RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp-plugin-template: install

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

13 of 13 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gimp plugin and gdb? Joseph Heled 23 Jul 08:15
  gimp plugin and gdb? Philip 23 Jul 08:25
  gimp plugin and gdb? Manish Singh 23 Jul 08:27
   gimp plugin and gdb? Joseph Heled 23 Jul 09:17
   gimp-plugin-template: install Joseph Heled 23 Jul 09:43
    gimp-plugin-template: install David Neary 23 Jul 20:33
     gimp-plugin-template: install Joseph Heled 23 Jul 21:36
     gimp-plugin-template: install Sven Neumann 24 Jul 22:25
      gimp-plugin-template: install Joseph Heled 25 Jul 00:04
       gimp-plugin-template: install Sven Neumann 25 Jul 23:20
        gimp-plugin-template: install Dave Neary 26 Jul 09:46
         gimp-plugin-template: install Sven Neumann 26 Jul 11:12
   plugin: can it tell when it is called to generate a thumnail? Joseph Heled 23 Jul 10:37
Joseph Heled
2004-07-23 08:15:03 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

gimp plugin and gdb?

While starting each plugin as a separate process has it's advantages, gdb interaction is certainly not one of them.

For example, right now I bring the plugin dialog up, then look up in the process list for it, and attach it to the gdb session. Is there an easier way?

But the real problem is that by the time the plugin dialog is up lots of interesting stuff has already happened. So, how can I debug run() itself in a reasonable way?
(I can think of several ugly hacks to make run() stop and wait until I attach to it, but I still hope there is something I overlooked and there is a simple solution for that).

-Joseph

Philip
2004-07-23 08:25:44 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

gimp plugin and gdb?

Joseph Heled wrote:

But the real problem is that by the time the plugin dialog is up lots of interesting stuff has already happened. So, how can I debug run() itself in a reasonable way?
(I can think of several ugly hacks to make run() stop and wait until I attach to it, but I still hope there is something I overlooked and there is a simple solution for that).

Please read http://developer.gimp.org/debug-plug-ins.txt . This file is also contained in the devel-docs/ directory in the source tree.

Philip

Manish Singh
2004-07-23 08:27:08 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

gimp plugin and gdb?

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 06:15:03PM +1200, Joseph Heled wrote:

While starting each plugin as a separate process has it's advantages, gdb interaction is certainly not one of them.

For example, right now I bring the plugin dialog up, then look up in the process list for it, and attach it to the gdb session. Is there an easier way?

Check out the developer FAQ:

http://developer.gimp.org/faq.html#id2778982

So yes, you overlooked some key things. ;)

-Yosh

Joseph Heled
2004-07-23 09:17:49 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

gimp plugin and gdb?

Exactly what I needed! Thanks a lot. I never wondered what's in that mysterious MAIN(). Now I know at least some of the answer :)

-Joseph

Manish Singh wrote:

Check out the developer FAQ:

http://developer.gimp.org/faq.html#id2778982

So yes, you overlooked some key things. ;)

-Yosh

Joseph Heled
2004-07-23 09:43:03 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Can someone tell me how to configure gimp-plugin-template so that it installs locally(~/gimp-2.0) instead of the global /usr/local?

Thanks, Joseph

Joseph Heled
2004-07-23 10:37:06 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

plugin: can it tell when it is called to generate a thumnail?

The topic says it all. When the Open dialog needs to generate a preview thumbnail, it calls the open plugin non interactively. However, if the plugin knew that only a small thumbnail is needed, it can use in many cases the one stored in the file. This can result in a speed up of many orders of magnitude when raw files are the target.

-Joseph

David Neary
2004-07-23 20:33:27 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi Joseph,

Joseph Heled wrote:

Can someone tell me how to configure gimp-plugin-template so that it installs locally(~/gimp-2.0) instead of the global /usr/local?

configure --prefix=~/gimp-2.0 should work. But if you would like to install your plug-in in the GIMP user directory (in $HOME/.gimp-2.0/plug-ins), I don't know how to do that.

Cheers, Dave.

Joseph Heled
2004-07-23 21:36:44 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

David Neary wrote:

Hi Joseph,

Joseph Heled wrote:

configure --prefix=~/gimp-2.0 should work. But if you would like to install your plug-in in the GIMP user directory (in $HOME/.gimp-2.0/plug-ins), I don't know how to do that.

which is exactly my problem. configure sets this from

GIMP_LIBDIR=`$PKG_CONFIG --variable=gimplibdir gimp-2.0`

And gives no way to override it. I think this is a configure mistake.

-Joseph

Cheers,
Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-07-24 22:25:28 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Joseph Heled wrote:

gimp-plugin-template is an example of an autoconf/automake packaged plug-in that is to be installed system-wide. It doesn't handle installation to the users plug-in directory. Why should it?

Sven

Joseph Heled
2004-07-25 00:04:41 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Joseph Heled wrote:

gimp-plugin-template is an example of an autoconf/automake packaged plug-in that is to be installed system-wide. It doesn't handle installation to the users plug-in directory. Why should it?

Because,

- On some system you don't have administrative rights (say the university) - The gimp is set up to allow full plugins to be installed in ~..gimp-2.0 - 'gimptool --install' defaults to installing in ~/.gimp-2.0

-Joseph

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-07-25 23:20:53 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Joseph Heled writes:

Because,

- On some system you don't have administrative rights (say the university) - The gimp is set up to allow full plugins to be installed in ~..gimp-2.0 - 'gimptool --install' defaults to installing in ~/.gimp-2.0

The build environment as setup by gimp-plugin-template is a standard autotools setup and it would ideally behave like any other such package. Unfortunately this doesn't work perfectly for GIMP and we override the install target to install to the GIMP plug-in directory instead of to ${prefix}/bin.

I don't think we should change this behaviour but we could very easily add another install target (for example called install-user) that installs the plug-in to the user's plug-in directory. This will only work for a small subset of plug-ins though. Most plug-ins handled by a gimp-plugin-template framework are complex plug-ins that install more than just a single plug-in. Usually there will be help files, translations, perhaps data files loaded at runtime. The extra installation target may make people think that the plug-in has been successfully installed with all its additional files while really only the exectuable has been installed. I am not convinved that it would be a good idea to do such a change.

Sven

Dave Neary
2004-07-26 09:46:59 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Quoting Sven Neumann :

I don't think we should change this behaviour but we could very easily add another install target (for example called install-user) that installs the plug-in to the user's plug-in directory. This will only work for a small subset of plug-ins though. Most plug-ins handled by a gimp-plugin-template framework are complex plug-ins that install more than just a single plug-in. Usually there will be help files, translations, perhaps data files loaded at runtime. The extra installation target may make people think that the plug-in has been successfully installed with all its additional files while really only the exectuable has been installed. I am not convinved that it would be a good idea to do such a change.

This brings up an interesting question... is it possible to install a plug-in in the user's directory, and have translations managed by gettext? Where do the .mo files get installed in this case, and how can one make gettext aware of them?

Cheers, Dave.

--
Dave Neary
Lyon, France

Sven Neumann
2004-07-26 11:12:36 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

This brings up an interesting question... is it possible to install a plug-in in the user's directory, and have translations managed by gettext? Where do the .mo files get installed in this case, and how can one make gettext aware of them?

This is all already handled. Just have a look at gimp-plugin-template or gimp-freetype. You can install everything but the actual plug-in executable into whatever prefix you specify.

Not a very interesting question...

Sven