RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gutenprint 5.0 snapshot

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gutenprint 5.0 snapshot Robert L Krawitz 04 Jul 05:16
  Gutenprint 5.0 snapshot Till Kamppeter 04 Jul 15:01
   Gutenprint 5.0 snapshot Robert L Krawitz 04 Jul 16:22
  Gutenprint 5.0 snapshot Till Kamppeter 04 Jul 16:15
Robert L Krawitz
2006-07-04 05:16:29 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gutenprint 5.0 snapshot

I've posted a Gutenprint 5.0 snapshot. Please test it.

I've also cleared up some null pointer references in debug code in the Ghostscript and CUPS drivers that cause problems on some platforms (I never caught them because the glibc printf handles null string pointers gracefully, but someone reported them on Solaris). I think I've caught all of these problems; they've been around for a long time.

GIMP folks, your big change is #9. I'm still waiting to hear whether 2.3 or 2.4 should be the cutover point for this (I could make it be a specific 2.3 point release, but I'd rather not). The documentation now refers to the Gutenprint plugin as an "enhanced Print plugin for the GIMP".

A) MAJOR CHANGES BETWEEN GUTENPRINT 5.0.0 RELEASE CANDIDATE 3 AND GUTENPRINT 5.0.0:

1) A serious problem with margins when printing from CUPS in some cases was introduced in Gutenprint 5.0.0-rc3. The symptoms are that when printing certain kinds of material on certain printers, the print is positioned incorrectly on the page (too far to the right and too far down the page). This problem has been fixed.

2) The Ghostscript driver used with Foomatic now prints all pages of a document correctly. Previously it did not print any page except the first page of a document, or printed all other pages with possibly incorrect settings (bug 1501816).

3) The Postscript driver now handles PPD files with non-integer imageable areas correctly in all locales (the PPD files certain HP inkjet printers using the HPIJS driver have non-integer imageable areas for some paper sizes). In 5.0.0-rc3, this was handled incorrectly in locales that do not use the decimal point (".") for separating fractions from integers.

4) The PPD file parameter is now always accessible when using the Postscript driver in third party Gutenprint-enabled applications. This was not an issue with the enhanced Print plugin for the GIMP.

5) The Epson driver now chooses unidirectional vs. bidirectional mode more intelligently on new printers that are capable of producing excellent quality in bidirectional mode at high resolutions. This improves printing speed with the default settings in certain cases and in some cases improves print quality.

6) The Epson driver offers the same quality choices as 5.0.0-rc2 for certain new printers such as the R800, R1800, and R2400. Certain quality choices (in particular Super Photo and Ultra Photo) were not available in 5.0.0-rc3.

7) Various minor problems in the PPD files have been fixed. The most notable change is that the names of the option groups have been shortened so that they are shorter than 40 characters in all cases except for one case in French.

8) The French, Danish, Hungarian, and Swedish translations have been updated.

9) In the GIMP 2.4 and above (forthcoming as of Gutenprint 5.0 release), the enhanced Print plugin will be named "Print with Gutenprint" so as not to collide with the GtkPrint-based plugin bundled with that version of the GIMP. The Print plugin bundled with GIMP 2.0 and 2.2 is based on Gimp-Print 4.2; the Print plugin in this package simply replaces the Print plugin in those versions of the GIMP.

Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security? Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642

Till Kamppeter
2006-07-04 15:01:12 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gutenprint 5.0 snapshot

Where did you upload the snapshot? Can you post a link? I did not find it on SourceForge. There 5.0.0rc3 is the newest. And under "snapshots" the newest is "20060528".

Till

Robert L Krawitz wrote:

I've posted a Gutenprint 5.0 snapshot. Please test it.

I've also cleared up some null pointer references in debug code in the Ghostscript and CUPS drivers that cause problems on some platforms (I never caught them because the glibc printf handles null string pointers gracefully, but someone reported them on Solaris). I think I've caught all of these problems; they've been around for a long time.

GIMP folks, your big change is #9. I'm still waiting to hear whether 2.3 or 2.4 should be the cutover point for this (I could make it be a specific 2.3 point release, but I'd rather not). The documentation now refers to the Gutenprint plugin as an "enhanced Print plugin for the GIMP".

A) MAJOR CHANGES BETWEEN GUTENPRINT 5.0.0 RELEASE CANDIDATE 3 AND GUTENPRINT 5.0.0:

1) A serious problem with margins when printing from CUPS in some cases was introduced in Gutenprint 5.0.0-rc3. The symptoms are that when printing certain kinds of material on certain printers, the print is positioned incorrectly on the page (too far to the right and too far down the page). This problem has been fixed.

2) The Ghostscript driver used with Foomatic now prints all pages of a document correctly. Previously it did not print any page except the first page of a document, or printed all other pages with possibly incorrect settings (bug 1501816).

3) The Postscript driver now handles PPD files with non-integer imageable areas correctly in all locales (the PPD files certain HP inkjet printers using the HPIJS driver have non-integer imageable areas for some paper sizes). In 5.0.0-rc3, this was handled incorrectly in locales that do not use the decimal point (".") for separating fractions from integers.

4) The PPD file parameter is now always accessible when using the Postscript driver in third party Gutenprint-enabled applications. This was not an issue with the enhanced Print plugin for the GIMP.

5) The Epson driver now chooses unidirectional vs. bidirectional mode more intelligently on new printers that are capable of producing excellent quality in bidirectional mode at high resolutions. This improves printing speed with the default settings in certain cases and in some cases improves print quality.

6) The Epson driver offers the same quality choices as 5.0.0-rc2 for certain new printers such as the R800, R1800, and R2400. Certain quality choices (in particular Super Photo and Ultra Photo) were not available in 5.0.0-rc3.

7) Various minor problems in the PPD files have been fixed. The most notable change is that the names of the option groups have been shortened so that they are shorter than 40 characters in all cases except for one case in French.

8) The French, Danish, Hungarian, and Swedish translations have been updated.

9) In the GIMP 2.4 and above (forthcoming as of Gutenprint 5.0 release), the enhanced Print plugin will be named "Print with Gutenprint" so as not to collide with the GtkPrint-based plugin bundled with that version of the GIMP. The Print plugin bundled with GIMP 2.0 and 2.2 is based on Gimp-Print 4.2; the Print plugin in this package simply replaces the Print plugin in those versions of the GIMP.

Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security? Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642

Till Kamppeter
2006-07-04 16:15:38 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gutenprint 5.0 snapshot

Robert L Krawitz wrote:

I get the following (was probably the same before):

/usr/share/cups/model/gutenprint/5.0/C/stp-escp2-cx4100.5.0.ppd.gz: FAIL **FAIL** Bad Resolution choice None! REF: Page 84, section 5.9 **FAIL** Bad Resolution choice 360x120sw! REF: Page 84, section 5.9 **FAIL** Bad Resolution choice 360x240sw! REF: Page 84, section 5.9 **FAIL** Bad Resolution choice 360sw! REF: Page 84, section 5.9 **FAIL** Bad Resolution choice 720x360sw! REF: Page 84, section 5.9 **FAIL** Bad Resolution choice 720sw! REF: Page 84, section 5.9 **FAIL** Bad Resolution choice 1440x720sw! REF: Page 84, section 5.9 **FAIL** Bad Resolution choice 720x1440sw! REF: Page 84, section 5.9 **FAIL** Bad Resolution choice 1440x1440ov! REF: Page 84, section 5.9 **FAIL** Bad Resolution choice 2880x1440sw! REF: Page 84, section 5.9 **FAIL** Bad Resolution choice 5760x1440sw! REF: Page 84, section 5.9 [root@majax g]#

due to not standard-conforming choice names in the "Resolution" option. I do not know whether it breaks printing, as I do not have an appropriate test printer here, but it can be fixed by changing the short name of the "Resolution" option to something else than "Resolution" or by renaming the choices.

Till

Robert L Krawitz
2006-07-04 16:22:51 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gutenprint 5.0 snapshot

Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 16:15:38 +0200 From: Till Kamppeter

Robert L Krawitz wrote: > 7) Various minor problems in the PPD files have been fixed. The > most notable change is that the names of the option groups have > been shortened so that they are shorter than 40 characters in all > cases except for one case in French.

I get the following (was probably the same before):

/usr/share/cups/model/gutenprint/5.0/C/stp-escp2-cx4100.5.0.ppd.gz: FAIL **FAIL** Bad Resolution choice None! REF: Page 84, section 5.9
**FAIL** Bad Resolution choice 360x120sw! REF: Page 84, section 5.9
**FAIL** Bad Resolution choice 360x240sw! REF: Page 84, section 5.9
**FAIL** Bad Resolution choice 360sw! REF: Page 84, section 5.9
**FAIL** Bad Resolution choice 720x360sw! REF: Page 84, section 5.9
**FAIL** Bad Resolution choice 720sw! REF: Page 84, section 5.9
**FAIL** Bad Resolution choice 1440x720sw! REF: Page 84, section 5.9
**FAIL** Bad Resolution choice 720x1440sw! REF: Page 84, section 5.9
**FAIL** Bad Resolution choice 1440x1440ov! REF: Page 84, section 5.9
**FAIL** Bad Resolution choice 2880x1440sw! REF: Page 84, section 5.9
**FAIL** Bad Resolution choice 5760x1440sw! REF: Page 84, section 5.9
[root@majax g]#

due to not standard-conforming choice names in the "Resolution" option. I do not know whether it breaks printing, as I do not have an appropriate test printer here, but it can be fixed by changing the short name of the "Resolution" option to something else than "Resolution" or by renaming the choices.

This has been around for as long as we've had a CUPS driver. My version of cupstestppd doesn't flag this, even in strict mode.

It's not clear to me how best to fix it (or whether to fix it at all). Some printers offer multiple choices for a given resolution, although that problem's nowhere near as bad as it was in 4.2. It's not clear to me that we can fix it in any kind of compatible way. Any ideas?