RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp development

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp development Campbell Barton 12 Oct 01:17
  Gimp development Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 12 Oct 17:20
   Gimp development Sven Neumann 12 Oct 17:58
  Gimp development Kevin Cozens 12 Oct 20:20
   Gimp development David Neary 12 Oct 22:54
    Gimp development Campbell Barton 13 Oct 01:41
  Gimp development David Neary 12 Oct 21:04
Campbell Barton
2004-10-12 01:17:24 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Gimp development

Hi, My names is Cam- I have been involved in Blender3D Plugin writing and development for a while now and have a little experience in C. I use the gimp every day for imaging and texturing for 3D models.

Blender.org is realy good with its community, and web forum- I didnt find anything like this for the Gimp- (Not saying it isnt there), Now Im on this list Id like to be involved with writing Plugins and a little C where I can.

Some things Id like to know tho are-

Is there any 'good place to start' with C programming in the Gimp. - Docs tutorials etc. (I have mainly used OpenGL in C/Python)

Is the Gimp serious about Python as a plugin language, from using Blender3D/Python, Gimp/Python would be easy- but I tried and couldent get a Scheme script running in python- (Could have been a silly mistake but I tried for ages)

Is there a way of refreshing python scripts without restarting??.

Im thinking I should probably just go wuith scheme since its the default... but Id liek some feedback on this one.

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-10-12 17:20:23 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Gimp development

Hi there,

I will leave some of your questions unanswered, as there are people here who know more than I do, and I could popssibly say the wrong thing.

On Monday 11 October 2004 20:17, Campbell Barton wrote:

Hi, My names is Cam- I have been involved in Blender3D Plugin writing and development for a while now and have a little experience in C. I use the gimp every day for imaging and texturing for 3D models.

Nice to know that!

Blender.org is realy good with its community, and web forum- I didnt find anything like this for the Gimp- (Not saying it isnt there), Now Im on this list Id like to be involved with writing Plugins and a little C where I can.

We meet mostly at the IRC - GIMPNet, #gimp. Two big resource sites are www.gimp.org itself - Carol and some others can point you to more specific places in there -, and http://gug.sunsite.dk/

Is there any 'good place to start' with C programming in the Gimp. - Docs tutorials etc. (I have mainly used OpenGL in C/Python)

developers.gimp.org , but Sven and others can point you to more specific places.

Is the Gimp serious about Python as a plugin language, from using Blender3D/Python, Gimp/Python would be easy- but I tried and couldent get a Scheme script running in python- (Could have been a silly mistake but I tried for ages)

Well ... it should be "serious" - but there had been a lack of maintainement of the gimp Python plug-in. It is tehre, and work can be done in it, however.

Just change the script in disk and re-run it. Unlike script-fu plug-ins, Python-fu scripts register as normal plug-ins to the GIMP,and are re-read from the disk each time they are executed.

Im thinking I should probably just go wuith scheme since its the default... but Id liek some feedback on this one.

I personally would feel gratefull if you would go with Python. Some of the developers, perhaps most of them, seem to prefer Scheme - But GIMP Python is functional, and I plan to help turning it along the next months. Actually, if you are searching a place to start hacking in the GIMP, the GIMP Python plugin could be a good place. :-)

The GIMP is in the proccess of feature-freeze for a release before the end of the year. (v. 2.2). Possibly GIMP-Python will get a stand-alone module on the Gnome-CVS so it can be improved in independent cycles.

A ggod place to know what needs to be done in the codebase is bugzilla.gnome.org - search for pending bugs for gimp 2.2 release.

Regards,

JS ->

Sven Neumann
2004-10-12 17:58:25 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Gimp development

Hi,

developers.gimp.org , but Sven and others can point you to more specific places.

That would be http://developer.gimp.org/. Unless there's a more specific question, I won't be able to point to a more specific place.

Sven

Kevin Cozens
2004-10-12 20:20:40 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Gimp development

Campbell Barton wrote:

I tried and couldent get a Scheme script running in python- (Could have been a silly mistake but I tried for ages)

If you were trying to get a Scheme script running in Python, that was a mistake. A Scheme script is run using either the Script-Fu or Tiny-Fu plug-in. Scheme scripts have nothing to do with Python unless you write a Scheme interpreter in Python. :-)

David Neary
2004-10-12 21:04:46 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Gimp development

Hi Cam,

Campbell Barton wrote:

The community forums are many and varied. There is the gimp-user mailing list, the gimp-developer mailing list, the gimp-win-users yahoo forum (I think that's its name), the GIMP Users Group (GUG) and many others (usenet, IRC, etc). The GIMP developers generally keep their eyes on the users and developers mailing lists.

For writing plug-ins, there are a few places to look. First, developer.gimp.org, which contains, among other things, an API reference for the GIMP. Second,
http://gimp-plug-ins.sourceforge.net contains a great number of resources for GIMP plug-in programming, including Kevin Turner's excellent (although slightly outdated) manual, "Writing a GIMP Plug-in".

I presented a paper at GUADEC last year called "Writing a GIMP Plug-in", which effectively summarised and updated parts of that paper. The paper itself and the slides I used are here: http://dneary.free.fr/guadec-paper/ - there is also the source code of a trivial plug-in.

There is a CVS module gimp-plugin-template which contains everything you will need to develop a third party plug-in, including basic gettext, automake and autoconf configuration files.

And of course, UTSL (Use The Source, Luke). There are many GIMP plug-ins in the GIMP source tree, and most of the simple ones are in plug-ins/common. I reccommend consulting plug-ins that approximate what you want to do.

For script-fu, Simon Budig has written some papers on scheme and script-fu, there are also links on his pages to other people's tutorials (I seem to recall Zach Beane doing one a few years back which is almost still valid). Simon's GIMP page is here: http://www.home.unix-ag.org/simon/gimp/

yosh has (or had, at least) plans to make python a first class scripting language to all of the GIMP's interfaces. This requires quite a bit of work in libgimpwidgets, among other places, and is not going to happen today or tomorrow. There are also bounties available (from Mark Shuttleworth) for work on the python scripting interface to the GIMP. I am not aware of anyone expressing interest in them recently.

There is no way of detecting a new script, scripts are read at start-up. However, if you modify a script during the lifetime of a gimp session, then re-running it re-loads it (as long as you don't change the plug_in_register call).

Cheers, Dave.

David Neary
2004-10-12 22:54:40 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Gimp development

Hi Kevin,

Kevin Cozens wrote:

Campbell Barton wrote:

I tried and couldent get a Scheme script running in python- (Could have been a silly mistake but I tried for ages)

If you were trying to get a Scheme script running in Python, that was a mistake. A Scheme script is run using either the Script-Fu or Tiny-Fu plug-in. Scheme scripts have nothing to do with Python unless you write a Scheme interpreter in Python. :-)

I believe that he meant he tried to re-write a script-fu as a python-fu.

Cheers,
Dave.

Campbell Barton
2004-10-13 01:41:10 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Gimp development

David Neary wrote:

Hi Kevin,

Kevin Cozens wrote:

Campbell Barton wrote:

I believe that he meant he tried to re-write a script-fu as a python-fu.

Cheers,
Dave.

Thanks Dave, all of you for the feedback :). Of course, Im a python Coder, I wouldent try to run script-fu in python, I just ment I tried to port it to python.