RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Enabling Python on the Windows platform

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Enabling Python on the Windows platform David Gowers 17 Oct 00:10
  Enabling Python on the Windows platform Kevin Cozens 17 Oct 01:07
  Enabling Python on the Windows platform jernej@ena.si 17 Oct 13:53
   Enabling Python on the Windows platform David Gowers 17 Oct 14:25
David Gowers
2006-10-17 00:10:25 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Quoting the ChangeLog:

"
2006-10-16 Kevin Cozens

* configure.in: Set enable_python to yes if it wasn't set to no. Fixes display of Python status in "Optional Plug-Ins" section. "

Does this have any effect on whether or not I'll be able to use PyGimp in Windows (2000)?
I've installed every relevant package*, and upon gimp install, the PyGimp option is available and enabled by default -- but the console doesn't actually show up, nor do any of the Python-based plugins.

I've read the previous few threads, and tried the advice of editing the interpreters file. The entries that I was supposed to add are already there.

This is a binary installation (that is, the system doesn't have a compiler/ development env installed, so installation is from binary packages.). Is there something I might be missing? Will Kevin's quoted change actually fix this in the next released binaries?

*glib, pango, gtk, python, pygtk..

Kevin Cozens
2006-10-17 01:07:34 UTC (over 17 years ago)

David Gowers wrote:

Quoting the ChangeLog:
* configure.in : Set enable_python to yes if it wasn't set to no.
Fixes display of Python status in "Optional Plug-Ins" section. "

Does this have any effect on whether or not I'll be able to use PyGimp in Windows (2000)?

The above mentioned change has no effect on whether you can or can not use Python-based plug-ins. The change was made so that the output from running ./configure would say "Python: yes" instead of "Python:" when GIMP was built with support for Python enabled.

jernej@ena.si
2006-10-17 13:53:29 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 0:10:25, David Gowers wrote:

Which Python distribution did you install? Current GIMP versions are compiled with ActiveState Python 2.4, but I'll probably switch to the official python.org releases in the future.

David Gowers
2006-10-17 14:25:33 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 10/17/06, jernej@ena.si wrote:

On Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 0:10:25, David Gowers wrote:

Which Python distribution did you install? Current GIMP versions are compiled with ActiveState Python 2.4, but I'll probably switch to the official python.org releases in the future.

Ah, this might explain it, I'm using a python.org release. The failure is completely silent -- no error messages are given by gimp at all. I'm downloading ActiveState Python now, will try it and see if it fixes anything.