RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Re

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Extended Input Devices Mike Anderson 10 Feb 21:36
Re  : Extended Input Devices Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) 10 Feb 21:56
  Re : [Gimp- developer] Exte nded Input Devi ces Sven Neumann 10 Feb 22:09
   Re : Re  : Extended Input Devices Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) 10 Feb 22:41
    Re Mike Anderson 11 Feb 10:46
Mike Anderson
2004-02-10 21:36:33 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Extended Input Devices

Hi,

Posted this without thinking that the from: address is different to my subscribed list address. It's been 24hrs waiting to be moderated, so I'm guessing that it's not going to be.

I'm not sure if this is the right list for this question, but that's kind of what I'm trying to work out, so perhaps somebody can help me :-)

I'm trying to get an Aiptek tablet working. The tablet drivers are still beta, so I'm trying to determine if the problem is with the drivers, or somewhere else.

I have the stylus set up as AlwaysCore, and it works OK in Gimp, so long as I leave it disabled in the Input Devices dialog (although, obviously, it doesn't register pressure).

If I enable the stylus device, however, when you move the stylus, the program flickers rapidly between the stylus and the Core Pointer, making it fairly unusable (which you can see clearly if you look at the Device Status dialog). This is with the stylus set to screen. Set to window, it works even less well. The irony, of course, is that the stylus *is* the core pointer (kind of).

I've just tried with Gimp-2.0pre1, but it's basically the same as 1.2 (with respect to the tablet's behaviour, that is - otherwise, it looks very cool indeed).

Anyway, I presume that Gimp's (Gdk's) tablet support works better than this. Can somebody tell me what behaviour I should expect to see if I was using a Wacom tablet, for instance?

Regards,

Mike

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2004-02-10 21:56:06 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Re  : Extended Input Devices

Hi,

I use a Graphire 2 wacom tablet and I've the same problem. I've reported a bug via the Debian BTS sometimes ago against 1.3. The behaviour has been improved but the devices are not (yet) really useable.

Have a look to:
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=115774

-- Regards
- Jean-Luc

Le 10.02.2004 21:36, Mike Anderson a écrit :

Hi,

Posted this without thinking that the from: address is different to my subscribed list address. It's been 24hrs waiting to be moderated, so I'm
guessing that it's not going to be.

I'm not sure if this is the right list for this question, but that's kind of what I'm trying to work out, so perhaps somebody can help me :-)

I'm trying to get an Aiptek tablet working. The tablet drivers are still
beta, so I'm trying to determine if the problem is with the drivers, or
somewhere else.

I have the stylus set up as AlwaysCore, and it works OK in Gimp, so long
as I leave it disabled in the Input Devices dialog (although, obviously,
it doesn't register pressure).

If I enable the stylus device, however, when you move the stylus, the program flickers rapidly between the stylus and the Core Pointer, making
it fairly unusable (which you can see clearly if you look at the Device
Status dialog). This is with the stylus set to screen. Set to window, it
works even less well. The irony, of course, is that the stylus *is* the
core pointer (kind of).

I've just tried with Gimp-2.0pre1, but it's basically the same as 1.2 (with respect to the tablet's behaviour, that is - otherwise, it looks very cool indeed).

Anyway, I presume that Gimp's (Gdk's) tablet support works better than this. Can somebody tell me what behaviour I should expect to see if I was using a Wacom tablet, for instance?

Regards,

Mike

Sven Neumann
2004-02-10 22:09:03 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Re : [Gimp- developer] Exte nded Input Devi ces

Hi,

"Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)" writes:

I use a Graphire 2 wacom tablet and I've the same problem. I've reported a bug via the Debian BTS sometimes ago against 1.3. The behaviour has been improved but the devices are not (yet) really useable.

Have a look to:

But so far the problem has only been reported against gimp-1.3/2.0 and gtk+-2.x. If Mike has this problem in gimp-1.2, then it's most likely a driver issue. Actually it's very well possible that the problem in gimp 1.3/2.0 is a driver issue as well. Not everyone sees this problem; for some people the tablet works just fine.

Sven

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2004-02-10 22:41:47 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Re : Re  : Extended Input Devices

Hi,

Le 10.02.2004 22:09, Sven Neumann a écrit :

Hi,

"Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)" writes:

I use a Graphire 2 wacom tablet and I've the same problem. I've reported a bug via the Debian BTS sometimes ago against 1.3. The behaviour has been improved but the devices are not (yet) really

useable.

Have a look to:

But so far the problem has only been reported against gimp-1.3/2.0 and gtk+-2.x. If Mike has this problem in gimp-1.2, then it's most likely a driver issue. Actually it's very well possible that the problem in gimp 1.3/2.0 is a driver issue as well. Not everyone sees this problem; for some people the tablet works just fine.

Sven

I agree, I've not any problem with gimp 1.2 ; the problem is only with 1.3 and 2.0pre.

I think it is not a driver problem as the problem occurs only in one case: when the stylus/eraser/pointer is on the menu bar of the main window. In this case, I can see the cursor switching quickly between the selected device and the core pointer (in the devices status dialog or in a tool option box). But in _any_ other case: on any windows or picture, even when I pick a tool from the main window, everything works fine.

--
Jean-Luc

Mike Anderson
2004-02-11 10:46:05 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Re

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 21:41, Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:

I agree, I've not any problem with gimp 1.2 ; the problem is only with 1.3 and 2.0pre.

I think it is not a driver problem as the problem occurs only in one case: when the stylus/eraser/pointer is on the menu bar of the main window. In this case, I can see the cursor switching quickly between the selected device and the core pointer (in the devices status dialog or in a tool option box). But in _any_ other case: on any windows or picture, even when I pick a tool from the main window, everything works fine.

Thanks for your replies (and to Sven for his patience - Evolution is doing what I tell it to do, not what I expect it to do - sorry!).

It's quite possible that it's a driver issue - and the Aiptek driver is based in part on the Wacom driver, although I suspect the code has diverged now.

Thing is, I'm pretty sure that the device is sending events through with a consistent device id. I've been looking into the source to try to work out how the device gets identified from its point of view. I've traced it through X into Gdk into Gtk (I think), but it's slow going. Any pointers?

Mike