RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

color management

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

color management Sven Neumann 06 Feb 23:51
20050207020124.29E8813064@l... 07 Oct 20:23
  color management Jordi Cantón 07 Feb 20:20
   color management Carol Spears 07 Feb 21:49
   color management Sven Neumann 07 Feb 23:05
    color management J.Canton 08 Feb 14:02
     color management Sven Neumann 08 Feb 22:01
20050209200021.B208B1291E@l... 07 Oct 20:23
  color management Jordi Cantón 09 Feb 21:30
   color management Hal V. Engel 09 Feb 22:12
Sven Neumann
2005-02-06 23:51:54 UTC (about 19 years ago)

color management

Hi,

just wanted to let everyone interested know that I started to add code for color management to GIMP CVS. For now, all we have is a configuration object that is supposed to be visible by the core, modules and plug-ins. This is based on a patch that Stefan Döhla mailed me last year. The next steps I plan to do are:

- add a color management page to the preferences dialog

- establish a framework for passing the color management settings to modules and plug-ins

- give color display modules access to image parasites, or at least to the "icc-profile" parasite

- replacement of the proof display filter by a slightly more complex color display module that deals with monitor profile and printer profile based on the user's color management settings

- move the display color management module out of the display filter configuration dialog and add it automatically to all image displays

- use the cms module from all color areas and color selectors

- add a plug-in to apply color profiles

- deal with embedded color profiles on image load

So if you want to participate in this development or just check that the right things are being done here, you should consider to follow CVS. I also do not insist on doing all coding myself. There are a couple of tasks that could very well be "outsourced". Let me know if you want to help.

Sven

Jordi Cantón
2005-02-07 20:20:22 UTC (about 19 years ago)

color management

Hello,

Great news!! I have been working in the gimp-color-manager plugin which is strongly related (in fact it can be modified to meet your 7th point) I already have corrected the bugs found in the previous release and made some changes in order to clarify the workflow.

Actually the plugin can do

-Convert from input profile to work space profile -Convert from work space profile to output profile -Embed and use enbedded work space profiles (using "icc-profile" parasite)

I also want to add the conversion from work space A to work space B before releasing this version. (you can check the actual code at ftp://www.virtual-sub.org/gimp-color-manager-pre-0.0.10.tgz )

It would be great if the plugin can get the color configuration (directory to look for profiles, scanner ,workspace and printer default profiles..) from the preferences set in the new dialog.

Is there a guide to setup a cvs compilation in a local user without interfering the global configuration and the other users in the system? I am very interested on getting that color management stuff working, but I cannot change/reinstall the linux box I am using, so I must work locally.

gimp-developer-request@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu wrote:

Hi,
[...]

- add a plug-in to apply color profiles [...]

Carol Spears
2005-02-07 21:49:23 UTC (about 19 years ago)

color management

hi,
On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 08:20:22PM +0100, Jordi Cant?n wrote:

Is there a guide to setup a cvs compilation in a local user without interfering the global configuration and the other users in the system? I am very interested on getting that color management stuff working, but I cannot change/reinstall the linux box I am using, so I must work locally.

there is a how-to at www.gimp.org that will help with this: http://www.gimp.org/source/howtos/stable-cvs-build.html and a script you can edit that will help even more: http://www.gimp.org/source/howtos/gimpenv

i think it is a simple matter of changing the prefix in the configuration, typing ./autogen.sh --help gives much more information than i can. then edit the script to help you set up your environment to reflect the new PATHS.

probably consistency is your friend here.

carol

Sven Neumann
2005-02-07 23:05:23 UTC (about 19 years ago)

color management

Hi,

Jordi Cantón writes:

Great news!! I have been working in the gimp-color-manager plugin which is strongly related (in fact it can be modified to meet your 7th point)

Yes, I was hoping that we could use that plug-in for this purpose.

It would be great if the plugin can get the color configuration (directory to look for profiles, scanner ,workspace and printer default profiles..) from the preferences set in the new dialog.

That will become possible. It's not at the top of the list but I am working towards it.

gimp.org has installation instructions. You can choose a dedicated prefix at compile time.

Sven

J.Canton
2005-02-08 14:02:39 UTC (about 19 years ago)

color management

gimp.org has installation instructions. You can choose a dedicated prefix at compile time.

I should also compile a local version fo glib2.6/GTK 2.6 in order to be able to compile the Gimp cvs HEAD, isn't it?

Jordi

Sven Neumann
2005-02-08 22:01:44 UTC (about 19 years ago)

color management

Hi,

"J.Canton" writes:

I should also compile a local version fo glib2.6/GTK 2.6 in order to be able to compile the Gimp cvs HEAD, isn't it?

You will need glib/gtk+ 2.6 but there is actually no reason to keep those local since 2.6 is fully backward compatible to earlier glib/gtk+ 2.x releases.

Sven

Jordi Cantón
2005-02-09 21:30:12 UTC (about 19 years ago)

color management

I just released version 0.1.0 of the gimp-color-manager plugin.

Important changes since last version:

-Re-design of the user interface in order to clarify the workflow (Thanks to Hal suggestions)
-I correct several bugs found in the code -Now it should also work on a windows box. I made a revision of all the file paths making them platform independent -A transformation from embedded profile to default work space profile can also be made
-All the other changes Hal commented in his review of pre-0.0.10

It can be downloaded from ftp://www.virtual-sub.org/gimp-color-manager-0.1.0.tar.gz . I tried to upload the update also in registry.gimp.org but it is really sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. Do anyone knows why?

The updated code will be also available at http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=5146 as soon as I can upload it.

Hal V. Engel
2005-02-09 22:12:24 UTC (about 19 years ago)

color management

I just installed and tested this latest version. At this point it is good enough to be of use for those that need/want color management. The changes that were made between version 0.0.9 and this version were mostly to the user interface (big improvement) and some bug fixes. I have also asked Jordi to add a black point compensation option and a few other functionality things and perhaps we will see these in the next version. Along with the proofing filters already in GIMP all that is missing to implement a basic manual CM work flow is the ability to specify and use a display profile.

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 12:30, Jordi Cantón wrote:

I just released version 0.1.0 of the gimp-color-manager plugin.

Important changes since last version:

-Re-design of the user interface in order to clarify the workflow (Thanks to Hal suggestions)
-I correct several bugs found in the code -Now it should also work on a windows box. I made a revision of all

the

file paths making them platform independent -A transformation from embedded profile to default work space profile can also be made
-All the other changes Hal commented in his review of pre-0.0.10

It can be downloaded from ftp://www.virtual-sub.org/gimp-color-manager-0.1.0.tar.gz . I tried

to

upload the update also in registry.gimp.org but it is really sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. Do anyone knows why?

The updated code will be also available at http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=5146 as soon as I can upload it.