested, I find that there appears to be no way for a tool to handle a double click event as it is eaten further up. Is handling double click impossible from a tool? I currently have the tool autocomplete when someone hits enter, but I'm sure double click would be nicer.

Thanks!

Sven Neumann
2006-12-09 01:57:29 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 10:19 -0800, Paul Gnuyen wrote:

All our tools are activated on Enter. Double-click doesn't exist in the tool API. IMO it's way more important to have consistent tools, so please stick with the default behaviour.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2006-12-10 16:56:19 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

Implementing this feature as requested,

I don't think that a full specification of the polygonal selection tool exists, or am I missing something? I would very much appreciate if new tools or major modifications to existing tools could be discussed and specified before any code is written. Otherwise it's likely that changes will have to be rejected later, which is always frustrating for all parties.

Sven

Paul Gnuyen
2006-12-16 10:52:01 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I don't know what full specifications look like for tools in the gimp but here's a shot.

The Polygonal Selection Tool

Selects regions by connecting points clicked with line segments

Like polygonal select, shift on first click adds to selection, ctrl subtracts, both intersect, alt moves.

Holding shift after the first point has been placed constrains line segments to absolute angles divisible by 45.

Clicking the last point completes the selection, or hitting enter.

I'm not sure which is more congruent with the other tools, should the decision to "add, subtract, or intersect" selection with modifier keys be made upon enter or first click?

Thanks

On Sun, 2006-12-10 at 16:56 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Implementing this feature as requested,

I don't think that a full specification of the polygonal selection tool exists, or am I missing something? I would very much appreciate if new tools or major modifications to existing tools could be discussed and specified before any code is written. Otherwise it's likely that changes will have to be rejected later, which is always frustrating for all parties.

Sven

David Gowers
2006-12-16 11:26:25 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 12/16/06, Paul Gnuyen wrote:

I don't know what full specifications look like for tools in the gimp but here's a shot.

Like polygonal select, shift on first click adds to selection, ctrl subtracts, both intersect, alt moves.

Holding shift after the first point has been placed constrains line segments to absolute angles divisible by 45.

What about ctrl for 15degree constraints, which is what is used by eg. the Measure tool?

Otherwise, your spec looks okay to me.

peter sikking
2006-12-16 13:01:26 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Paul Gnuyen wrote:

There is a cost (complexity, usage of UI bandwidth) to every tool that is added to GIMP.

May I ask why are you trying add a tool that does a small part of what the path tool does, and then an automatic path-to-selection?

If you can tell me why it is worth the cost, I can help you to make the specification better.

--ps

principal user interaction architect man + machine interface works

http://mmiworks.net/blog : on interaction architecture

Sven Neumann
2006-12-16 19:32:39 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 01:52 -0800, Paul Gnuyen wrote:

Usually you would start by explaining what the tool is good for. Perhaps explaining some typical usage scenarios.

Sven

Paul Gnuyen
2006-12-17 03:25:42 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Bug 119646's priority is marked as high, I thought this was accepted as desirable.

The polygonal select tool will act as the freehand tool, making quick additions and subtractions easily done. The path tool requires more clicking and does not support the enabling/disabling of feathering or antialiasing nor the ability to quickly make polygonal shape selections that are at controlled angles. People desire this tool as evidenced by the many dupes of the enhancement request. This is the way all other major graphics programs work, so people are used to this tool and are used to it's workflow.

While one could argue, that the freehand tool, polygonal select, and intelligent select could be merged into the same tool, polygonal selection was added to the select shapes from image tool, and was rejected on the basis that such functionality should not be hidden and be easier to access.

On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 13:01 +0100, peter sikking wrote:

Paul Gnuyen wrote:

There is a cost (complexity, usage of UI bandwidth) to every tool that is added to GIMP.

May I ask why are you trying add a tool that does a small part of what the path tool does, and then an automatic path-to-selection?

If you can tell me why it is worth the cost, I can help you to make the specification better.

--ps

principal user interaction architect man + machine interface works

http://mmiworks.net/blog : on interaction architecture