RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Problem compiling GIMP from CVS

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Problem compiling GIMP from CVS Steven P. Ulrick 16 Dec 14:35
  Problem compiling GIMP from CVS Cai Qian 16 Dec 15:10
   Problem compiling GIMP from CVS Steven P. Ulrick 16 Dec 16:46
    Problem compiling GIMP from CVS Cai Qian 16 Dec 17:02
  Problem compiling GIMP from CVS Raphaël Quinet 16 Dec 15:32
Steven P. Ulrick
2004-12-16 14:35:14 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hello, Everyone
When I attempt to compile and install GIMP from CVS, I get the following error:
gcc -g -O2 -Wall -o .libs/svg svg.o -Wl,--export-dynamic -Wl,--export-dynamic ../../libgimp/.libs/libgimpui-2.0.so /home/steve/CVS/Assorted-CVS-Modules/gimp/libgimp/.libs/libgimp-2.0.so /home/steve/CVS/Assorted-CVS-Modules/gimp/libgimpwidgets/.libs/libgimpwidgets-2.0.so /home/steve/CVS/Assorted-CVS-Modules/gimp/libgimpmodule/.libs/libgimpmodule-2.0.so ../../libgimpwidgets/.libs/libgimpwidgets-2.0.so ../../libgimp/.libs/libgimp-2.0.so /home/steve/CVS/Assorted-CVS-Modules/gimp/libgimpcolor/.libs/libgimpcolor-2.0.so /home/steve/CVS/Assorted-CVS-Modules/gimp/libgimpbase/.libs/libgimpbase-2.0.so ../../libgimpcolor/.libs/libgimpcolor-2.0.so ../../libgimpbase/.libs/libgimpbase-2.0.so -lrsvg-2 /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so -lm /usr/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so /usr/lib/libpangox-1.0.so /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so -ldl /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so
/usr/local/lib/libgthread-2.0.so.0: undefined reference to `g_return_if_fail_warning'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [svg] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/steve/CVS/Assorted-CVS-Modules/gimp/plug-ins/common' make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/steve/CVS/Assorted-CVS-Modules/gimp/plug-ins' make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/steve/CVS/Assorted-CVS-Modules/gimp' make: *** [all] Error 2
[steve@x1-6-00-c0-f0-55-7c-ff gimp]$

I did a fresh download of GIMP from CVS before I brought this to your attention.

First of all, I got the exact versions of atk, glib, gtk+ and pango that are listed at the following location:
http://gimp.org/source/#requirements They are as follows:
atk 1.61 glib 2.45 gtk+ 2.4.4 pango 1.4.0 All of that installed perfectly.

Also, our gcc is gcc-3.4.2-6.fc3

Our operating system is Fedora Core 3, Full installation (not just upgraded), Every package installed.
All official updates are installed.

I searched Google for this error and the only hits I got were in a language that I don't speak. The content under "The topic is GIMP" heading at: http://gimp.org/mail_lists.html led me to believe by it's reference to bugs being appropriate subject matter for the gimp-devel list, that a report about a failure to compile would be appropriate as well. If this is incorrect, please let me know, and I will be glad to take this where it should be reported.

Have a Great Day,
Steven P. Ulrick

Cai Qian
2004-12-16 15:10:06 UTC (over 19 years ago)

I think your libraries are messed up. GIMP found them in /usr/lib and ld complain of undefined reference in /usr/local/lib. Usually compile GIMP without manually installed any libraries will work if you fully installed FC3, although I don't use it. So `make uninstall` in these libraries located in /usr/local much like will work.

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 07:35 -0600, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:

Hello, Everyone
gcc -g -O2 -Wall -o .libs/svg svg.o -Wl,--export-dynamic -Wl,--export-dynamic ../../libgimp/.libs/libgimpui-2.0.so /home/steve/CVS/Assorted-CVS-Modules/gimp/libgimp/.libs/libgimp-2.0.so /home/steve/CVS/Assorted-CVS-Modules/gimp/libgimpwidgets/.libs/libgimpwidgets-2.0.so /home/steve/CVS/Assorted-CVS-Modules/gimp/libgimpmodule/.libs/libgimpmodule-2.0.so ../../libgimpwidgets/.libs/libgimpwidgets-2.0.so ../../libgimp/.libs/libgimp-2.0.so /home/steve/CVS/Assorted-CVS-Modules/gimp/libgimpcolor/.libs/libgimpcolor-2.0.so /home/steve/CVS/Assorted-CVS-Modules/gimp/libgimpbase/.libs/libgimpbase-2.0.so ../../libgimpcolor/.libs/libgimpcolor-2.0.so ../../libgimpbase/.libs/libgimpbase-2.0.so -lrsvg-2 /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so -lm /usr/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so /usr/lib/libpangox-1.0.so /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so -ldl /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so
/usr/local/lib/libgthread-2.0.so.0: undefined reference to `g_return_if_fail_warning'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [svg] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/steve/CVS/Assorted-CVS-Modules/gimp/plug-ins/common' make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/steve/CVS/Assorted-CVS-Modules/gimp/plug-ins' make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/steve/CVS/Assorted-CVS-Modules/gimp' make: *** [all] Error 2
[steve@x1-6-00-c0-f0-55-7c-ff gimp]$

I did a fresh download of GIMP from CVS before I brought this to your attention.

First of all, I got the exact versions of atk, glib, gtk+ and pango that are listed at the following location:
http://gimp.org/source/#requirements They are as follows:
atk 1.61 glib 2.45 gtk+ 2.4.4 pango 1.4.0 All of that installed perfectly.

Also, our gcc is gcc-3.4.2-6.fc3

Our operating system is Fedora Core 3, Full installation (not just upgraded), Every package installed.
All official updates are installed.

I searched Google for this error and the only hits I got were in a language that I don't speak. The content under "The topic is GIMP" heading at: http://gimp.org/mail_lists.html led me to believe by it's reference to bugs being appropriate subject matter for the gimp-devel list, that a report about a failure to compile would be appropriate as well. If this is incorrect, please let me know, and I will be glad to take this where it should be reported.

Have a Great Day,
Steven P. Ulrick
_______________________________________________ Gimp-developer mailing list
Gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer

Raphaël Quinet
2004-12-16 15:32:41 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 07:35:14 -0600, "Steven P. Ulrick" wrote:

Hello, Everyone

[...]

It looks like you have a conflict between the gcc link line, which refers to gtk and associated libraries from /usr/lib, and what is actually used by the linker: libgthread-2.0.so.0 from /usr/local/lib instead of /usr/lib.

This could happen if you have (re)installed some libraries in /usr/local/lib but forgot to re-run the GIMP's configure script or autogen.sh if you use the CVS version.

Or maybe you have installed the libraries correctly, but the autogen.sh script picked the wrong version because it picked the configuration from older pkgconfig *.pc files referring to the libraries in /usr/lib. In that case, you should set then environment variable ACLOCAL_FLAGS before running configure, as explained in the HACKING file (found in CVS or here: http://developer.gimp.org/HACKING)

If you can solve the conflict between the files installed in /usr/lib and the ones installed in /usr/local/lib, then this linking problem should disappear.

-Raphaël

Steven P. Ulrick
2004-12-16 16:46:04 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Thursday 16 December 2004 8:10 am, you wrote:

I think your libraries are messed up. GIMP found them in /usr/lib and ld complain of undefined reference in /usr/local/lib. Usually compile GIMP without manually installed any libraries will work if you fully installed FC3, although I don't use it. So `make uninstall` in these libraries located in /usr/local much like will work.

Hello
Yeah, probably so. When I investigated into /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig to find out what versions of what libraries I needed to uninstall, I found that the glib referred to in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig is version 2.5.8. This is strange, since in ftp://ftp.gtk.org//pub/gtk/v2.5, glib only goes up to 2.5.7. Stranger still, since an issue I had a few months ago has made me unwilling to try anything other than the most recent stable versions of atk, glib, gtk+ and pango. I wonder if some third party RPM would put libraries in /usr/local/lib.
Since the version of GLIB referred to in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig, the only (extremely ugly) way I could think of to try to narrow this down was to move the entire contents of /usr/local/lib to another location and attempt to compile a fresh copy of GIMP from CVS. One trap I used to fall into, which always "used " to work before, is I would run ./autogen.sh with no arguments, and then I would run configure again, with --prefix=/usr as my path. Like I said, this has worked fine for quite a while. But now, the commands I use look like this:
CC=gcc ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
CC=gcc make

Also, here is the complete contents of my /usr/local/lib directory: /usr/local/lib:
total 1692
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 7 18:24 glib-2.0 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 811 Dec 7 18:24 libglib-2.0.la lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Dec 7 18:24 libglib-2.0.so -> libglib-2.0.so.0.505.3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Dec 7 18:24 libglib-2.0.so.0 -> libglib-2.0.so.0.505.3
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1072298 Dec 7 18:24 libglib-2.0.so.0.505.3 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 864 Dec 7 18:24 libgmodule-2.0.la lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Dec 7 18:24 libgmodule-2.0.so -> libgmodule-2.0.so.0.505.3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Dec 7 18:24 libgmodule-2.0.so.0 -> libgmodule-2.0.so.0.505.3
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 25186 Dec 7 18:24 libgmodule-2.0.so.0.505.3 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 859 Dec 7 18:24 libgobject-2.0.la lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Dec 7 18:24 libgobject-2.0.so -> libgobject-2.0.so.0.505.3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Dec 7 18:24 libgobject-2.0.so.0 -> libgobject-2.0.so.0.505.3
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 562932 Dec 7 18:24 libgobject-2.0.so.0.505.3 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 869 Dec 7 18:24 libgthread-2.0.la lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Dec 7 18:24 libgthread-2.0.so -> libgthread-2.0.so.0.505.3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Dec 7 18:24 libgthread-2.0.so.0 -> libgthread-2.0.so.0.505.3
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 28433 Dec 7 18:24 libgthread-2.0.so.0.505.3

/usr/local/lib/glib-2.0: total 4
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 7 18:24 include

/usr/local/lib/glib-2.0/include: total 8
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5134 Dec 7 18:24 glibconfig.h

/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig: total 20
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 335 Dec 7 18:24 glib-2.0.pc -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 278 Dec 7 18:24 gmodule-2.0.pc -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 257 Dec 7 18:24 gmodule-no-export-2.0.pc -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 245 Dec 7 18:24 gobject-2.0.pc -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 240 Dec 7 18:24 gthread-2.0.pc

Well, "make" just finished with the following result: Success! I just wish I knew what put a version of glib in /usr/local/lib that does not even appear on the GTK ftp server....

At least I was just able to start up gimp-2.2 :) Thank you very much, Cai, for your help.

Steven P. Ulrick

Cai Qian
2004-12-16 17:02:45 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 09:46 -0600, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:

At least I was just able to start up gimp-2.2 :)

Nice to hear that :)