RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

XCF format specification

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

XCF format specification Henning Makholm 05 Jul 20:44
  XCF format specification Sven Neumann 05 Jul 21:54
   XCF format specification Henning Makholm 06 Jul 12:49
XCF format specification Dave Neary 06 Jul 11:47
  XCF format specification Henning Makholm 06 Jul 13:16
  XCF format specification Sven Neumann 06 Jul 21:44
  XCF format specification Henning Makholm 09 Jul 22:12
Henning Makholm
2006-07-05 20:44:18 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

XCF format specification

The XCF file format is currently documented primarily by the Gimp source, and by the very old and sketchy devel-docs/xcf.txt in the source tree.

I have attempted to write a better specification, encouraged by Dave Neary and partly based on my experiences writing a third-party XCF reader (xcftools, at ). It is at

http://henning.makholm.net/xcftools/xcfspec.txt

I would like to contribute it as a replacement for xcf.txt, but I would like it to be correct first. I would appreciate it if somebody who are familiar with the format could look over my text and check it for obvious mistakes.

Related to this: While researching the format I discovered a buffer overrun somewhere in the XCF parsing code. Is there a recommended way to report security bugs confidentially? (I asked on IRC and was encouraged to just use the public bugzilla, but I'm uncomfortable by following such advice gathered on a lazy IRC channel).

Sven Neumann
2006-07-05 21:54:20 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

XCF format specification

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 20:44 +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:

Related to this: While researching the format I discovered a buffer overrun somewhere in the XCF parsing code. Is there a recommended way to report security bugs confidentially? (I asked on IRC and was encouraged to just use the public bugzilla, but I'm uncomfortable by following such advice gathered on a lazy IRC channel).

Please use Bugzilla as you have been told on #gimp.

Sven

Dave Neary
2006-07-06 11:47:45 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

XCF format specification

Hi,

Wow! When you said you were putting it on your TODO list, I wasn't expecting it this quick, or this complete. This is amazing work.

The only think that I can see which is obviously missing is a definition of the effect of layer modes and masks on compositing.

I would like to contribute it as a replacement for xcf.txt, but I would like it to be correct first.

While that's an admirable goal, it's already vastly better than what's there already. So I think the sooner we get this into devel-docs the better.

Cheers, Dave.

Henning Makholm
2006-07-06 12:49:22 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

XCF format specification

Scripsit Sven Neumann

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 20:44 +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:

Related to this: While researching the format I discovered a buffer overrun somewhere in the XCF parsing code. Is there a recommended way to report security bugs confidentially?

Please use Bugzilla as you have been told on #gimp.

Okay. You can't say I didn't try, then. #346742.

Henning Makholm
2006-07-06 13:16:03 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

XCF format specification

Scripsit Dave Neary

This is amazing work.

:-)

The only think that I can see which is obviously missing is a definition of the effect of layer modes and masks on compositing.

Yes. Am working on that.

I would like to contribute it as a replacement for xcf.txt, but I would like it to be correct first.

While that's an admirable goal, it's already vastly better than what's there already. So I think the sooner we get this into devel-docs the better.

Well, OK. It is hereby GPL2+ licenced, so feel free. Be sure to change the "status of this document" section appropriately before committing.

Sven Neumann
2006-07-06 21:44:14 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

XCF format specification

Hi,

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 11:47 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:

Henning seems to be interested in improving the text so we should take this opportunity and review it before it is added to the source tree and forgotten there. I started to read the document last night but I haven't finished it yet. If someone else also wants to review it, please do so.

Sven

Henning Makholm
2006-07-09 22:12:30 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

XCF format specification

Scripsit Dave Neary

The text now includes a description of these. I am not completely happy with it (it feels rather disorganized), but it should be better than nothing.