RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

how to use status bar?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

how to use status bar? William Skaggs 15 Feb 20:15
how to use status bar? shaneyfelt@juno.com 15 Feb 22:19
William Skaggs
2005-02-15 20:15:08 UTC (about 19 years ago)

how to use status bar?

Hi,

I've been trying to come up with a way to get the clone tool to show a message in the status area saying "Ctrl-click to set source" whenever the source needs to be set. It isn't easy, because gimp_paint_tool_oper_update() is not written to handle the status area in a cooperative way. Here is an approach that I think will work, and I would like to get an opinion on whether it is the right thing to do, or whether there is a better way.

Suggested approach:

1) Add a "status_msg" field to GimpPaintTool, which will normally be NULL.

2) In gimp_paint_tool_oper_update, use status_msg if it is non-null, otherwise use the existing code to create a status message.

3) Add an oper_update callback to the clone tool, which sets or unsets status_msg as appropriate before chaining up.

Best, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu

shaneyfelt@juno.com
2005-02-15 22:19:33 UTC (about 19 years ago)

how to use status bar?

I've been trying to come up with a way to get the clone tool to show a message in the status area saying "Ctrl-click to set source" whenever the source needs to be set.

Maybe when the cursor needs to be set, instead of displaying the "(/)" [NO] cursor, clicking could do something useful like setting the source. I propose adding a checkbox called "Select source" to the clone tool dialog under Image Source. The box should be auto-checked when the source needs to be set, and auto-unckecked each time the source is set. If it needs to be set, it should probably be grayed and checked until the source is set. The crosshair stamp cursor would be good as when ctrl is being held down in place of the "(/)" [NO] cursor.

This would help: 1. New users to learn quicker (experimenting more likely to do something interesting)
2. Advanced users to work quicker (1 less action required when starting) 3. Disabled users (don't need to hold the key while clicking)

_-T