RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

ScriptFu upgrading

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

ScriptFu upgrading Helmut Jarausch 11 Oct 15:15
  ScriptFu upgrading michael chang 11 Oct 22:14
  ScriptFu upgrading Sven Neumann 12 Oct 02:08
  ScriptFu upgrading Carol Spears 12 Oct 03:23
Helmut Jarausch
2005-10-11 15:15:52 UTC (over 18 years ago)

ScriptFu upgrading

Hi,

I've noticed that some ScriptFu scripts run just fine under 2.2.x but produce error messages under 2.3.5 (CVS) Is there a summary of API changes, possibly with hints for upgrading?

Many thanks,

Helmut Jarausch Lontzen
Belgium

michael chang
2005-10-11 22:14:39 UTC (over 18 years ago)

ScriptFu upgrading

On 10/11/05, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

Hi,

I've noticed that some ScriptFu scripts run just fine under 2.2.x but produce error messages under 2.3.5 (CVS) Is there a summary of API changes, possibly with hints for upgrading?

A) I have not heard this, but if it's anywhere, it probably is in the changelog. This is a hunch (meaning, not verified), but I'd presume deprecated functions (stuff from the 1.x era) may have been removed, at the very least.

B) Some people use Tiny-Fu instead of Script-Fu in 2.3.5 or so - in this case, see the Tiny-Fu page for some recommendations. IIRC, Tiny-Fu hasn't, however, officially replaced Script-Fu.

An actual developer probably would have a better and/or more specific answer. --
~Mike
- Just my two cents
- No man is an island, and no man is unable.

Sven Neumann
2005-10-12 02:08:24 UTC (over 18 years ago)

ScriptFu upgrading

Hi,

Helmut Jarausch writes:

The API is supposed to be backward compatible. We will continue to deprecate API and replace it with other functions but the old functions will continue to work. Of course we might have accidentally introduced a temporary API breakage. You should let us know how your scripts break.

Please note that the development version by default warns about usage of deprecated API. These are not error messages though, just hints telling you that you should adapt your script to a new API.

Sven

Carol Spears
2005-10-12 03:23:31 UTC (over 18 years ago)

ScriptFu upgrading

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 03:15:52PM +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

i don't think that any of the .scm that comes with the gimp source are broken. i fixed problems with the scripts that come with gimp-perl (some of the problems). it should be easy stuff and stuff that makes sense, like extra parameters have been added to some of the blur plug-ins and transformation tools.

i don't know if it is the case of all lispish things, but if you are good with handline .scm, you should also be handy with finding what changed on your own. i say that because one of the reasons i do not author .scm files for gimp is because of how poorly it reports back its problems. gimp-perl and pygimp both were fairly verbose in explaining what was broken and the reason for the brokeness.

i would be interested to know which scripts are broken. if it is scripts that come with gimp, then they should be fixed.

how do you find where the mistakes are when you write them? looking at the ChangeLogs for both gimp and gimp-tiny-fu would be where i would start to look.

carol