RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Missing layer features

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Missing layer features Pedro Kiefer 25 Jun 02:41
  Missing layer features Michael J. Hammel 25 Jun 04:11
   Gimp - Innerbevel Effect ??? Thorsten Will 25 Jun 13:07
  Missing layer features Sven Neumann 25 Jun 11:53
   Missing layer features Daniel Egger 26 Jun 17:08
Pedro Kiefer
2005-06-25 02:41:25 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Missing layer features

Hi,
As a gimp user I've always missed two things, both related to layers. One is not having an option of locking a layer. The other is not being able to group layers, so that I can hide / show all the layers inside the group. Both of this appears as bugs in bugzilla. The first one dates back to 2001 [1], the other is from 2002 [2]. So I came to ask, is this, apart from the bugs reports, being worked on? If it's not, how can I contribute? I'm no expert in gdk / gtk programming, but I'm willing to learn whatever it takes to get these features in gimp. With that said, I would like to know where should I start? Could someone mentorship me?

Thanks for the attention, cheers,

Michael J. Hammel
2005-06-25 04:11:58 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Missing layer features

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 21:41 -0300, Pedro Kiefer wrote:

Hi,
As a gimp user I've always missed two things, both related to layers. One is not having an option of locking a layer. The other is not being able to group layers, so that I can hide / show all the layers inside the group. Both of this appears as bugs in bugzilla. The first one dates back to 2001 [1], the other is from 2002 [2]. So I came to ask, is this, apart from the bugs reports, being worked on?

It's not in the GIMP core, but I wrote a plugin for managing layers called GFXLayers, which is part of the Graphics Muse Tools collection of plugins. Select a set of layers from a list, click on the Hide Selected toggle and hit Apply. You can Group them in the sense that their group chain icon is set too. But mostly this plugin is to allow more advanced and interactive layer alignment than what the built in Align Visible Layers provides.

This isn't exactly what you're after - you probably want to be able to save the groupings and work with them at any time in the future. This plugin could probably be extended to do this by using a GIMP parasite or some other feature. I just haven't looked into that.

If you're interested, you can grab the source from the web site: http://www.ximba.org/gfxmuse/download.html

Sven Neumann
2005-06-25 11:53:58 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Missing layer features

Hi,

Pedro Kiefer writes:

As a gimp user I've always missed two things, both related to layers. One is not having an option of locking a layer. The other is not being able to group layers, so that I can hide / show all the layers inside the group. Both of this appears as bugs in bugzilla. The first one dates back to 2001 [1], the other is from 2002 [2]. So I came to ask, is this, apart from the bugs reports, being worked on? If it's not, how can I contribute? I'm no expert in gdk / gtk programming, but I'm willing to learn whatever it takes to get these features in gimp. With that said, I would like to know where should I start? Could someone mentorship me?

You could start by making a nice proposal, perhaps including a mockup of how the user interface for this should look like and how it should behave. We can then help you to implement this, perhaps starting with layer locking since that is probably going to be easier.

Sven

Thorsten Will
2005-06-25 13:07:16 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Gimp - Innerbevel Effect ???

Hi guys!
Does Gimp support graphic effect like "InnerBevel"??? If so, can someone explain me please in a few lines (psydo basic or whatever) how to code such an effect or where i can found the source of its routine or a link to a url explaining how to code such an effect? thanks!

Daniel Egger
2005-06-26 17:08:53 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Missing layer features

On 25.06.2005, at 11:53, Sven Neumann wrote:

You could start by making a nice proposal, perhaps including a mockup of how the user interface for this should look like and how it should behave.

I guess Pedro has seen the Photoshop interface which does pretty much that (and more).

Servus,
Daniel