RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

about lanczos

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

3495b4ac0605102151l62348ffo... 07 Oct 20:24
  about lanczos Roberto Winter 11 May 06:55
   about lanczos Alastair M. Robinson 11 May 13:06
3495b4ac0603272221x54b872a1... 07 Oct 20:24
Roberto Winter
2006-05-11 06:55:21 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

about lanczos

Hi,
I wrote the following a long time ago, I got a bounce from the list because the attachment was over 40Kb.

Re-read it and I am now sending it again. Attached a smaller file this time...

I guess the whole point is that Lanczos is not really the 'best' algorithm for reducing images (as suggested in the scalings dialogs whe selecting the algorithm). Now, isn't there a problem?...

--------------- Hello!

I am currently using gimp from cvs. I couldn't help to notice that the new Lanczos algorithm is available when resizing images. I also noticed that it is marked as "Best".

But my tests show something else, see the attached image I created an image with inkscape that was about 800px wide and then resized it to a third using two methods (Lanczos and Cubic). Then I resized that again so that I could see what was already clear: Lanczos is not better than Cubic!!!

Am I missing something?

Roberto

Alastair M. Robinson
2006-05-11 13:06:17 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

about lanczos

Hi,

Roberto Winter wrote:

I guess the whole point is that Lanczos is not really the 'best' algorithm for reducing images (as suggested in the scalings dialogs whe selecting the algorithm). Now, isn't there a problem?...

Yes, there is - and the problem isn't just that Lanczos is not the "best" algorithm for reducing images, *interpolation* of any kind is inapproprite when reducing images.

Interpolation allows us to estimate pixel values that "fall in the cracks" between sample points in the original image - which is a great help when enlarging; however, when reducing, the "correct" approach is to perform a weighted average of all source pixels that are "covered" by the destination pixel.

Cubic interpolation gives a tolerable approximation of the "correct" method; Lanczos Sinc, it would appear, doesn't.

Another point worth considering is that, while for band-limited photographic images Lanczos performs very well, for artifically sharp images it can result in almost JPEG-like ringing artifacts.

So while it produces the "best" results for many images - and is certainly the method that causes the least amount of blurring when rotating an image by a few degrees, it's not *always* the best choice.

All the best, --
Alastair M. Robinson