RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

pyrex and GIMP

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

pyrex and GIMP Kevin Turner 05 Oct 08:47
  pyrex and GIMP Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 05 Oct 14:57
Kevin Turner
2004-10-05 08:47:58 UTC (over 19 years ago)

pyrex and GIMP

I've been working on using Pyrex for a GIMP plug-in. It works now. If that sounds interesting to you, there's a link to the code at

http://gimp-plug-ins.sourceforge.net/refract/

The parts implemented in Pyrex are a PixelFetcher, functions for calculating displacement and interpolation, and the main processing loop iterating over a row buffer. The speed is comparable to the C version (within 5% on my 256x256 test image). I haven't tried a pure Python or a Python+psyco implementation yet.

I'm not sure yet how to distribute the pyrex definitions for libgimp. Since I only have one program using it so far, I'm distributing it all in one tarball and linking "pyxgimp.pxd" into the source directory.

There are some sloppy bits where I convert between pygimp classes (the libgimp Python bindings included with GIMP) and my pyrex ones. Eventually, I should pick a set of bindings and stick with them, but there's much of pygimp's functionality I haven't duplicated yet. The things in libgimp I wrapped with pyrex are Drawable, Tile, and PixelRegion -- the structures I needed to access in my pixel processing loop.

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-10-05 14:57:49 UTC (over 19 years ago)

pyrex and GIMP

Hi there,

I myself do not know Pyrex. Your plug-in seens pretty sofisticated.

We are here discussing however, exactly the python bindings for The GIMP. They need a major overhawl and probably will get a separate module on gnome-cvs tree.

I will try your plug-in later. Certainly a handfull of usefull, sofisticated and maintained plug-ins would be a great adition to the Gimp python module itself.

If you want o help the GIMP to take care of Gimp-python you are more than welcome.

JS
->

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 03:47, Kevin Turner wrote:

I've been working on using Pyrex for a GIMP plug-in. It works now. If that sounds interesting to you, there's a link to the code at

http://gimp-plug-ins.sourceforge.net/refract/

The parts implemented in Pyrex are a PixelFetcher, functions for calculating displacement and interpolation, and the main processing loop iterating over a row buffer. The speed is comparable to the C version (within 5% on my 256x256 test image). I haven't tried a pure Python or a Python+psyco implementation yet.

I'm not sure yet how to distribute the pyrex definitions for libgimp. Since I only have one program using it so far, I'm distributing it all in one tarball and linking "pyxgimp.pxd" into the source directory.

There are some sloppy bits where I convert between pygimp classes (the libgimp Python bindings included with GIMP) and my pyrex ones. Eventually, I should pick a set of bindings and stick with them, but there's much of pygimp's functionality I haven't duplicated yet. The things in libgimp I wrapped with pyrex are Drawable, Tile, and PixelRegion -- the structures I needed to access in my pixel processing loop.