RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Lanczos algorithm funnyness?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Lanczos algorithm funnyness? John Leach 18 Nov 20:03
  Lanczos algorithm funnyness? Dag Rune Sneeggen 19 Nov 03:14
   Lanczos algorithm funnyness? Alastair M. Robinson 19 Nov 03:18
    Lanczos algorithm funnyness? <pcg( Marc)@goof(A.).(Lehmann )com> 19 Nov 04:37
   Lanczos algorithm funnyness? Steve Stavropoulos 19 Nov 03:59
    Lanczos algorithm funnyness? Adam D. Moss 19 Nov 10:59
  Lanczos algorithm funnyness? Sven Neumann 19 Nov 12:50
   Lanczos algorithm funnyness? Roel Schroeven 19 Nov 17:32
    Lanczos algorithm funnyness? Øyvind Kolås 21 Nov 02:08
     Lanczos algorithm funnyness? Alastair M. Robinson 21 Nov 03:14
John Leach
2005-11-18 20:03:36 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi all,

I just downloaded the 2.3.5 snapshot and had a go with the Lanczos resizing algorithm. It seems to bring out some strange artifacts in one photo (actually, the first I randomly tried).

Looking at the original, I can see what it's accentuating but it looks bad. Other photos look great, much sharper compared with the cubic algorithm. This seems rather too sharp, in the wrong place.

Is this normal?

cubic, lanczos and original examples at: http://johnleach.co.uk/downloads/gimp/

John.

P.S: Compiled on ubuntu breezy, on i386.

Dag Rune Sneeggen
2005-11-19 03:14:29 UTC (over 18 years ago)

John Leach wrote:

Hi all,

I just downloaded the 2.3.5 snapshot and had a go with the Lanczos resizing algorithm. It seems to bring out some strange artifacts in one photo (actually, the first I randomly tried).

Looking at the original, I can see what it's accentuating but it looks bad. Other photos look great, much sharper compared with the cubic algorithm. This seems rather too sharp, in the wrong place.

Is this normal?

cubic, lanczos and original examples at: http://johnleach.co.uk/downloads/gimp/

It is odd. But it should be noted that an image like this... Brushed steel, with a very, *very* short field of depth is quite rare ;) Is it the camera's aperature/focus that happens to be just below the power button, or is it blurred the image?

But still, its clearly a faulty algorithm... Quite serious as well(?)

John.

P.S: Compiled on ubuntu breezy, on i386.

_______________________________________________ Gimp-developer mailing list
Gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer

Alastair M. Robinson
2005-11-19 03:18:03 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi,

Dag Rune Sneeggen wrote:

This might be a silly question, but why is GIMP using interpolation at all when reducing images?

Shouldn't it be doing weighted averaging of all the source pixels that contribute to a destination pixel?

All the best, --
Alastair M. Robinson

Steve Stavropoulos
2005-11-19 03:59:33 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On 11/19/05, Dag Rune Sneeggen wrote:

John Leach wrote:

Am I the only one who sees the lanczos produced image, as a near perfect resize of the original? On the other hand, cubic interpolation has clearly lost the details that you seem to not want but clearly are on the original.

<pcg( Marc)@goof(A.).(Lehmann )com>
2005-11-19 04:37:08 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 02:18:03AM +0000, "Alastair M. Robinson" wrote:

This might be a silly question, but why is GIMP using interpolation at all when reducing images?

Shouldn't it be doing weighted averaging of all the source pixels that contribute to a destination pixel?

Weighted averaging is a way of interpolation.

Regarding the original image, though: at least imagemagick produces a sharp image without any artifacts when using lanczos, so maybe there is a problem.

Adam D. Moss
2005-11-19 10:59:55 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Steve Stavropoulos wrote:

On 11/19/05, Dag Rune Sneeggen wrote:

John Leach wrote:

Am I the only one who sees the lanczos produced image, as a near perfect resize of the original?

Yes, actually looks like a very interesting resize result to me too. Guess it's pretty subjective.

--adam

Sven Neumann
2005-11-19 12:50:42 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi,

John Leach writes:

The Lanczos implementation in CVS is buggy and unless someone shows up who fixes it, it will most likely end up being removed before the 2.4 release.

Sven

Roel Schroeven
2005-11-19 17:32:45 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

John Leach writes:

The Lanczos implementation in CVS is buggy and unless someone shows up who fixes it, it will most likely end up being removed before the 2.4 release.

I might take a shot at fixing that, if I can find enough time to do it.

Is it bug 305928 you mean? On first sight that is more about the interaction between Lanczos and the perspective tool than about Lanczos itself.

Øyvind Kolås
2005-11-21 02:08:48 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On 11/19/05, Roel Schroeven wrote:

Sven Neumann wrote:

I might take a shot at fixing that, if I can find enough time to do it.

Is it bug 305928 you mean? On first sight that is more about the interaction between Lanczos and the perspective tool than about Lanczos itself.

The bug in the perspective tool is that the lanczos algorithm uses a different offset from bilinear/bicubic/adaptive supersampling. The discontinuity that can be observed in e.g. http://pippin.gimp.org/tmp/buggy.png is the threshold around the 1:1 resampling. The point where the code in the transform tool chooses between interpolation(lanczos) and decimation(adaptive supersampling).

The problem with using bilinear/bicubic/lanczos for decimation is (apart from being
wrong in the first place) is that you end up throwing away pixels. For bicubic a destination pixels uses information from a 4x4 source window in the original image.
This is wrong. If you for instance scale to 10% of the original image size. You need to include data from at least a 10x10px window.

/Øyvind K. --
«The future is already here. It's just not very evenly distributed» -- William Gibson http://pippin.gimp.org/ http://ffii.org/

Alastair M. Robinson
2005-11-21 03:14:03 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi,

Øyvind Kolås wrote:

The problem with using bilinear/bicubic/lanczos for decimation is (apart from being
wrong in the first place) is that you end up throwing away pixels. For bicubic a destination pixels uses information from a 4x4 source window in the original image.
This is wrong. If you for instance scale to 10% of the original image size. You need to include data from at least a 10x10px window.

Thank you.

So I repeat, why is the Lanczos Sinc filter (or bilinear or cubic for that matter) being used at all when reducing images?

All the best, --
Alastair M. Robinson