RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Wishes

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Wishes William Skaggs 16 Sep 20:16
  Wishes Sven Neumann 16 Sep 21:03
   Wishes Nathan Summers 16 Sep 22:21
Wishes William Skaggs 16 Sep 21:44
William Skaggs
2004-09-16 20:16:19 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Wishes

Hi,

GIMP has its share of annoying features, and its share of great features, but there are two features that I find especially annoying, and wish I could make go away.

1) The fact that selection tools move things if you click inside the selection. Even knowing this perfectly well, I am still bound to move things accidentally at least half a dozen times in any long GIMPing session. Even when I get it right, I still have to think about it each time I make a selection. In fact, it actually makes things harder for me more often than it makes things easier. If, for example, I make a rectangle selection too large, I have to first click somewhere to remove the selection, instead of just redoing it. I wish I could just let selection tools select, and move things either with the move tool or by holding down the Alt key.

2) The fact that Tool Options persist across sessions, which means that any unusual option I use for some momentary reason is bound to come back to haunt me in a later session. I wish at least I could set a preference so that all tool options would be reset to their defaults at the beginning of each session.

I would be happy to file these in Bugzilla, but thought it might be better to raise the topic here first.

Best, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Sven Neumann
2004-09-16 21:03:12 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Wishes

Hi,

"William Skaggs" writes:

GIMP has its share of annoying features, and its share of great features, but there are two features that I find especially annoying, and wish I could make go away.

1) The fact that selection tools move things if you click inside the selection. Even knowing this perfectly well, I am still bound to move things accidentally at least half a dozen times in any long GIMPing session. Even when I get it right, I still have to think about it each time I make a selection. In fact, it actually makes things harder for me more often than it makes things easier. If, for example, I make a rectangle selection too large, I have to first click somewhere to remove the selection, instead of just redoing it. I wish I could just let selection tools select, and move things either with the move tool or by holding down the Alt key.

Oh? I don't remember to have heard complaints about this before. IMO this is a very useful feature since it makes working with the selection tools so intuitive. IMHO what needs to be done to ease your workflow is to let the selection tools modify an existing selection by allowing the user to drag the selection borders or some handles located at the borders. We would first have to use vectors for the selection though.

2) The fact that Tool Options persist across sessions, which means that any unusual option I use for some momentary reason is bound to come back to haunt me in a later session. I wish at least I could set a preference so that all tool options would be reset to their defaults at the beginning of each session.

This preference option was planned from the very beginning. Didn't we add it already? Oh well, I think we didn't. There's a simple way to work around it though: "rm -rf ~/.gimp-2.1/tool-options". Probably because of this workaround, we have never added the preference.

Sven

William Skaggs
2004-09-16 21:44:46 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Wishes

Sven wrote:

Oh? I don't remember to have heard complaints about this before.

Well, somebody has to be first :-).

I wish at least I could set a
preference so that all tool options would be reset to their defaults at the beginning of each session.

This preference option was planned from the very beginning. Didn't we add it already? Oh well, I think we didn't. There's a simple way to work around it though: "rm -rf ~/.gimp-2.1/tool-options". Probably because of this workaround, we have never added the preference.

Not too bad, although not exactly obvious. Also it has, at least, the disadvantages that it makes the Reset button on the Tool Options dialog no longer work, and prevents saved tool options from being reloadable in later sessions.

Best, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Nathan Summers
2004-09-16 22:21:27 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Wishes

On 16 Sep 2004 21:03:12 +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

"William Skaggs" writes:

1) The fact that selection tools move things if you click inside the selection. . . . In fact, it actually makes things harder for me more often than it makes things easier.

Oh? I don't remember to have heard complaints about this before. IMO this is a very useful feature since it makes working with the selection tools so intuitive.

I'll second that it's sometimes annoying, although it's sometimes nice to have. When I've thought about it before, I've come to the conclusion that for me it's nice more often than annoying, but I can see how Bill can come to the opposite conclusion.

IMHO what needs to be done to ease your workflow is to let the selection tools modify an existing selection by allowing the user to drag the selection borders or some handles located at the borders. We would first have to use vectors for the selection though.

Yes, we've talked about that before, and I think it would be a pretty nice improvement, although certainly not trivial to implement. Is there a Bugzilla for it already?

I have a feeling that most people expect the tool options to not persist. If nothing else, I think it would be more useful to be able to save a tool options state manually and have gimp automatically restore to that.

Rockwalrus