RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Jury member sought for a Paris free software competition

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Jury member sought for a Paris free software competition David Neary 31 Jan 12:03
  Jury member sought for a Paris free software competition Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 31 Jan 15:41
   Jury member sought for a Paris free software competition David Neary 31 Jan 18:49
David Neary
2005-01-31 12:03:59 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi all,

I was contacted over the weekend by the organiser of a Paris based free software contest, who wanted to know whether I knew anyone in the GIMP project who was prepared to be a jury member for the competition. The competition was also help last year, and this year will have a multimedia section.

The competition is the 26th and 27th of May, near Paris, France. The organisers have a budget, and can eventually pay for air fare from the US. Since GUADEC is the week afterwards in Stuttgart, this might be a good way to get over to that and have your travel expenses paid - fly into Paris, hitch a lift with a Parisian GNOMEr going to Stuttgart, and then fly back from Paris the week after on the 2nd or 3rd of June.

They're hoping to organise the jury pretty quickly, so if this interests you, please get back to me pretty quickly.

They're not necessarily limited to Americans - if any of our distinguished Germans were prepared to come to Paris on an expenses paid trip, let me know.

Cheers, Dave.

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-01-31 15:41:29 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Monday 31 January 2005 09:03, David Neary wrote:

Hi all,

I was contacted over the weekend by the organiser of a Paris based free software contest, who wanted to know whether I knew anyone in the GIMP project who was prepared to be a jury member for the competition.

What exactly is the contest about? Coding flor a new project? Fixing bugs on existing projects? Or just using some free software at all?

Regards, JS
->

David Neary
2005-01-31 18:49:14 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

On Monday 31 January 2005 09:03, David Neary wrote:

I was contacted over the weekend by the organiser of a Paris based free software contest, who wanted to know whether I knew anyone in the GIMP project who was prepared to be a jury member for the competition.

What exactly is the contest about? Coding flor a new project? Fixing bugs on existing projects? Or just using some free software at all?

It's a contest for rwarding individual efforts in free software.

Here's a site in French describing the competition: http://www.toolinux.com/news/communaute/trophees_du_libre_2e_edition_ar5784.html

The website is in French, but the contest is intended to be international - so far, confirmed jurors include one of the main PHP and one of the main MySQL programmers.

This page: http://www.sil-cetril.org/trophees/ has a description of the contest: "Two types of projects can be presented: Emerging projects which need a maturing phase, but also more established projects."

The goal is simply to encourage free software development, as far as I can tell.

Cheers,
Dave.