RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

A beginning GIMP Developer?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

A beginning GIMP Developer? Henry Roeland 12 Dec 22:52
  A beginning GIMP Developer? Sven Neumann 12 Dec 23:19
  A beginning GIMP Developer? Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 13 Dec 00:31
  A beginning GIMP Developer? Michael Schumacher 14 Dec 21:10
Henry Roeland
2004-12-12 22:52:31 UTC (over 19 years ago)

He all GIMP developers out there,

I'm new to this list and therefore lets introduce myself first. As a Software developer I'm working for about 2 years now with Java/C/C++ and other languages like XML/XSLT. My expirence with C/C++ is about medium and I know a little about Linux/UNIX programming but have more expirence with Win32 platforms.My expirence with GTK+ and GIMP code is zero.

At this time I'm working(Using) now about 2 weeks with The GIMP for graphical stuff (as a hoby) and I'm very excited about all that GIMP offers! Because I'm a developer I like to help fixing bugs or add some new features. A already debuged some of the code but because of my lack of expirence with GTK+ and all I like to begin easy :-).

In short: Can I help with bug fixing? If so should I start with bug fixing (which bugs) and how and to who can I deliver the patches?

Greetings,

Henry Roeland

Sven Neumann
2004-12-12 23:19:05 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Henry Roeland" writes:

I'm new to this list and therefore lets introduce myself first. As a Software developer I'm working for about 2 years now with Java/C/C++ and other languages like XML/XSLT. My expirence with C/C++ is about medium and I know a little about Linux/UNIX programming but have more expirence with Win32 platforms.My expirence with GTK+ and GIMP code is zero.

At this time I'm working(Using) now about 2 weeks with The GIMP for graphical stuff (as a hoby) and I'm very excited about all that GIMP offers! Because I'm a developer I like to help fixing bugs or add some new features. A already debuged some of the code but because of my lack of expirence with GTK+ and all I like to begin easy :-).

In short: Can I help with bug fixing? If so should I start with bug fixing (which bugs) and how and to who can I deliver the patches?

Most of this is answered in the Developer FAQ (http://developer.gimp.org/faq.html) but I will happily answer your questions anyway.

A good way to get start is to make yourself familiar with Bugzilla. You can use the predefined queries at http://developer.gimp.org/bugs.html as a start. Some bugs have the easy-fix keyword set. Those might be a good start. But we have only just started to use that keyword, so if a bug doesn't have it set, doesn't necessarily mean that it is very complex.

We will be releasing 2.2.0 real soon now and will enter a new development cycle as soon as this has happened (or perhaps wait until 2.2.1 is done). That's a good time to start working on new features. Just let us know what you are working on and, most importantly, don't be afraid to ask.

Sven

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-12-13 00:31:10 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi and welcome!

There are people in better position to answer you on this!

But I am just quite happy to see a mail like this - I myself just go around proposing weird features, and eventually finding and fixing a minor bug. Lots of fun, either way.

So...bugzilla is the way to deliver bug corrections. You should better be using GIMP from CVS, read the 'Hacking' file in there for building tips - if you aren't already. Them, just check the bugs in bugzilla, erradicate them, taking care to maintain the coding style (it is GNU style, I've read somewhere). After it works, make a patch by running diff with "-u3" option, and attach that patch to the bug report.

Now, keep online to hear from Sven, Bolsh, Alan, Carol and others...

Oh, also, underliying GTK and the GIMP object system is Glib and Gobject - you should learn about these. There is a small app called "devhelp" which allows for interactive browsing of the API.

Regards, js
->

On Sunday 12 December 2004 19:52, Henry Roeland wrote:

Greetings,

Henry Roeland

Michael Schumacher
2004-12-14 21:10:35 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Henry Roeland wrote:

Since you seem to be coming from a Win32 background, it would be nice if you could have a look at the Win32-specific plug-ins:

If you're experienced in working with the printer api, twain of the windows clipboard... the winprint, winsnap and winclipboard plug-ins need some love :)

Michael