RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp Perl/Server

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gimp Perl/Server stu seven 21 Nov 00:31
  gimp Perl/Server Seth Burgess 22 Nov 04:18
stu seven
2004-11-21 00:31:40 UTC (over 19 years ago)

gimp Perl/Server

I have some gimp-perl scripts_ all these work with the Perl Server... either from the interface, or command line... ...but currently, I get an error after one script is completed.

For instance, with the command line version; I see the server start, and the message: "accepting new connections", after this, one script can be processed successfully... but then, the server connection stops... to run another gimp-perl script, I need to start another invocation of the server... that doesnt seem right.

...how can I keep the server running... avoid restarting the perl server for each script ?

Seth Burgess
2004-11-22 04:18:22 UTC (over 19 years ago)

gimp Perl/Server

Hi Stu,

The behavior you are seeing is what happens if no Perl Server is running. The perl server is invoked automatically if you call a script on the commandline; it makes its own instance of gimp, and passes commandline parameters to get the perl server running. At the completion of the script, it all exits gimp and the perl server.

If you run the Perl Server from the Xtns->Perl->Server menu from a running gimp, it should instead connect to the already running perl server and use your already open version of gimp. This should-do closer to what you want.

If you want to start an instance of gimp and leave a perl server running, you'll need to use the batch parameter to gimp to start it:

gimp-2.2 --no-interface -b '(extension-perl-server 0 2 0)'

It should result in something like:

1101093297: server version 2 started 1101093297: acception connections on /tmp/gimp-perl-serv-uid-1000/gimp-perl-serv

After this, any attempts to run a script from a commandline should first talk on the already-running server interface.

Happy GIMPing,

Seth (currently you'll have difficulties compiling gimp-perl CVS HEAD for 2.2; but a compilation for 2.0 should still work ok, even with 2.2. Will look into fixing this, and updating deprecated scripts, as time permits)

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:31:40 +0000, stu seven wrote:

I have some gimp-perl scripts_ all these work with the Perl Server... either from the interface, or command line... ...but currently, I get an error after one script is completed.

For instance, with the command line version; I see the server start, and the message: "accepting new connections", after this, one script can be processed successfully... but then, the server connection stops... to run another gimp-perl script, I need to start another invocation of the server... that doesnt seem right.

...how can I keep the server running... avoid restarting the perl server for each script ?