RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Roadmap

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Roadmap William Skaggs 09 Jan 18:39
  Roadmap Sven Neumann 09 Jan 19:49
  Roadmap Shlomi Fish 09 Jan 21:23
  Roadmap Daniel Egger 10 Jan 14:07
Roadmap William Skaggs 09 Jan 22:19
Roadmap William Skaggs 10 Jan 17:42
William Skaggs
2005-01-09 18:39:03 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Roadmap

Sven wrote:

Actually, no code should be committed to CVS at the moment until we have made up a roadmap that outlines what we want to achieve with GIMP 2.4.

Here is my personal roadmap of things I would like to be able to put into 2.4, assuming all goes well:

1) New rectangle select tool that allows adjustment of rectangle after creation. (Implemented in my personal tree with the exception of keybindings. Implemented as a separate tool, so it can be tested and improved without losing the standard rect-select.)

2) Dialog allowing items (layers, etc) to be aligned with each other in various ways. (Implemented as plug-in, ~60% implemented as core dialog.)

3) Variable blur plugin. (Currently in Registry.)

4) Various enhancement to gimpressionist. (Implemented in my tree for quite some time.)

5) Get Gfig to use its own generated brushes for stroking, and to do libart stroking. (Not implmented, but not hard.)

6) Allow data items such as brushes, patterns, etc to be organized into categories. (Not implemented.)

I see #6 as far and away the most important, and I would like it to be the main focus of my effort, assuming we can come up with a good plan. We have discussed this on #gimp and made progress, I think, though not to the extent of pinning down the details.

Best, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Sven Neumann
2005-01-09 19:49:39 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Roadmap

Hi,

"William Skaggs" writes:

Here is my personal roadmap of things I would like to be able to put into 2.4, assuming all goes well:

1) New rectangle select tool that allows adjustment of rectangle after creation. (Implemented in my personal tree with the exception of keybindings. Implemented as a separate tool, so it can be tested and improved without losing the standard rect-select.)

This is hopefully based on GimpVectors and allows to evolve into a general shapes tool. Please tell us about your approach (preferably before starting to hack on things in your own tree).

5) Get Gfig to use its own generated brushes for stroking, and to do libart stroking. (Not implmented, but not hard.)

Hmm, I'd rather see GFig die, the sooner the better.

6) Allow data items such as brushes, patterns, etc to be organized into categories. (Not implemented.)

I see #6 as far and away the most important, and I would like it to be the main focus of my effort, assuming we can come up with a good plan. We have discussed this on #gimp and made progress, I think, though not to the extent of pinning down the details.

I think we have already gone into the details here on gimp-developer.

Sven

Shlomi Fish
2005-01-09 21:23:24 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Roadmap

On Sunday 09 January 2005 19:39, William Skaggs wrote:

4) Various enhancement to gimpressionist. (Implemented in my tree for quite some time.)

Hmmm... gimpressioninst...

Well, as you may well know, I've done a lot of cleanup and bug-squashing in gimpressionist, so I have some investment in it. I should note that the cleaned-up code I have now, is almost entirely incompatible with the code I started with. (i.e that of GIMP circa 2.0.x).

I should note[1] that Bill sent me a version of gimpressionist which he worked on starting from mid-1.3.x with the following changes:

1. Several features that were already present elsewhere removed.

2. Some features added, like the ability to use a bitmap to specify an intensity.

3. A rework of the gimpressionist internals to use tiles instead of entire bitmaps.

Now due to #3, what we have in CVS now (which is a cleaned-up version of before that) is incompatible with what he sent me. So either we clean-up/add some minor features (a better PDB entry, for example, which I added) to his version or we similarly engineer the CVS code.

So I'm asking bill what he has in mind, and if I can help. (assuming I will be interested to do so in the future, instead of just letting bill selflessly do all the hard work for me.)

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

[1] - Hopefully with bill's acceptance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Shlomi Fish shlomif@iglu.org.il Homepage: http://www.shlomifish.org/

Knuth is not God! It took him two days to build the Roman Empire.

William Skaggs
2005-01-09 22:19:43 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Roadmap

Shlomi Fish wrote:

Now due to #3, what we have in CVS now (which is a cleaned-up version of before that) is incompatible with what he sent me. So either we clean-up/add some minor features (a better PDB entry, for example, which I added) to his version or we similarly engineer the CVS code.

So I'm asking bill what he has in mind, and if I can help. (assuming I will be interested to do so in the future, instead of just letting bill selflessly do all the hard work for me.)

Ah! I've been merging the improvements from your "refactored" gimpressionist into my version, and have most of them incorporated by this time, including your code for calling the plug-in non-interactively by specifying a preset. I would not suggest moving to a new version if it meant that all of your work had gone to waste.

In case it wasn't clear, my "Roadmap" was simply a list of the things I would be interested in looking at for GIMP 2.4, and not a specific plan to do anything in particular.

Best, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Daniel Egger
2005-01-10 14:07:06 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Roadmap

On 09.01.2005, at 18:39, William Skaggs wrote:

With keyboard support for pixel-exact adjustments this work seriously rock.

2) Dialog allowing items (layers, etc) to be aligned with each other in various ways. (Implemented as plug-in, ~60% implemented as core dialog.)

What I've seen just recently and deem as a good idea would be a possibility to make dialogs translucent (better yet, only if not currently focused) to reduce the screen estate necessary to manipulate an image. Anyone having an idea of the feasibility and complexity of an implementation?

Servus,
Daniel

William Skaggs
2005-01-10 17:42:56 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Roadmap

Daniel Egger wrote:

What I've seen just recently and deem as a good idea would be a possibility to make dialogs translucent (better yet, only if not currently focused) to reduce the screen estate necessary to manipulate an image. Anyone having an idea of the feasibility and complexity of an implementation?

That would indeed rock, but I think it needs to be supported at the Gtk+ level before GIMP could do anything with it. (For Linux, it depends on new functionality in the X.org system, which isn't 100% stable yet and, as I understand it, isn't activated by default in most of the current distros.) Maybe in a year or so . . .

Best, -- Bill