RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Help needed with implementation of up and down arrows on the tools dialog.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Help needed with implementation of up and down arrows on the tools dialog. Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 24 Nov 05:10
  Help needed with implementation of up and down arrows on the tools dialog. Michael Natterer 24 Nov 14:47
Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-11-24 05:10:25 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

So, I felt familiar when Will wrote:

In principle it shouldn't be
so hard if you understand how to use tree view widgets (which I do, although I don't like them particularly).  And in principle the GIMP hierarchical organization should be very helpful, because it means that most of the work can be done in a few places.  But in reality it means that only Mitch has any hope of doing it, because it involves making changes in (if I remember correctly) GimpDataFactory, GimpContainerTreeView, and/or GimpContainerEditor, all of whose roles and interactions are undefined, and all of which are inherited by many different things, with no explicit rules for the ways they are used.  The result is that any change is a shot in the dark, which will probably break things all over the place.

Because those classes were the ones I became entangled in over the last weekend, when I tried to do something as simple as put an up and down arrow on the Tools dialog. (Bug #158666)

I can get to put the buttons, and to pass the ContainerEditor to the click callback. As I've written on the bug report, I could not find out, given the editor, what is selected, and it's index. Sven showed me a function call - gimp_container_get_child_index - to get to the index once I get what is selected, them a call to gimp_container_reorder could do the job of going up or down one place. (I will also need to get the container list's lenght to know when the selected item is at the bottom).

As far as I was able to see, one have to go through the embeded GtkTree descendant embeded in the GimpContainerEditor in order to retireve what is selected.

Will does understand that widget. I do not. When I googled for it, I got a 100 page pdf just explaining the GtkTreeView.

I tried to get to the selected object by doing: static void
_gimp_tool_view_editor_move (GtkWidget *widget, GimpContainerEditor *editor, gint direction) {

GimpContainerTreeView *tree_view = editor->view; GimpContainer *container = gimp_container_view_get_container (tree_view); GtkTreeSelection *selection = gtk_tree_view_get_selection (tree_view);
GList *rows = gtk_tree_selection_get_selected_rows ( selection, NULL ); GimpObject *selected = g_list_nth_data (rows, 0);

---- I can be on the right track, orway off it - but I need to know if this is teh way to go.
And...if this is the way to go, might I suggest a method for retrieving the selection straight from a GimpContainerEditor, without having to mess with the GimpContainerTreeView?

Thank you everybody.

JS ->

Michael Natterer
2004-11-24 14:47:47 UTC (over 19 years ago)

This can be done way easier that what you describe below.

Just create actions "tools-raise", "tools-raise-to-top", "tools-lower", "tools-lower-to-button" in app/actions/tools-actions.[ch] and app/actions/tools-commands.[ch].

Then simply add some buttons to the dialog using

gimp_editor_add_action_button()

at the place where the "Reset" button gets added.

Fiddling with the tree view is unneccessary and even wrong.

ciao, --mitch

"Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris" writes:

Hi,

So, I felt familiar when Will wrote:

In principle it shouldn't be
so hard if you understand how to use tree view widgets (which I do, although I don't like them particularly).  And in principle the GIMP hierarchical organization should be very helpful, because it means that most of the work can be done in a few places.  But in reality it means that only Mitch has any hope of doing it, because it involves making changes in (if I remember correctly) GimpDataFactory, GimpContainerTreeView, and/or GimpContainerEditor, all of whose roles and interactions are undefined, and all of which are inherited by many different things, with no explicit rules for the ways they are used.  The result is that any change is a shot in the dark, which will probably break things all over the place.

Because those classes were the ones I became entangled in over the last weekend, when I tried to do something as simple as put an up and down arrow on the Tools dialog. (Bug #158666)

I can get to put the buttons, and to pass the ContainerEditor to the click callback. As I've written on the bug report, I could not find out, given the editor, what is selected, and it's index. Sven showed me a function call - gimp_container_get_child_index - to get to the index once I get what is selected, them a call to gimp_container_reorder could do the job of going up or down one place. (I will also need to get the container list's lenght to know when the selected item is at the bottom).

As far as I was able to see, one have to go through the embeded GtkTree descendant embeded in the GimpContainerEditor in order to retireve what is selected.

Will does understand that widget. I do not. When I googled for it, I got a 100 page pdf just explaining the GtkTreeView.

I tried to get to the selected object by doing: static void
_gimp_tool_view_editor_move (GtkWidget *widget, GimpContainerEditor *editor, gint direction) {

GimpContainerTreeView *tree_view = editor->view; GimpContainer *container = gimp_container_view_get_container (tree_view); GtkTreeSelection *selection = gtk_tree_view_get_selection (tree_view);
GList *rows = gtk_tree_selection_get_selected_rows ( selection, NULL ); GimpObject *selected = g_list_nth_data (rows, 0);

---- I can be on the right track, orway off it - but I need to know if this is teh way to go.
And...if this is the way to go, might I suggest a method for retrieving the selection straight from a GimpContainerEditor, without having to mess with the GimpContainerTreeView?

Thank you everybody.

JS ->