RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

[Patch] Speed up blending code

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

[Patch] Speed up blending code Daniel Egger 27 Feb 16:03
  [Patch] Speed up blending code Robert L Krawitz 27 Feb 16:42
   [Patch] Speed up blending code Daniel Egger 27 Feb 17:08
    [Patch] Speed up blending code GSR - FR 27 Feb 19:09
   [Patch] Speed up blending code Sven Neumann 27 Feb 17:29
    [Patch] Speed up blending code Robert L Krawitz 27 Feb 20:01
     [Patch] Speed up blending code Daniel Egger 27 Feb 21:03
      [Patch] Speed up blending code Sven Neumann 27 Feb 21:09
  [Patch] Speed up blending code Sven Neumann 27 Feb 17:26
Daniel Egger
2005-02-27 16:03:14 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hija,

this is my suggested patch for getting the speeds improvements as mentioned in the other thread by having a thread-local PRNG initialized with a seed from the still existing blend tool local RNG.

It looks bigger than it is because I took the liberty to remove the nasty special casing on the existence of the RNG inside the innermost loop because we now have it outside already.

There seems to be more room for obvious optimisations in the loops. Also I would recommend splitting the two cases into two separate functions to make the code easier to read, and remove more conditionals.

PS: If this is okay, I'd do exactly the same for the gray blending stuff...

diff -u -r1.155 gimpdrawable-blend.c --- app/core/gimpdrawable-blend.c 26 Feb 2005 23:55:49 -0000 1.155
+++ app/core/gimpdrawable-blend.c 27 Feb 2005 14:55:36 -0000 @@ -1051,7 +1051,68 @@
gint endx = PR->x + PR->w;
gint endy = PR->y + PR->h;
gint x, y;
+
+ if (rbd->dither_rand)
+ {
+ GRand *localrand = g_rand_new_with_seed (g_rand_int (rbd->dither_rand));
+
+ for (y = PR->y; y < endy; y++) + {
+ for (x = PR->x; x < endx; x++) + {
+ GimpRGB color;
+ gdouble dither_prob;
+ gdouble ftmp;
+ gint itmp;
+
+ gradient_render_pixel (x, y, &color, rbd); +
+ ftmp = color.r * 255.0; + itmp = ftmp;
+ dither_prob = ftmp - itmp; +
+ if (g_rand_double (localrand) < dither_prob) + color.r += (1.0 / 255.0); +
+ ftmp = color.g * 255.0; + itmp = ftmp;
+ if (g_rand_double (localrand) < dither_prob) + color.g += (1.0 / 255.0); +
+ ftmp = color.b * 255.0; + itmp = ftmp;
+ dither_prob = ftmp - itmp;

+ if (g_rand_double (localrand) < dither_prob) + color.b += (1.0 / 255.0); +
+ ftmp = color.a * 255.0; + itmp = ftmp;
+ if (g_rand_double (localrand) < dither_prob) + color.a += (1.0 / 255.0); +
+ if (color.r > 1.0) color.r = 1.0; + if (color.g > 1.0) color.g = 1.0; + if (color.b > 1.0) color.b = 1.0; + if (color.a > 1.0) color.a = 1.0; +
+ *dest++ = color.r * 255.0; + *dest++ = color.g * 255.0; + *dest++ = color.b * 255.0; + *dest++ = color.a * 255.0; + }
+ }
+
+ g_rand_free (localrand);
+
+ return;
+ }
+
+ /* Fall-through for non-dithering case */ for (y = PR->y; y < endy; y++)
{
for (x = PR->x; x < endx; x++) @@ -1059,46 +1120,6 @@
GimpRGB color;

gradient_render_pixel (x, y, &color, rbd); -
- if (rbd->dither_rand)
- {
- gdouble dither_prob;
- gdouble ftmp;
- gint itmp;
-
- ftmp = color.r * 255.0; - itmp = ftmp;
- dither_prob = ftmp - itmp; -
- if (g_rand_double (rbd->dither_rand) < dither_prob) - color.r += (1.0 / 255.0); -
- ftmp = color.g * 255.0; - itmp = ftmp;
- if (g_rand_double (rbd->dither_rand) < dither_prob) - color.g += (1.0 / 255.0); -
- ftmp = color.b * 255.0; - itmp = ftmp;
- if (g_rand_double (rbd->dither_rand) < dither_prob) - color.b += (1.0 / 255.0); -
- ftmp = color.a * 255.0; - itmp = ftmp;
- if (g_rand_double (rbd->dither_rand) < dither_prob) - color.a += (1.0 / 255.0); -
- if (color.r > 1.0) color.r = 1.0; - if (color.g > 1.0) color.g = 1.0; - if (color.b > 1.0) color.b = 1.0; - if (color.a > 1.0) color.a = 1.0; - }

*dest++ = color.r * 255.0; *dest++ = color.g * 255.0;

Servus, Daniel

Robert L Krawitz
2005-02-27 16:42:52 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 16:03:14 +0100

this is my suggested patch for getting the speeds improvements as mentioned in the other thread by having a thread-local PRNG initialized with a seed from the still existing blend tool local RNG.

It looks bigger than it is because I took the liberty to remove the nasty special casing on the existence of the RNG inside the innermost loop because we now have it outside already.

There seems to be more room for obvious optimisations in the loops. Also I would recommend splitting the two cases into two separate functions to make the code easier to read, and remove more conditionals.

PS: If this is okay, I'd do exactly the same for the gray blending stuff...

In addition to being very slow, this will also yield noisy results. There are a lot of dither algorithms that are both much faster and yield better results. While you may not need full-blown Floyd-Steinberg or EvenTone dithering for this purpose (and they're hard to use in a multi-threaded fashion), a simple dither matrix is fast, free of most artifacts, trivial to parallelize (you're only reading from the matrix, so no serialization is necessary), and reasonably low noise.

In Gutenprint we have several precomputed matrices, designed for 1:1, 2:1, and 4:1 aspect ratios. You would need only a 1:1 ratio matrix. Also, our matrices are large (about 64K elements each, since they need 16 bit resolution), but you wouldn't need anything that big. There's a very simple iterated matrix that can generate any desired power of 2 matrix size (which makes for even faster lookup), but it does suffer from patterning. That may not matter for this purpose, since the steps are very small.

We use the same matrix for all color channels, but offset the starting address for each channel to decorrelate the channels.

Let me know if you're interested.

Daniel Egger
2005-02-27 17:08:40 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On 27.02.2005, at 16:42, Robert L Krawitz wrote:

In addition to being very slow, this will also yield noisy results. There are a lot of dither algorithms that are both much faster and yield better results. While you may not need full-blown Floyd-Steinberg or EvenTone dithering for this purpose (and they're hard to use in a multi-threaded fashion), a simple dither matrix is fast, free of most artifacts, trivial to parallelize (you're only reading from the matrix, so no serialization is necessary), and reasonably low noise.

This is just the first step to get better performance. In addition to the patch posted, I've already done and tested the separation of the dither and non-dither blending code, so it's a bit easier to simply change the algorithm from a randomized dither to a different one.

If we also do the change to remove the local PRNGs with a global one which can be used to get a smaller number of pseudo-random numbers or to setup and seed a thread-local PRNG, the only needed change for your proposal would be to touch two or three (one for the setup) functions.

Honestly I've no idea why the blending code does dithering at all; the dithering is completely invisible in 24bit RGB colorspace anyway.

But if you can speed that up; be my guest... ;)

Servus, Daniel

Sven Neumann
2005-02-27 17:26:15 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

Daniel Egger writes:

All done already. I also got a nice improvement by rewriting the dithering code.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2005-02-27 17:29:52 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

Robert L Krawitz writes:

We use the same matrix for all color channels, but offset the starting address for each channel to decorrelate the channels.

Yes, we are interested. I'd really like to get rid of the random number generator in the gradient blend code. It is simply way too slow and gradient blends are a rather frequent operation.

Please have a look at the current code in CVS (will take a day for anoncvs to catch up). It is a lot more readable and should allow for easy replacement of the RNG by a dither matrix.

Sven

GSR - FR
2005-02-27 19:09:48 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,
de@axiros.com (2005-02-27 at 1708.40 +0100):

Honestly I've no idea why the blending code does dithering at all; the dithering is completely invisible in 24bit RGB colorspace anyway.

Do some blends with similar colours and long distance. They look ugly without dither, they are too regular and the brain catches the banding pattern. The more similar the colours and the longer the distance are, the bigger the bands.

GSR

Robert L Krawitz
2005-02-27 20:01:17 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:29:52 +0100

Robert L Krawitz writes:

> We use the same matrix for all color channels, but offset the starting > address for each channel to decorrelate the channels. >
> Let me know if you're interested.

Yes, we are interested. I'd really like to get rid of the random number generator in the gradient blend code. It is simply way too slow and gradient blends are a rather frequent operation.

OK. The code Daniel posted shouldn't be too hard to convert. The only thing it needs is to have the absolute row and column, to index into the matrix.

Please have a look at the current code in CVS (will take a day for anoncvs to catch up). It is a lot more readable and should allow for easy replacement of the RNG by a dither matrix.

Will I be able to compile it against a current (stable) GIMP installation?

Daniel Egger
2005-02-27 21:03:49 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On 27.02.2005, at 20:01, Robert L Krawitz wrote:

OK. The code Daniel posted shouldn't be too hard to convert. The only thing it needs is to have the absolute row and column, to index into the matrix.

That hasn't made it into CVS because Sven was faster...

Here's the current code: static void
gradient_fill_single_region_rgb_dither (RenderBlendData *rbd, PixelRegion *PR) {
GRand *dither_rand = g_rand_new_with_seed (g_rand_int (rbd->seed)); guchar *dest = PR->data;
gint endx = PR->x + PR->w; gint endy = PR->y + PR->h; gint x, y;

for (y = PR->y; y < endy; y++) for (x = PR->x; x < endx; x++)
{
GimpRGB color;

gradient_render_pixel (x, y, &color, rbd);

gradient_dither (dest, dither_rand, color.r); gradient_dither (dest, dither_rand, color.g); gradient_dither (dest, dither_rand, color.b); gradient_dither (dest, dither_rand, color.a); }

g_rand_free (dither_rand); }

If needed you can setup your LUT globally or create it on demand and have a pointer in RenderBlendData, depending on how big and/or complex it is to compute and replace the inner loop by your code.

Would it make sense to have several (selectable) dither algorithms?

Will I be able to compile it against a current (stable) GIMP installation?

Huh?

Servus,
Daniel

Sven Neumann
2005-02-27 21:09:20 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

Daniel Egger writes:

for (y = PR->y; y < endy; y++)
for (x = PR->x; x < endx; x++)
{
GimpRGB color;

gradient_render_pixel (x, y, &color, rbd);

gradient_dither (dest, dither_rand, color.r); gradient_dither (dest, dither_rand, color.g); gradient_dither (dest, dither_rand, color.b); gradient_dither (dest, dither_rand, color.a); }

Should probably note that

gradient_dither (dest, rng, value)

expands to

{ gdouble ftmp = value * 255.0;
gint itmp = ftmp;

if (g_rand_double (rng) > ftmp - itmp) *dest++ = itmp;
else
*dest++ = MIN (itmp + 1, 255);
}

Sven