RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Another small suggestion... "Conservative Make Seamless"

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Another small suggestion... "Conservative Make Seamless" Bowie J. Poag 31 Mar 22:20
  Another small suggestion... "Conservative Make Seamless" Carol Spears 01 Apr 10:49
058b01c41813$6d502270$0300a... 07 Oct 20:22
  Another small suggestion... "Conservative Make Seamless" Carol Spears 01 Apr 20:23
Bowie J. Poag
2004-03-31 22:20:21 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi Gang,

Another small suggestion.

The "Make Seamless" filter can easilly be modified to produce better-quality results. Here's the basic formula/algorithm:

1) For any area selected, shrink the selected area by 15 percent. 2) Reselect the area with Feathering turned on, set to (size_of_selected_area*.15)
3) Invert selection (This effectively selects the outside edge of the previous area selected)
4) Make Seamless.

For example, lets assume we're working with a 500x500px image:

Pick the Select tool. Turn Feathering
Set Feathering to 80-100px
Select an area 100,100 to 400,400
Invert Selection
Make Seamless

If you compare the two (the "old" way, and this way) side-by-side, you'll see that this method produces much better results. I have been doing this trick with Propaganda for years.. It prevents everything but the edges of the selected area from being affected by the Make Seamless pass. It also minimizes the appearance of seam artifacts when running the filter on difficult-to-match edges.

Cheers, Bowie

Carol Spears
2004-04-01 10:49:31 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 01:20:21PM -0700, Bowie J. Poag wrote:

Hi Gang,

Another small suggestion.

hi, welcome to the gimp-developers mail list. i was actually feeling slighted that you hadnt joined this list before now.

if i find a way to say your ideas are weird and/or inarticular, will you put that web site about kennedy up again?

carol

Carol Spears
2004-04-01 20:23:29 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 11:01:58AM -0700, Bowie J. Poag wrote:

Hi Carol,

I've been lurking on and off for years. Considering Propaganda was only made possible by GIMP, I owe much of my own fame (or infamy, as it were) to this project.

I don't think I'd ever put Propaganda back up again, the way it used to be. Considering that VA systematically porked the Linux community (seen their homepage lately? They're pimping SourceForge as a tool to help companies outsource overseas.), the real "enemy" wasnt Microsoft. It was VA.

what if i asked you nicely to put the site back up? not question your gui changes at all, just a real honest request from a fan?

carol