RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

possible mail handling software to consider

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

possible mail handling software to consider Carol Spears 10 Mar 19:53
  possible mail handling software to consider Sven Neumann 10 Mar 21:08
   possible mail handling software to consider Carol Spears 10 Mar 21:45
    possible mail handling software to consider Scott 22 Mar 19:15
  possible mail handling software to consider Michael Schumacher 10 Mar 22:05
Carol Spears
2006-03-10 19:53:58 UTC (about 18 years ago)

hi,

i noticed that debian had a nifty software available today, fullquottel - Tool for recognizing mails/postings in tofu/top-posting style

"The program performs several tests to decide whether the mail is a tofu mail or not. Each test produces a score. The final sum of the individual test scores is compared to a threshold. If it is above it, the mail is classified as tofu mail ('Fullquottel' is returned). Further more, the score itself is returned as number and as a row where each score point produces one *. Each test can be customized via a config file or on the command line."

while i read that gtk insists (perhaps) on sticking to mozilla style crappy and confusing text selection, i was thinking it might be nice to start to manage the mail here the way the ettiquette instructions suggest on the gimp web site.

any thoughts about using this software to help manage the berkeley gimp mail lists?

carol

Sven Neumann
2006-03-10 21:08:57 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

any thoughts about using this software to help manage the berkeley gimp mail lists?

We don't need any nazi software that forces people on this list to behave in certain ways. You and anyone else subscribed here is free to ignore any posts that he/she dislikes.

Sven

Carol Spears
2006-03-10 21:45:08 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:08:57PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

We don't need any nazi software that forces people on this list to behave in certain ways. You and anyone else subscribed here is free to ignore any posts that he/she dislikes.

i dunno, i was trying to start a discussion and i thought that i asked nicely.

it is very difficult to watch everything being taken over and handled in a way that other applications think is better. sometimes it feels like an attack from groups of well-paid individuals from those different software apps, even -- although, lord knows, i have been wrong about this kind of thing before.

what i saw was something more like a teacher who looks at your first few efforts to fullfill an assignment and gives the student a chance to try it again.

returned mail is not as much like begging please please please, read the ettiquette!

there is a chance you understand the term nazi so much better than me though....

carol

Michael Schumacher
2006-03-10 22:05:36 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Carol Spears wrote:

i noticed that debian had a nifty software available today, fullquottel - Tool for recognizing mails/postings in tofu/top-posting style

I've seen such software, and also have posted through a server that ran it and rejected messages that didn't match the criteria. Was quite useful and probably prevented many useless mails and new postings that would have come from this system.

I think it is to late at this stage, at least with such broken list configurations that don't set Reply-To (yes, I know the pros and cons, this is just an attempt to bait).

IMO this approach is useful as a personal mail filter or at the submission level, but only blocking the list delivery is futile, because many people use 'Reply to all' anyway.

Michael, searching for a Thunderbird extension now

Scott
2006-03-22 19:15:28 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 12:45:08PM -0800, Carol Spears wrote:

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:08:57PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

i dunno, i was trying to start a discussion and i thought that i asked nicely.

I can imagine such software being put to useful purposes. Think about it; how many lists are you on where someone eventually grows weary of a blatant top-poster and sends a flame, which goes out to everyone else and, I suppose, gives each a smug little feeling - but what a waste of time.

What if the software were used to:

1. Reply to the poster with a link to a netiquette page; 2. Prepend to the post a brief note saying that the poster has been warned about the evils of top-posting; and 3. Just send the post on to the list.

Hardly nazi-ish; just doing automatically what we as good netizens now do for ourselves...

This is presuming that the software does fairly reliably catch top-postings.

Scott Swanson