RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

On holidays, and summary of GIMP money

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

On holidays, and summary of GIMP money Dave Neary 04 Aug 16:48
  On holidays, and summary of GIMP money Sven Neumann 08 Aug 10:17
Dave Neary
2006-08-04 16:48:58 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi all,

From this evening (in about an hour) I will be on vacation, and away

from a computer (yes, 100%) until August 28th. I've disabled mail from the lists, but if anyone urgently needs approval for a GIMP expense, Sven and mitch can both approve expenditure from the GIMP fund at GNOME.

As I said on IRC last night, in case anyone is wondering, the GIMP currently has roughly $21,000 in the GNOME fund. It was donated for the development of the GIMP, and should be used for expenditures which further the goals of the GIMP project. I was pressed for an answer on what I thought that kind of expenditure might be, and here's a subset of the answers I gave:

1. Paying for the GIMP user manual to get into a publishable state, and get it published
2. Paying for travel/participation in certain conferences which have the potential to bring attention, money or people to the project 3. Paying to improve our infrastructure (reminder: there's a $500 cheque waiting for yosh, and I'm waiting for a quote for off-site back-up) 4. Paying for GIMP conferences and get-togethers (although I really think we should fundraise for conferences, as I did this year and in Kristiansand

Things I don't think we should spend money on: 1. Hardware for individual developers (computers, scanners, cameras, tablets, etc). We should try to fundraise for this when people can fill a specific need (working on GIMP support for a tablet, for example), but in general buying people toys isn't useful 2. A server - in spite of what I said in point 3 above, I think we should be using our great contacts with GNOME, RedHat, HP, Canonical and others to get hosting, get use of servers and services outside of XCF, and make our sysadmin process more transparent, rather than spending money on hardware which could be donated 3. Sending people to any old conference - in general, if you're giving a talk on the GIMP in a conference, we should ask the conference organiser first, the GIMP second for sponsorship. And I don't think it's appropriate to pay for travel from London to Boston for someone to man a stand, even though I was prepared to do this last month. We should instead work on building up a good group of people worldwide who can give GIMP presentations and man GIMP stands, and make sure they're co-ordinating.

So that's my summary of GIMP money - there may be some opposition to some of these things, so let's have at 'em.

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2006-08-08 10:17:56 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 16:48 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:

As I said on IRC last night, in case anyone is wondering, the GIMP currently has roughly $21,000 in the GNOME fund.

Wow, I wasn't aware that that much money had piled up.

1. Paying for the GIMP user manual to get into a publishable state, and get it published
2. Paying for travel/participation in certain conferences which have the potential to bring attention, money or people to the project 3. Paying to improve our infrastructure (reminder: there's a $500 cheque waiting for yosh, and I'm waiting for a quote for off-site back-up) 4. Paying for GIMP conferences and get-togethers (although I really think we should fundraise for conferences, as I did this year and in Kristiansand

Agreed. I would also like to suggest that we consider paying people to get together for the purpose of GIMP development. That doesn't have to be a full-fledged developer conference. But if two or more people want to devote a weekend to hacking on GIMP or designing new features or user interfaces, we could consider to come up for travel expenses.

I am currently talking to some usability people and user interface designers who would like to get further involved in GIMP development, especially when it comes to designing a user interface that leverages the power of GEGL. We will need to bring these people together with experienced GIMP users and I think that this would also be good use for the money that has been donated for GIMP development.

Sven

Things I don't think we should spend money on: 1. Hardware for individual developers (computers, scanners, cameras, tablets, etc). We should try to fundraise for this when people can fill a specific need (working on GIMP support for a tablet, for example), but in general buying people toys isn't useful 2. A server - in spite of what I said in point 3 above, I think we should be using our great contacts with GNOME, RedHat, HP, Canonical and others to get hosting, get use of servers and services outside of XCF, and make our sysadmin process more transparent, rather than spending money on hardware which could be donated 3. Sending people to any old conference - in general, if you're giving a talk on the GIMP in a conference, we should ask the conference organiser first, the GIMP second for sponsorship. And I don't think it's appropriate to pay for travel from London to Boston for someone to man a stand, even though I was prepared to do this last month. We should instead work on building up a good group of people worldwide who can give GIMP presentations and man GIMP stands, and make sure they're co-ordinating.

So that's my summary of GIMP money - there may be some opposition to some of these things, so let's have at 'em.

Cheers, Dave.