RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

[PATCH] About dialog shows unstable status

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

[PATCH] About dialog shows unstable status Mukund 18 Jul 20:58
  [PATCH] About dialog shows unstable status Mukund 18 Jul 21:04
   [PATCH] About dialog shows unstable status Mukund 19 Jul 01:27
    [PATCH] About dialog shows unstable status Sven Neumann 19 Jul 08:41
     [PATCH] About dialog shows unstable status Mukund 19 Jul 11:32
     [PATCH] About dialog shows unstable status Mukund 20 Jul 14:23
      [PATCH] About dialog shows unstable status Mukund 24 Jul 14:11
    [PATCH] About dialog shows unstable status Sven Neumann 19 Jul 08:50
     [PATCH] About dialog shows unstable status Mukund 19 Jul 11:37
      [PATCH] About dialog shows unstable status Sven Neumann 08 Aug 10:45
Mukund
2006-07-18 20:58:56 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Patch is attached for a simple thing. Also adds some spacing to make the text appear nicer. If you approve, I'll commit it.

Screenshot: http://www.mukund.org/temp/about-2.png

Mukund
2006-07-18 21:04:08 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 19:58 +0100, Mukund wrote:

Patch is attached for a simple thing. Also adds some spacing to make the text appear nicer. If you approve, I'll commit it.

Ugh.. that's GIMP_UNSTABLE.. not GUM_UNSTABLE in the patch.

Corrected patch is attached.

Mukund

Mukund
2006-07-19 01:27:46 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Mukund wrote:

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 19:58 +0100, Mukund wrote:

Ugh.. that's GIMP_UNSTABLE.. not GUM_UNSTABLE in the patch.

Corrected patch is attached.

With further input from Alan Horkan (idea to add descriptive comment) and UnNamed (the actual text of comment), we have a new patch (attached).

This is how the about dialog looks like now: http://www.mukund.org/temp/about-3.png

Sven Neumann
2006-07-19 08:41:54 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 00:27 +0100, Mukund wrote:

#define GIMP_COPYRIGHT \ - _("Copyright © 1995-2006\n" \
- "Spencer Kimball, Peter Mattis and the GIMP Development Team") + _("Copyright © 1995-2006\n" \ + "Spencer Kimball, Peter Mattis\n" \ + "and the GIMP Development Team")

Why is there a newline inserted here? I think it looked a lot better without it and there's no semantic reason why there should be a newline at this place.

#define GIMP_LICENSE \ - _("GIMP is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it " \
+ _("\n"
\
+ "GIMP is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it " \
"under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by

Please do not use newlines do adjust spacing. Especially not in translatable strings. The spacing in the about dialog is set to what the HIG suggests and should be fine without such hacks. If you really think it needs to be changed, please file a bug-report against GTK+.

+#ifdef GIMP_UNSTABLE + gchar *comment = g_strconcat (GIMP_DESCRIPTION, "\n\n", + _("This is an unstable development release."),
+ "\n", NULL); +#endif

Same comment applies here.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2006-07-19 08:50:15 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 00:27 +0100, Mukund wrote:

With further input from Alan Horkan (idea to add descriptive comment)

I think that the description should stay "GNU Image Manipulation Program" as it is now. The new text is IMO too long and I really like the fact that the current About dialog prominently expands the GIMP acronym. This doesn't really work any longer with the proposed changes.

I suggest that we keep the dialog as is for stable releases. For unstable releases, it would be nice to have a small disclaimer like you proposed. Please implement this by adding another label to the vbox.

Sven

Mukund
2006-07-19 11:32:16 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi Sven

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 08:41 +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Please do not use newlines do adjust spacing. Especially not in translatable strings. The spacing in the about dialog is set to what the HIG suggests and should be fine without such hacks. If you really think it needs to be changed, please file a bug-report against GTK+.

In hindsight, I agree and I will remove the newlines.

Mukund

Mukund
2006-07-19 11:37:38 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi Sven

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 08:50 +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

With further input from Alan Horkan (idea to add descriptive comment)

I think that the description should stay "GNU Image Manipulation Program" as it is now. The new text is IMO too long and I really like the fact that the current About dialog prominently expands the GIMP acronym. This doesn't really work any longer with the proposed changes.

IMHO, I prefer Alan Horkan's comment about the descriptive text. I think this is what the field is for too, to describe what the application does tersely. But if you think it's unnecessary, I'll remove it out.

I suggest that we keep the dialog as is for stable releases. For unstable releases, it would be nice to have a small disclaimer like you proposed. Please implement this by adding another label to the vbox.

Yes it was too stupid of me to append the text to the comment field as it killed the semantic meaning of the field. I'll add another label to the dialog.

Mukund

Mukund
2006-07-20 14:23:37 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi Sven

I have made the required changes (removed newlines; moved message into a label) except I kept the descriptive text. If you think it's a bad idea still, I'll remove it. Otherwise, if you are okay with the patch (attached), I'll commit it.

http://www.mukund.org/temp/about-4.png

Mukund

Mukund
2006-07-24 14:11:23 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 13:23 +0100, Mukund wrote:

I have made the required changes (removed newlines; moved message into a label) except I kept the descriptive text. If you think it's a bad idea still, I'll remove it. Otherwise, if you are okay with the patch (attached), I'll commit it.

http://www.mukund.org/temp/about-4.png

Is this patch fine?

Mukund

Sven Neumann
2006-08-08 10:45:06 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 10:37 +0100, Mukund wrote:

IMHO, I prefer Alan Horkan's comment about the descriptive text. I think this is what the field is for too, to describe what the application does tersely. But if you think it's unnecessary, I'll remove it out.

I think that the long description overloads the dialog and I would really like to see "GNU Image Manipulation Program" right below the abbreviation "GIMP".

The descriptive text is already in the gimp.desktop file and from there it is a lot more visible to the user. Perhaps we should review the description there and use the wording that you and Alan suggested.

Sven