RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp 2.0.1 compilation problem.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp 2.0.1 compilation problem. Rodrigo Severo 07 Jun 17:28
  Gimp 2.0.1 compilation problem. Sven Neumann 07 Jun 18:33
   Gimp 2.0.1 compilation problem. Rodrigo Severo 07 Jun 19:36
    Gimp 2.0.1 compilation problem. Sven Neumann 07 Jun 20:25
     Gimp 2.0.1 compilation problem. Rodrigo Severo 07 Jun 20:44
  Gimp 2.0.1 compilation problem. Manish Singh 14 Jun 00:05
Rodrigo Severo
2004-06-07 17:28:07 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

I'm having problems compiling Gimp 2.0.1 on my Conectiva Linux 9 machine.

The error is:

if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../.. -I../../app -I/usr/local/gtk+/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/local/glib/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/local/glib/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/local/glib/include/glib-2.0
-I/usr/local/glib/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/local/pango/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/gimp/include -DG_LOG_DOMAIN=\"Gimp-Text\" -I/usr/local/fontconfig/include -DGDK_MULTIHEAD_SAFE -DGTK_MULTIHEAD_SAFE -O3 -march=athlon-xp -Wall -MT gimpfontlist.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/gimpfontlist.Tpo" \ -c -o gimpfontlist.o `test -f 'gimpfontlist.c' || echo './'`gimpfontlist.c; \
then mv -f ".deps/gimpfontlist.Tpo" ".deps/gimpfontlist.Po"; \ else rm -f ".deps/gimpfontlist.Tpo"; exit 1; \ fi
gimpfontlist.c: In function `gimp_font_list_font_desc_from_pattern': gimpfontlist.c:290: `FC_WIDTH' undeclared (first use in this function) gimpfontlist.c:290: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once gimpfontlist.c:290: for each function it appears in.) gimpfontlist.c:294: `FC_WIDTH_NORMAL' undeclared (first use in this function)
gimpfontlist.c:297: `FC_WIDTH_ULTRACONDENSED' undeclared (first use in this function)
gimpfontlist.c:300: `FC_WIDTH_EXTRACONDENSED' undeclared (first use in this function)
gimpfontlist.c:303: `FC_WIDTH_CONDENSED' undeclared (first use in this function)
gimpfontlist.c:306: `FC_WIDTH_SEMICONDENSED' undeclared (first use in this function)
gimpfontlist.c:309: `FC_WIDTH_SEMIEXPANDED' undeclared (first use in this function)
gimpfontlist.c:312: `FC_WIDTH_EXPANDED' undeclared (first use in this function)
gimpfontlist.c:315: `FC_WIDTH_EXTRAEXPANDED' undeclared (first use in this function)
gimpfontlist.c:318: `FC_WIDTH_ULTRAEXPANDED' undeclared (first use in this function)
gimpfontlist.c: In function `gimp_font_list_load_names': gimpfontlist.c:347: `FC_WIDTH' undeclared (first use in this function) make[3]: *** [gimpfontlist.o] Error 1 make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gimp-2.0.1/app/text' make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gimp-2.0.1/app' make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gimp-2.0.1' make: *** [all] Error 2

I have seen other messages on mailing lists regarding this same problem. The proposed solution is, AFAICT, to remove the outdated fontconfig header files. This doesn't seen to be a viable solution for me. Let me explain:

gimp 2.0.1 depends on gtk+ 2.4.x and on pango with the xft backend.

To compile the gtk+ 2.4.x compliant pango I need libXft.so. This file and the related xft-devel files are inside the fontconfig-devel package on Conectiva distribution. So I neeed fontconfig-devel (the outdated one).

I have also compiled fontconfig 2.2.0 as updated gimp and gtk+ both require.

I think my distribution should have two separate packages: fontconfig-devel and xft-devel. I have already asked them to consider creating them but until I eventually manage to get these packages I'm looking for another solution.

On the other side, I believe gimp should be able to use just the indicated fontconfig installation. I'm setting the following variables on gimp configuration and still can't compile gimp:

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/fontconfig-2.2.0/lib/pkgconfig CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/fontconfig-2.2.0/include LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/fontconfig-2.2.0/lib

To resume the situation, I believe that both the Conectiva distribution is wrong (it should have separate packages for fontconfig and xft) and gimp configure/compile process is wrong (it should be enough to set the proper variables and get it compile itself using the indicated library).

Could this fix, if really considered proper, be included in gimp ASAP?

I'm trying to correct both wrongs and/or learn more on the subject during the process.

Thanks a lot for your attention,

Rodrigo Severo

Sven Neumann
2004-06-07 18:33:21 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Rodrigo Severo writes:

I think my distribution should have two separate packages: fontconfig-devel and xft-devel. I have already asked them to consider creating them but until I eventually manage to get these packages I'm looking for another solution.

On the other side, I believe gimp should be able to use just the indicated fontconfig installation. I'm setting the following variables on gimp configuration and still can't compile gimp:

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/fontconfig-2.2.0/lib/pkgconfig CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/fontconfig-2.2.0/include LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/fontconfig-2.2.0/lib

To resume the situation, I believe that both the Conectiva distribution is wrong (it should have separate packages for fontconfig and xft) and gimp configure/compile process is wrong (it should be enough to set the proper variables and get it compile itself using the indicated library).

You didn't suggest a fix for GIMP and actually there is nothing to fix in GIMP since the problem is entirely on your harddisk. All you need to do is to remove the offending header from the include search patch of the compiler.

Sven

Rodrigo Severo
2004-06-07 19:36:46 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Rodrigo Severo writes:

You didn't suggest a fix for GIMP

Yes, I did. As it seems there is some doubt about, let me try to make it clearer:

My suggested fix is to make gimp use the indicated (through the proper variables) fontconfig library no matter which other versions I might have installed.

Right now I need two different fontconfig versions installed in my system:

1. the outdated packaged one many packages of my distribution rely on AND

2. the updated 2.2.0 one the new pango, gtk+ and gimp need.

and actually there is nothing to fix in GIMP

We might both agree that there is or there isn't something to fix in Gimp, or we might not agree. That's entirely other point.

I sincerely believe that the flexibility of choosing between several different versions of the same library installed at different points is desirable (generaly speaking) and is a common "feature" the entire GNU compiling sytem (configure, make and all) try to implement.

I believe that there is some problem on gimp because apparently the info provided by pkg-config about my chosen fontconfig installation isn't enough to direct gimp to the proper header files.

since the problem is entirely on your harddisk. All you need to do is to remove the offending header from the include search patch of the compiler.

I can do it, I have done when I compiled gimp 2.0.0. I decided to try to help implement the above mentioned library-version-chosing flexibility. I believe that's usefull. I believe it's reasonabily easy to implement.

I might be wrong. I have been before.

Thanks again for your attention,

Rodrigo Severo

Sven Neumann
2004-06-07 20:25:34 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Rodrigo Severo writes:

You didn't suggest a fix for GIMP

Yes, I did. As it seems there is some doubt about, let me try to make it clearer:

My suggested fix is to make gimp use the indicated (through the proper variables) fontconfig library no matter which other versions I might have installed.

The GIMP build process already uses the environment variables you were talking about. There is no way to change how the compiler looks for headers, at least not in the GIMP source tree. So you did not point out a fix. If you can come up with a patch, that'd be a different thing. But I doubt that such a patch can be written at all.

Sven

Rodrigo Severo
2004-06-07 20:44:22 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

The GIMP build process already uses the environment variables you were talking about. There is no way to change how the compiler looks for headers, at least not in the GIMP source tree.

Ok, I think I'm persuaded.

I will keep trying my luck with Conectiva.

Tahnks again,

Rodrigo Severo

Manish Singh
2004-06-14 00:05:29 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 12:28:07PM -0300, Rodrigo Severo wrote:

Hi,

I'm having problems compiling Gimp 2.0.1 on my Conectiva Linux 9 machine.

The error is:

if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../.. -I../../app -I/usr/local/gtk+/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/local/glib/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/local/glib/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/local/glib/include/glib-2.0
-I/usr/local/glib/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/local/pango/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/X11R6/include

^^ that's your problem. Your pango is built against the old fontconfig in /usr/X11R6. Hence it gets pulled in. If you built pango against your new fontconfig, you wouldn't have this problem.

I think the configure script can be amended to detect this. Sigh, GIMP's configure.in: an encylopedia of how users and distro people can screw up a system.

-Yosh