RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

SoC mentors & students: mid-term evaluations!

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

SoC mentors & students: mid-term evaluations! Michael Schumacher 29 Jun 21:56
20060630190006.DDDC8B3D3B2@... 07 Oct 20:24
  SoC mentors & students: mid-term evaluations! Dave Neary 03 Jul 11:03
   SoC mentors & students: mid-term evaluations! Sven Neumann 05 Jul 21:36
    SoC mentors & students: mid-term evaluations! Michael Schumacher 05 Jul 22:40
    SoC mentors & students: mid-term evaluations! David Neary 05 Jul 23:31
Michael Schumacher
2006-06-29 21:56:36 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hi everyone,

to every mentor of our Summer of Code (GSoC) projects: please do not forget to submit the mid-term evaluations for the Google Summer of Code. They are due on July 5th, 2006.

To the students: if your mentor has requested any additional information you didn't provide yet (project progress, planning, first milestones etc), you should get in touch with him.

Please note that the SoC project work does *not* have to be half way done, "mid-term" refers to the time, not the amount of work done - we all know that software projects are half-way done when they're finished 90%.

There are links to the survey(s) you have to submit on the mentor home page: http://code.google.com/soc/mentor_home.html

The evaluation is a multiple-choice questionnaire, so you don't have to write a multi-page essay if you don't want to (you can add comments, though). The most important question is about the mid-term payment ($2000) for the students - a "no" will deny the payment and disqualify the student from GSoC entirely. You should probably get in touch with other mentors if you think you have to do so - I hope no one does have to consider this.

Just in case, the timetable for GSoC is available at http://code.google.com/soc/mentorfaq.html#timeline

The finaly deadline is 21st August 2006, 15:00 UTC (08:00 PDT). So far, all deadline have been extended slightly, but you shouldn't count on this. The mid--term survey deadline has already been extended. The evaluations would have been due tomorrow - if you didn't know this, it's probably time to read the whole FAQ at http://code.google.com/soc/mentorfaq.html

Google's main communications channel towards the SoC admins and mentors is the group/list Summer-Administrators-2006, to be found at http://groups.google.com/group/Summer-Administrators-2006 It is recommended to be subscribed there.

HTH, Michael,
GIMP Resource Repository mentor

Dave Neary
2006-07-03 11:03:35 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hi,

Michael Schumacher wrote:

to every mentor of our Summer of Code (GSoC) projects: please do not forget to submit the mid-term evaluations for the Google Summer of Code. They are due on July 5th, 2006.

Thanks Michael for sending this reminder.

Google's main communications channel towards the SoC admins and mentors is the group/list Summer-Administrators-2006, to be found at http://groups.google.com/group/Summer-Administrators-2006 It is recommended to be subscribed there.

For mentors, it is not just recommended to be subscribed here, it is a requirement - as in this case, important information about the program is sent to this list, and I have been working on the assumption that all GIMP mentors are subscribed there.

In fact, I had understood that mentors were automatically subscribed to the list on being accepted as mentors - this is what happened for me.

Are there any mentors not on this list?

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2006-07-05 21:36:30 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 11:03 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:

For mentors, it is not just recommended to be subscribed here, it is a requirement - as in this case, important information about the program is sent to this list, and I have been working on the assumption that all GIMP mentors are subscribed there.

In fact, I had understood that mentors were automatically subscribed to the list on being accepted as mentors - this is what happened for me.

Sorry, but the amount of traffic coming in due to this list is not acceptable, especially since it can hardly be managed using the lousy gmail interface. I stopped using my gmail account when they subscribed me there.

Sven

Michael Schumacher
2006-07-05 22:40:30 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

Sorry, but the amount of traffic coming in due to this list is not acceptable, especially since it can hardly be managed using the lousy gmail interface. I stopped using my gmail account when they subscribed me there.

Then it's probably ok to play the human gateway once more and tell everyone that

- the deadline has been extended once more to July 10th - you are required to check any already completed surveys due to some bug fixes and possible changed values

And finally, organization admins might get an overview of the survey status.

HTH, Michael

P.S. you don't need to use GMail to read this list, I'm subscribed with my gmx mail address, too.

David Neary
2006-07-05 23:31:02 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

The appropriate place for this type of comment is on the summer administrators list - silently unsubscribing yourself means you're risking missing important info.

If that's an acceptable risk for you, then so be it. The choice is yours, and I can't force you to sign up.

Cheers, Dave.