RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP fails to compile without C++ compiler?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP fails to compile without C++ compiler? Daniel Egger 26 Feb 23:23
  GIMP fails to compile without C++ compiler? Sven Neumann 27 Feb 01:19
   GIMP fails to compile without C++ compiler? Daniel Egger 27 Feb 01:56
    GIMP fails to compile without C++ compiler? Manish Singh 27 Feb 02:42
   GIMP fails to compile without C++ compiler? Tim Mooney 27 Feb 23:03
Daniel Egger
2005-02-26 23:23:51 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hija,

just curious, is it expected that configuration of a GIMP build will fail if configure cannot find a C++ compiler?

... checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for g++... no
checking for c++... no
checking for gpp... no
checking for aCC... no
checking for CC... no
checking for cxx... no
checking for cc++... no
checking for cl... no
checking for FCC... no
checking for KCC... no
checking for RCC... no
checking for xlC_r... no
checking for xlC... no
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... no checking whether g++ accepts -g... no checking dependency style of g++... none checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... /lib/cpp configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check See `config.log' for more details.

By supplying a C++ compiler via CXX env variable it happily passes that point:
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes checking whether g++-3.4 accepts -g... yes checking dependency style of g++-3.4... gcc3 checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++-3.4 -E checking for g77... no

config.log unfortunately doesn't tell anything sensible...

Servus, Daniel

Sven Neumann
2005-02-27 01:19:07 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

Daniel Egger writes:

just curious, is it expected that configuration of a GIMP build will fail if configure cannot find a C++ compiler?

That question would better be asked on the autoconf list. While you are on it, ask them why there are checks for a fortran compiler. I don't think we ask for any of those.

Sven

Daniel Egger
2005-02-27 01:56:16 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On 27.02.2005, at 01:19, Sven Neumann wrote:

That question would better be asked on the autoconf list. While you are on it, ask them why there are checks for a fortran compiler. I don't think we ask for any of those.

It's a difference whether useless checks take place and are ignored or the compiler bails out on something that isn't needed at all. FWIW I haven't seen any other project using autoconf as well fail on this machine because there wasn't a C++ compiler installed so I assume that the GIMP (or maybe the GNOME stuff?) is doing something different or even wrong.

Servus, Daniel

Manish Singh
2005-02-27 02:42:49 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 01:56:16AM +0100, Daniel Egger wrote:

On 27.02.2005, at 01:19, Sven Neumann wrote:

It's a difference whether useless checks take place and are ignored or the compiler bails out on something that isn't needed at all. FWIW I haven't seen any other project using autoconf as well fail on this machine because there wasn't a C++ compiler installed so I assume that the GIMP (or maybe the GNOME stuff?) is doing something different or even wrong.

You're making a bad assumption then. Any app which uses libtool 1.5 has this issue, as a trivial web search will reveal.

There's really nothing we can do, short of updating to a post 1.5 libtool when the libtool maintainers actually release one.

-Yosh

Tim Mooney
2005-02-27 23:03:44 UTC (about 19 years ago)

In regard to: Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP fails to compile without C++...:

Daniel Egger writes:

As Yosh has already replied, this is a problem in libtool. I thought a fix had been applied to the 1.5 branch, but I can't seem to find it so it must be in the 2.0 branch only.

Tim