RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

PDF import

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

PDF import Dalai Felinto 20 Apr 16:52
  PDF import Nathan Summers 22 Apr 04:55
   PDF import Sven Neumann 22 Apr 14:23
    PDF import Carol Spears 22 Apr 20:20
     PDF import Dalai Felinto 24 Apr 14:41
      PDF import Sven Neumann 27 Apr 08:50
Dalai Felinto
2006-04-20 16:52:49 UTC (about 18 years ago)

PDF import

Hi,
I'm using the GIMP 2.2.11 in the Windows XP.

To import PDF I've downloaded the ghostscript interpretor at - http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/get850.htm and is working perfectly. (remember to make a copy of the executable file to the gimp\bin directory)

I have some questions and suggestions: 1) What is the difference between the "new PDF import plug-in based on libpoppler" and the gs?
2) Why the link above isn't in the "GIMP for Windows" page? 3) When I import a PDF with gs, the window "load PostScript" window doesn't have an option to change the units of the size (ex mm, inches, pixels, ...). I think this is easy to implementate and very useful.

Thanks for all, regards,

Dalai Felinto
Rio de Janeiro - Brasil

Nathan Summers
2006-04-22 04:55:34 UTC (about 18 years ago)

PDF import

On 4/20/06, Dalai Felinto wrote:

Hi,
I'm using the GIMP 2.2.11 in the Windows XP.

To import PDF I've downloaded the ghostscript interpretor at - http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/get850.htm and is working perfectly. (remember to make a copy of the executable file to the gimp\bin directory)

I have some questions and suggestions: 1) What is the difference between the "new PDF import plug-in based on libpoppler" and the gs?

The new plugin uses poppler, which is based on the same code that xpdf uses. The older plugin used gs's pdf reading support. Poppler is usual faster; which renders more accurately seems to be a matter of opinion. The new plugin definately has a better user interface.

2) Why the link above isn't in the "GIMP for Windows" page?

It probably should be. *makes silent guestures suggesting that the gimp web team take note*

Rockwalrus

Sven Neumann
2006-04-22 14:23:26 UTC (about 18 years ago)

PDF import

Hi,

"Nathan Summers" writes:

It probably should be. *makes silent guestures suggesting that the gimp web team take note*

What web team? In case you didn't realize, there is no active gimp web team for some years now and only a minimum of maintainance work is being done by occasional contributors.

Sven

Carol Spears
2006-04-22 20:20:23 UTC (about 18 years ago)

PDF import

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 02:23:26PM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

"Nathan Summers" writes:

What web team? In case you didn't realize, there is no active gimp web team for some years now and only a minimum of maintainance work is being done by occasional contributors.

we discussed this a lgm.

axel volunteered to help and raphael. karine said she would help with content.

the new web site has the software put together and working, it is in need of updated content and a different style.

axel and raphael were to be working on a registery replacement. i haven't heard from either of them about this since the meeting.

carol

Dalai Felinto
2006-04-24 14:41:33 UTC (about 18 years ago)

PDF import

And about the third point?

" 3) When I import a PDF with gs, the window "load PostScript" window doesn't have an option to change the units of the size (ex mm, inches, pixels, ...). I think this is easy to implements and very useful. "

Dalai

2006/4/22, Carol Spears :

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 02:23:26PM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

"Nathan Summers" writes:

we discussed this a lgm.

axel volunteered to help and raphael. karine said she would help with content.

the new web site has the software put together and working, it is in need of updated content and a different style.

axel and raphael were to be working on a registery replacement. i haven't heard from either of them about this since the meeting.

carol

Sven Neumann
2006-04-27 08:50:48 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

PDF import

Hi,

"Dalai Felinto" writes:

And about the third point? " 3) When I import a PDF with gs, the window "load PostScript" window doesn't have an option to change the units of the size (ex mm, inches, pixels, ...). I think this is easy to implements and very useful. "

Feel free to submit patches to improve the Postscript import plug-in. But please base your patches on the CVS version or the latest 2.3 release and please realize that the Postscript plug-in is no longer used for PDF import. There's a dedicated plug-in for that now.

Sven