RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Patches (was: Re: It's getting worse...)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

20060726230137.16925A678F4@... 07 Oct 20:24
  Patches (was: Re: It's getting worse...) Dave Neary 27 Jul 10:11
   Patches (was: Re: It's getting worse...) Karl Günter Wünsch 27 Jul 10:14
   Patches (was: Re: It's getting worse...) Carol Spears 27 Jul 10:47
    Patches (was: Re: It's getting worse...) Neil Thompson 27 Jul 11:39
     Patches (was: Re: It's getting worse...) Carol Spears 27 Jul 23:51
Dave Neary
2006-07-27 10:11:18 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hi,

Michael Schumacher wrote:

The preferred way to submit patches is to attach them to the corresponding bug in Bugzilla. It is easier to keep track of them there, e.g. by indicating that they need work, obsoleting old ones by newly added ones etc.

See http://developer.gimp.org/ for more hints about GIMP development.

I know you're trying to be helpful here, but when someone submits a patch (by any medium), I think our first response should be "thank you".

Since this is Karl's first patch, it would be nice to put the patch in Bugzilla for him, and say "Thanks Karl! I've attached your patch to the bugzilla report for review." I'm guessing Karl is a smart guy, and would deduce "Ah - patches should probably be submitted in Bugzilla for review". I've noticed that Sven does things like that regularly, by the way.

If your first response is "you're doing it wrong - here's how to send a patch", the chances of a next time are reduced. Now, I know I'm slightly exaggerating the tone, but small stuff like this makes a difference in making a place more welcoming and friendly, and we should all try to make the developers mailing list more welcoming and friendly.

Cheers, Dave.

Karl Günter Wünsch
2006-07-27 10:14:36 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Thursday 27 July 2006 10:11, Dave Neary wrote:

I know you're trying to be helpful here, but when someone submits a patch (by any medium), I think our first response should be "thank you".

Don't worry, I made some mistakes on my first foray into the mailing list as everyone can read here...

Since this is Karl's first patch, it would be nice to put the patch in Bugzilla for him, and say "Thanks Karl! I've attached your patch to the bugzilla report for review."

I was just in progress of doing that myself as I had read the HACKING file on http://developer.gimp.org already and there it tells you to submit the patch in two ways, first to the mailing list and second to a - if necessary new - bugzilla entry and I was following these instructions to the letter...

Carol Spears
2006-07-27 10:47:54 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 10:11:18AM +0200, Dave Neary wrote:

Michael Schumacher wrote:

The preferred way to submit patches is to attach them to the corresponding bug in Bugzilla. It is easier to keep track of them there, e.g. by indicating that they need work, obsoleting old ones by newly added ones etc.

See http://developer.gimp.org/ for more hints about GIMP development.

I know that you are trying to help things out here, dave, but when someone who is already busy with things decides to help direct traffic, our first response should be, "yay! michael is still active" and then, "thank you, michael".

Since this is Karl's first patch, it would be nice to put the patch in Bugzilla for him, and say "Thanks Karl! I've attached your patch to the bugzilla report for review." I'm guessing Karl is a smart guy, and would deduce "Ah - patches should probably be submitted in Bugzilla for review". I've noticed that Sven does things like that regularly, by the way.

If your first response is "you're doing it wrong - here's how to send a patch", the chances of a next time are reduced. Now, I know I'm slightly exaggerating the tone, but small stuff like this makes a difference in making a place more welcoming and friendly, and we should all try to make the developers mailing list more welcoming and friendly.

since michael is showing signs of perhaps juggling a few too many things i suggest that our tone be, "Michael, what can I do to help you" instead of "you can do this additional thing better if you do this thing i think you should do". this would help for everyone to keep it in perspective.

and dave, thanks for your continued interest and willingness to express an opinion of how everyone should speak to each other. without such dedication to the project, i wonder where we would be now?

carol

Neil Thompson
2006-07-27 11:39:44 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 01:47:54AM -0700, Carol Spears wrote:

Just go away Carol.

Carol Spears
2006-07-27 23:51:01 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 11:39:44AM +0200, Neil Thompson wrote:

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 01:47:54AM -0700, Carol Spears wrote:

Just go away Carol.