RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Color Management

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Color Management shaneyfelt@juno.com 14 Aug 05:56
  Color Management Sven Neumann 14 Aug 11:24
Color Management shaneyfelt@juno.com 15 Aug 06:40
  Color Management Sven Neumann 15 Aug 11:09
Color Management shaneyfelt@juno.com 20 Aug 02:43
  Color Management Sven Neumann 20 Aug 20:05
shaneyfelt@juno.com
2004-08-14 05:56:19 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Color Management

I use GIMP to touch up photos before projecting them on a wall. The washed out effect of a projector might be nice to see while editing the image on a different device. (i.e. use a filter to preview approximately what it would look like being viewed with a different device).

Maybe this is a different feature, but it seems like some kind of display filter would be helpful in this scenario.

_-Ted

Sven Neumann
2004-08-14 11:24:40 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Color Management

Hi,

"shaneyfelt@juno.com" writes:

I use GIMP to touch up photos before projecting them on a wall. The washed out effect of a projector might be nice to see while editing the image on a different device. (i.e. use a filter to preview approximately what it would look like being viewed with a different device).

Maybe this is a different feature, but it seems like some kind of display filter would be helpful in this scenario.

You should be able to achieve this using the proof display filter. All you need is an ICC color profile that simulates the projector.

Sven

shaneyfelt@juno.com
2004-08-15 06:40:20 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Color Management

]> I use GIMP to touch up photos before projecting ]> them on a wall. The washed out effect of a projector ]> might be nice to see while editing the image on ]> a different device. (i.e. use a filter to preview ]> approximately what it would look like being viewed ]> with a different device).
]>
]> Maybe this is a different feature, but it seems ]> like some kind of display filter would be helpful ]> in this scenario.
]
]You should be able to achieve this using the proof display filter. ]All you need is an ICC color profile that simulates the projector. ]
]
]Sven

What's the easy way to get an ICC color profile? I'd like to look at an image on my display and on the wall simultaneously and tweak the profile until the display matches the wall. But I don't see any kind of GUI to accomplish this. Do I have to create the profile by entering some numbers with a text editor? or am I missing something here?

Sven Neumann
2004-08-15 11:09:57 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Color Management

Hi,

What's the easy way to get an ICC color profile? I'd like to look at an image on my display and on the wall simultaneously and tweak the profile until the display matches the wall. But I don't see any kind of GUI to accomplish this. Do I have to create the profile by entering some numbers with a text editor? or am I missing something here?

You will need software that allows to create ICC profiles. Please use google to find such software.

Sven

shaneyfelt@juno.com
2004-08-20 02:43:31 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Color Management

The display filter for gamma is nice, but it should be accompanied by some linear adjustment of brightness and contrast. (That contrast filter that's there just doesn't do the trick!)

I looked into using ICC profiles, but that would be too difficult to adjust easily. Perhaps a mechanism for saving a set of display filters into a display profile could be adopted.

(note how dark and ugly stuff looks on a CRT that looked fine when developed on an LCD without a display filter to compensate - so this is a great way to help compensate for that problem)

Sven Neumann
2004-08-20 20:05:15 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Color Management

Hi,

The display filter for gamma is nice, but it should be accompanied by some linear adjustment of brightness and contrast. (That contrast filter that's there just doesn't do the trick!)

That contrast filter is not meant to be used for adjusting contrast. It is meant to be used to visualize very subtle color changes that are otherwise invisible.

Writing a display filter for brightness/contrast adjustment would be trivial. Why don't you just do it?

Sven