RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Using libgimp in standalone applications

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Using libgimp in standalone applications William Skaggs 30 Jun 19:01
200406251159.28358.debian-l... 07 Oct 20:23
  Using libgimp in standalone applications Wolfgang Mader 30 Jun 18:34
   Using libgimp in standalone applications Sven Neumann 01 Jul 02:18
Wolfgang Mader
2004-06-30 18:34:44 UTC (over 19 years ago)

(This is not the first time I am sending this mail to the list but the last time it got lost.)

Hello List,

I have read that one is able to use the library with the imagemanipultion funktions of gimp in a standalone application. What do I need to read/learn to take advance of this funktionalities? I have never coded gimp realted things.

Thank you in advance. Wolfgang Mader

William Skaggs
2004-06-30 19:01:17 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Wolfgang Mader wrote:

I have read that one is able to use the library with the imagemanipultion funktions of gimp in a standalone application. What do I need to read/learn to take advance of this funktionalities? I have never coded gimp realted things.

The functions in libgimp almost all work by sending commands to a running instance of the gimp application and receiving data in return, so it is impossible to use the functions in libgimp without having the gimp core running on the system.

However, gimp plug-ins are standalone applications in a sense. They are started by the gimp core and controlled by it, but they are separate executables that can create any sort of user interface they want, and execute any C code they want.

The best way to learn about Gimp plug-ins is to read the relevant material at http://developer.gimp.org. Particularly useful as a starting point is this overview:

http://www.home.unix-ag.org/simon/gimp/guadec2002/gimp-plugin/html/

Best, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Sven Neumann
2004-07-01 02:18:38 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Wolfgang Mader writes:

libgimp doesn't contain any image-manipulation functions, it's basically just a way to communicate with the core. It can also not be used in standalone applications. This will change with GEGL though.

Sven