RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

SoC - only four weeks left

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

SoC - only four weeks left Michael Schumacher 24 Jul 20:54
  SoC - only four weeks left Simon Budig 25 Jul 17:52
   SoC - only four weeks left David Gowers 25 Jul 20:37
  SoC - only four weeks left Michael Schumacher 25 Jul 20:49
Michael Schumacher
2006-07-24 20:54:35 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hi there,

this is a gentle reminder that the deadline for SoC code is August 21st, four weeks from now. A more precise countdown is available at http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?day=21&month=8&year=2006&hour=08&min=00&sec=00&p0=224

It would be nice if everyone who is involved in SoC could provide a short status report - the overall progress, maybe some results (screen shots are usually very useful :). Or problems, if any.

Let's start with the project I'm mentoring, the

GIMP resources repository

Progress: good until a short time before the midterm evaluation - a database layout and some initial code, a registry export script, ...

Current status: unknown, I don't get any response to my mails and Lauris doesn't show up on IRC.

If I don't hear anything soon, I'll have to declare this project dead - which would be very unfortunate, given the effort that has been spent on it already.

That's the bad news so far. I hope someone else has better news about his project.

Regards,
Michael

Simon Budig
2006-07-25 17:52:10 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Michael Schumacher (schumaml@gmx.de) wrote:

It would be nice if everyone who is involved in SoC could provide a short status report - the overall progress, maybe some results (screen shots are usually very useful :). Or problems, if any.

I am mentoring two projects:

Proposal for implementing vector layers in the GIMP ---------------------------------------------------

Henk Boom is working on implementing vector layers for the GIMP and has made nice progress. He basically has vector layers that work, a rudimentary dialog for the stroke/fill properties, which could use some HIG/GUI review, which is probably the place where input from you would be helpful.

The vector layers do not yet get stored in XCF, there is a crash lurking somewhere, we lack some updates (which I just figured out with mitch to be a missing gimp_image_flush ()) and additional stroke types would be nice, although they are probably the least important now.

Check out the soc-2006-vector-layers branch of this stuff and play with it. I hope Henk is reading this as well and will get good input from you.

Henk logs his progress at http://lunarcrisis.pooq.com/Gimp/SoC2006Log .

Proposal for wavelets-based imaging applications in GIMP --------------------------------------------------------

Divyanshu Vats works on several wavelet based image manipulation tools. His first thing was a JPEG2000 plugin, he is now working on denoising and inverse halftoning.

This is more a research-type project. He has some interesting results. Since he is mainly working on standalone plugins the code is not in the GIMPs cvs yet.

He logs his progress at http://deebuv.wordpress.com/, although I've seen stuff that is not visible there yet. From the images he mailed me he has inverse halftoning basically working, but I did not see that code yet.

I'd welcome if both of my mentees (?) would present their view on the current status on the gimp-developer mailing list as well :-)

I hope this helps, Simon

David Gowers
2006-07-25 20:37:01 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On 7/26/06, Simon Budig wrote:

Proposal for implementing vector layers in the GIMP ---------------------------------------------------

Henk Boom is working on implementing vector layers for the GIMP and has made nice progress. He basically has vector layers that work, a rudimentary dialog for the stroke/fill properties, which could use some HIG/GUI review, which is probably the place where input from you would be helpful.

The vector layers do not yet get stored in XCF, there is a crash lurking somewhere, we lack some updates (which I just figured out with mitch to be a missing gimp_image_flush ()) and additional stroke types would be nice, although they are probably the least important now.

.. and transforms don't work right; I just checked using the skew tool. I figure you ought to be able to transform the vector layer independently rather than transforming it's base path. otherwise, looks nice (I am in a hurry here.)

Michael Schumacher
2006-07-25 20:49:04 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Michael Schumacher wrote:

Current status: unknown, I don't get any response to my mails and Lauris doesn't show up on IRC.

Update: current status is known. Lauris is on vacation and has only limited access to email right now, but he is working on the project. The CVS account has been created, too, so the code can be committed when he returns.

P.S. .. and apparently some of my mails didn't arrive - next SoC, *all* communication will go over a mailing list

Regards, Michael