RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

floating layers

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

floating layers Carol Spears 16 Feb 03:32
  floating layers David Neary 16 Feb 08:28
   floating layers Carol Spears 16 Feb 09:14
    floating layers Sven Neumann 16 Feb 11:24
   floating layers GSR - FR 16 Feb 17:51
    floating layers David Neary 16 Feb 21:08
  floating layers Sven Neumann 16 Feb 11:10
   floating layers Carol Spears 16 Feb 17:05
    floating layers Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 16 Feb 22:21
Carol Spears
2005-02-16 03:32:28 UTC (about 19 years ago)

floating layers

hello,

lately i am noticing a new thing about gimp behavior.

if i try to "New Layer" a floating layer that has been pasted onto a mask, gimp refuses with an error message.

for my limited understanding of the reason for floating layers to still exist, this behavior tells me that the need for them has gone. if gimp can tell the difference between a drawable or an image -- and it obviously does, there is no need for this floating step. also, since you cannot see the layer while it is floating, there is no positioning that can be done.

can floating layers go away now? the arguments for them have ceased to have meaning.

carol

David Neary
2005-02-16 08:28:38 UTC (about 19 years ago)

floating layers

Hi,

Carol Spears wrote:

if i try to "New Layer" a floating layer that has been pasted onto a mask, gimp refuses with an error message.

This is not new behaviour.

for my limited understanding of the reason for floating layers to still exist, this behavior tells me that the need for them has gone.

This is the only behaviour which justifies floating selections, actually.

if gimp
can tell the difference between a drawable or an image

Actually, it's the difference between a GimpLayer and a GimpLayerMask (which are both drawables).

can floating layers go away now? the arguments for them have ceased to have meaning.

What UI do you suggest?

1) If we are pasting a selection which was made from a layer then create a new layer
2) If we are pasting a selection which was made from a mask or a channel, create a floating selection, but don't display it in the layers dialog, and only allow anchor selection

Does that sound like what you would like to happen?

Cheers, Dave.

Carol Spears
2005-02-16 09:14:13 UTC (about 19 years ago)

floating layers

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 08:28:38AM +0100, David Neary wrote:

Carol Spears wrote:

fairly new. there is no way that i did not make that mistake ever with gimp-1.2.

for my limited understanding of the reason for floating layers to still exist, this behavior tells me that the need for them has gone.

This is the only behaviour which justifies floating selections, actually.

if gimp
can tell the difference between a drawable or an image

Actually, it's the difference between a GimpLayer and a GimpLayerMask (which are both drawables).

yes, and gimp can see the difference. the last time i asked, they explained the logic in that the difference couldnt be seen by gimp.

What UI do you suggest?

1) If we are pasting a selection which was made from a layer then create a new layer
2) If we are pasting a selection which was made from a mask or a channel, create a floating selection, but don't display it in the layers dialog, and only allow anchor selection

Does that sound like what you would like to happen?

nope, more like if you are pasting onto a layer then a new layer is created (Edit -->Paste). and if you are pasting onto a layer mask then it lands itself on the mask area. both cases, floating layers are not needed.

for those who will miss floating layers, you could add Edit -->Paste Float as a menu option.

carol

Sven Neumann
2005-02-16 11:10:55 UTC (about 19 years ago)

floating layers

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

Sure, it has always worked like that.

for my limited understanding of the reason for floating layers to still exist, this behavior tells me that the need for them has gone. if gimp can tell the difference between a drawable or an image -- and it obviously does, there is no need for this floating step. also, since you cannot see the layer while it is floating, there is no positioning that can be done.

There is no such thing as a floating layer, it's called a floating selection. Your argumentation is flawed. Of course if I paste something into a layer mask, I want to be able to position it. That's the whole point of a floating selection. This has, IMO, been discussed enough in Bugzilla. There is certainly room for improvement here and I am all for reducing floating selections as well as for making them easier to deal with. But we can certainly not get rid of them completely. That would be a major regression.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2005-02-16 11:24:55 UTC (about 19 years ago)

floating layers

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

fairly new. there is no way that i did not make that mistake ever with gimp-1.2.

This is from the gimp-1-2 source code (app/floating_sel.c):

/* Check if the floating layer belongs to a channel... */ if (GIMP_IS_CHANNEL (layer->fs.drawable)) {
g_message (_("Cannot create a new layer from the floating\n" "selection because it belongs to a\n" "layer mask or channel."));
return;
}

Sven

Carol Spears
2005-02-16 17:05:38 UTC (about 19 years ago)

floating layers

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 11:10:55AM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

Sure, it has always worked like that.

There is no such thing as a floating layer, it's called a floating selection. Your argumentation is flawed. Of course if I paste something into a layer mask, I want to be able to position it. That's the whole point of a floating selection. This has, IMO, been discussed enough in Bugzilla. There is certainly room for improvement here and I am all for reducing floating selections as well as for making them easier to deal with. But we can certainly not get rid of them completely. That would be a major regression.

what is the bug report.

carol

GSR - FR
2005-02-16 17:51:57 UTC (about 19 years ago)

floating layers

Hi,
dneary@free.fr (2005-02-16 at 0828.38 +0100):

What UI do you suggest?

How do I paste (adjusting if necesary) layer-A data into layer-B's mask then?

GSR

David Neary
2005-02-16 21:08:13 UTC (about 19 years ago)

floating layers

Hi,

GSR - FR wrote:

dneary@free.fr (2005-02-16 at 0828.38 +0100):

What UI do you suggest?

How do I paste (adjusting if necesary) layer-A data into layer-B's mask then?

Refinement - if we're pasting into a mask or channel. Pasting from a channel to a layer could Just Work. It might be decided it shouldn't which is, of course, valid, but it could.

Cheers, Dave.

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-02-16 22:21:18 UTC (about 19 years ago)

floating layers

On Wednesday 16 February 2005 14:05, Carol Spears wrote:

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 11:10:55AM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

what is the bug report.

bug 113477

carol