RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

writing plug-ins

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

writing plug-ins Simbul 03 Dec 00:45
  writing plug-ins Sven Neumann 05 Dec 04:08
1102063075.41b025e3a0df4@im... 07 Oct 20:23
  writing plug-ins Simbul 03 Dec 12:22
   writing plug-ins Dave Neary 03 Dec 13:21
Simbul
2004-12-03 00:45:22 UTC (over 19 years ago)

writing plug-ins

Hi all,
I'm a student and as a university project I have to write a document about writing plug-ins in gimp (and create a plug-in as well). I already managed to discover some pieces of information scattered through the net, but it seems to me it's not enough to write a complete document.
I've read Kevin Turner's document and found it quite interesting. I've also downloaded gimp-plugin-template-1.3.3 and that was very helpful too (though a little outdated).
In any case, I didn't found a document explaining all I'd like to know (that's why I'm trying to write one, maybe ;)) and I was hoping you could point me to something I may have missed.

BTW, I noticed the template uses gimp_image_menu_new() which is now deprecated. What should I use instead? A ComboBox maybe? (I'll have to wait until 2.2 if that's the case, right?)

Oh, I almost forgot: the document I'm writing is in italian. I'd be glad to share it if you think it may be useful to the GIMP community (AND if my professor agrees) but I don't think I'll have the time for an english translation. ;)

Bye,
Alessandro Morandi

Simbul
2004-12-03 12:22:58 UTC (over 19 years ago)

writing plug-ins

Dave Neary wrote:

If you can read French, I can send you my LinuxMag France articles. Just let me know.

Unluckily I can't read french. Could you point me to some of the sources you used for your articles?

I'll ask my professor for the open licence, I hope he'll agree ;)

Thanks, bye

Alessandro Morandi

Dave Neary
2004-12-03 13:21:11 UTC (over 19 years ago)

writing plug-ins

Hi,

Quoting Simbul :

Unluckily I can't read french. Could you point me to some of the sources you used for your articles?

I'll ask my professor for the open licence, I hope he'll agree ;)

It looks like you have them already - I relied heavily on Kevin Turner's article. I did a paper and presentation for GUADEC last year on the subject which is online here: http://dneary.free.fr/guadec-paper/

http://developer.gimp.org contains the full API docs for libgimp.

Finally, I learned a lot from the existing plug-ins. If you were to pick one of each main type (file plug-in, image plug-in and informational plug-in), I would reccommend pnm, edge and colorcube respectively.

Cheers, Dave.

--
Dave Neary
Lyon, France

Sven Neumann
2004-12-05 04:08:34 UTC (over 19 years ago)

writing plug-ins

Hi,

Simbul writes:

BTW, I noticed the template uses gimp_image_menu_new() which is now deprecated. What should I use instead? A ComboBox maybe? (I'll have to wait until 2.2 if that's the case, right?)

We will try to release an updated gimp-plugin-template for 2.2. If you are developing for 2.2, you want to use gimp_image_combo_box_new() instead.

Sven