RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

plugin defaults - where to put them?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

plugin defaults - where to put them? Pepster 13 Feb 19:54
  plugin defaults - where to put them? Sven Neumann 13 Feb 21:18
   plugin defaults - where to put them? Pepster 13 Feb 21:28
   plugin defaults - where to put them? Carol Spears 13 Feb 23:14
    plugin defaults - where to put them? Sven Neumann 13 Feb 23:59
plugin defaults - where to put them? William Skaggs 13 Feb 20:35
  plugin defaults - where to put them? Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 14 Feb 01:52
Pepster
2005-02-13 19:54:00 UTC (about 19 years ago)

My plugin have various user selectable configuration settings.

Right now, I use ~/.gimp-2.2/gimprc to store the defaults.

I am not sure if it is correct to fill up gimprc in this way, and no setting is saved between sessions.

So, Is there a better/recommended way for plugins to store such data in the gimp? Is there a recommended practice for saving loading such settings?

Thanks, Joseph

William Skaggs
2005-02-13 20:35:05 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Pepster wrote:

I am not sure if it is correct to fill up gimprc in this way, and no setting is saved between sessions.

So, Is there a better/recommended way for plugins to store such data in the gimp? Is there a recommended practice for saving loading such settings?

We are developing a mechanism for plug-ins to save settings and configuration information for GIMP 2.4, but there isn't one in 2.2. Using gimprc will certainly not work. Right now if you need to do this, the only approach is for the plug-in to create and read its own files, and there is nothing that would prevent this.

Best, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Sven Neumann
2005-02-13 21:18:18 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

Pepster writes:

GIMP 2.4 will provide a framework that allows plug-ins to store their settings. For now you will have to either implement it yourself, use gimp_gimprc_set() or a global persistent parasite.

Sven

Pepster
2005-02-13 21:28:30 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Thanks for takng care of this issue in 2.4.

BTW, how far is it to 2.4? (approx)

-Joseph

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Pepster writes:

GIMP 2.4 will provide a framework that allows plug-ins to store their settings. For now you will have to either implement it yourself, use gimp_gimprc_set() or a global persistent parasite.

Sven

Carol Spears
2005-02-13 23:14:02 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 09:18:18PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Pepster writes:

what does the pluginrc do?

the last time i looked at it, it seemed that gap was making some extensive use of this file.

carol

Sven Neumann
2005-02-13 23:59:16 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

what does the pluginrc do?

GIMP caches the procedures registered by the plug-ins there. By doing that it doesn't need to query the plug-ins on each startup.

the last time i looked at it, it seemed that gap was making some extensive use of this file.

gap registers quite a few plug-ins and procedure calls so it's not surprising that it shows up there.

Sven

Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2005-02-14 01:52:50 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 11:35:05AM -0800, William Skaggs wrote:

We are developing a mechanism for plug-ins to save settings and configuration information for GIMP 2.4, but there isn't one in 2.2. Using gimprc will

Actually, gimp-perl does that (or at least did that) since the 1.x days, by either using gimp_set_data (obsolete) or global persistent parasites, which has the desired effect.

Gimp::Fu uses that mechanism, so all perl plug-ins using Gimp::Fu als their UI have persistency for their settings. That has worked without problems so far.

(Actually both global and per-image defaults, so when opening the same plug-in on an image it will use the values used before, if possible, or the global last-recently-used ones).