RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

cleaning up ftp.gimp.org

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

cleaning up ftp.gimp.org Sven Neumann 31 Oct 13:22
  200410311727.05992.gwidion@... Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 31 Oct 20:27
Sven Neumann
2004-10-31 13:22:18 UTC (over 19 years ago)

cleaning up ftp.gimp.org

Hi,

I will want to upload gimp-2.2.0-pre1 later today and did a quick check at ftp.gimp.org to see if there's sufficient space left. It appears that the remaining 39MB might be just enough for the release, but I don't think it's a good idea to not have any space left after the first pre-release.

A simple way to make some free space is to delete old cruft. And indeed there's quite some old cruft on ftp.gimp.org. On the other hand I don't really like the idea of deleting data that could one day be of interest for historical reasons. So my suggestion is to do the following: Write a script that checks if the same tarball exists as .tar.gz and .tar.bz2 and delete the .tar.gz (or the other one, I don't know). That should give us several hundreds of megabytes space w/o actually removing any content. For now it should be sufficient to run that script on the following directories:

pub/gimp/v0.99 pub/gimp/v1.1
pub/gimp/v1.3

I would also suggest to reorganize the content in these directories. At the moment we have pub/gimp/v0.99/v0.99.31 and pub/gimp/v0.99/old/ which contains all the other versions. Since all these are old now, I suggest to move the directories from old one level up and get rid of the old directory. The same change should be done to v1.1. That would also bring it in sync with v1.3.

The main reason I am writing this mail is to give you a chance to object and to give you a chance to volunteer to write that script.

Sven