RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

A small suggestion..Auto-Preview.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

A small suggestion..Auto-Preview. Bowie J. Poag 31 Mar 21:56
  A small suggestion..Auto-Preview. David Neary 31 Mar 22:26
  A small suggestion..Auto-Preview. Jakub Steiner 01 Apr 03:13
   A small suggestion..Auto-Preview. Sven Neumann 31 Mar 23:47
    A small suggestion..Auto-Preview. Sven Neumann 01 Apr 00:18
1080830792.29465.3.camel@ti... 07 Oct 20:22
  A small suggestion..Auto-Preview. Sven Neumann 01 Apr 13:27
Bowie J. Poag
2004-03-31 21:56:19 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi gang,

A small suggestion... Give GIMP's file selector an Auto-Preview option.

When loading images in Gimp 2.0, the user is given an area on the right-hand side of the window to Preview files before loading. This is nice....however, the act of Previewing is a manual process---The user has to highlight a file, and _then_ click on Preview in order to see it.

Why not have a setting so that a Preview of the image is generated automatically at the point when a file is selected? Sure, you don't want to automatically generate a Preview for ~900MB PNG files, but thats what setting Preferences are for. :) Give it a threshold.

I propose:

1) GIMP's file dialog automatically generate previews of images smaller than 2MB, by default.
2) An entry in the Preferences dialog where the user can control the Preview file-size threshold... how small an image has to be in order to qualify for auto-previewing. As I mentioned, give it a default of maybe 2MB or so...Small enough that the file in question to be loaded quickly, and without much resource-hogging.

When you think about it, the processing overhead would be so small that an automatic Preview could be generated in the time it takes the mousepointer to move from the filename to the Preview button. :) For those of us who work with alot of small (sub-50KB) images, it saves alot of redundant mousework. Whatcha think?

Cheers, Bowie

(PS.. I love 2.0 by the way. Fantastic work by everyone, all around.)

David Neary
2004-03-31 22:26:15 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Bowie J. Poag wrote:

1) GIMP's file dialog automatically generate previews of images smaller than 2MB, by default.
2) An entry in the Preferences dialog where the user can control the Preview file-size threshold... how small an image has to be in order to qualify for auto-previewing. As I mentioned, give it a default of maybe 2MB or so...Small enough that the file in question to be loaded quickly, and without much resource-hogging.

I like the idea. It's not that intrusive, and despite the fact that it adds a preference I don't think it'd be a huge issue.

Would you mind opening an enhancement request for this?

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-03-31 23:47:54 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Jakub Steiner writes:

Another thing I wanted to suggest. I would volunteer to HIGify the preference dialogs if you guys would find a glade file (probably a window per-setting node in the tree) useful. I know a libglade dependency is out of question again, but perhaps the C code it generates would save some time? Otherwise I can just do image mockups.

There is a boolean value called "hig_compliant" in app/gui/preferences_dialog.c. Set it to TRUE to get a HIG-ified preferences dialog.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-04-01 00:18:13 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Sven Neumann writes:

Another thing I wanted to suggest. I would volunteer to HIGify the preference dialogs if you guys would find a glade file (probably a window per-setting node in the tree) useful. I know a libglade dependency is out of question again, but perhaps the C code it generates would save some time? Otherwise I can just do image mockups.

I forgot to mention that Glade is not able to generate the code we need for the prefs dialog. The dialog makes heavy use of what we call gimppropwidgets:

http://developer.gimp.org/api/2.0/app/app-gimppropwidgets.html

These functions get a pointer to the GimpRc object, the name of the gimprc setting and return a widget that is completely setup and doesn't need to have any callbacks connected. We use this in a lot of other places like for example the tool-options.

So, even though the prefs dialog may look complex, the code is actually rather straight-forward.

Sven

Jakub Steiner
2004-04-01 03:13:20 UTC (about 20 years ago)

V St 31. 03. 2004 v 12:56 -0700 píše Bowie J. Poag:

The preferences dialog is already approaching being too complex. Even for a complex application such as the GIMP, one should try to limit unnecersary settings and replace those with sane defaults. GNOME has a nice workaround of using gconf keys and not exposing some advanced settings in the setting dialogs at all. Power tweakers can still enjoy tweaking while the UI remains readable for the rest of us.

I know creating a new dependancy (gconf) is probably out of question for GIMP, but the fact that crowding the UI remains a negative thing to do remains.

I find the current behaviour good enough (TM) and definitely not more important that the gazillion other enhancement requests in the bugzilla. You can generate thumbnails outside GIMP, since it implemented the freedesktop thumbnail standard* and other apps support it already. Also you have the option to select multiple files within the file selector and generate thumbnails for the selection.

If a "smart thumbnail generator" is to be implemented, I strongly suggest it to be smart enough not to expose new settings for it in the preferences.

cheers

* http://triq.net/~jens/thumbnail-spec/index.html

Sven Neumann
2004-04-01 13:27:40 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Jakub Steiner writes:

V St 31. 03. 2004 v 23:47 +0200 píše Sven Neumann:

There is a boolean value called "hig_compliant" in app/gui/preferences_dialog.c. Set it to TRUE to get a HIG-ified preferences dialog.

Whoa. So this only exists for the preferences dialog? Or is there another reason not to have this on by default?

This exists for the preference dialog only. The main reason for not enabling this is that either all of GIMP should use the HIG suggested frame style or none of it. Since GTK+ does still not provide a widget to easily create a HIG-conform user interface, I'm not sure if we can get this done for 2.2. It would probably involve ading a GimpFrame widget to libgimpwidgets and port massive amounts of code to using this instead of GtkFrame. Still looking for a volunteer for this job...

Sven