RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP Aqua GTK+OSX

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP Aqua GTK+OSX Robin Rowe 24 Dec 01:52
  GIMP Aqua GTK+OSX Dave Neary 24 Dec 10:53
  GIMP Aqua GTK+OSX David Odin 24 Dec 11:19
   GIMP Aqua GTK+OSX David Neary 24 Dec 14:21
   GIMP Aqua GTK+OSX Sven Neumann 25 Dec 12:50
GIMP Aqua GTK+OSX Robin Rowe 24 Dec 21:56
GIMP Aqua GTK+OSX Robin Rowe 25 Dec 23:12
  GIMP Aqua GTK+OSX Sven Neumann 26 Dec 03:17
  GIMP Aqua GTK+OSX Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 28 Dec 05:57
Robin Rowe
2003-12-24 01:52:41 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GIMP Aqua GTK+OSX

GIMP on Mac OS X without X11:

http://gtk-osx.sourceforge.net/docs/gimp.html

Cheers,

Robin --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Robin.Rowe@MovieEditor.com Hollywood, California www.CinePaint.org Free motion picture and still image editing software

Dave Neary
2003-12-24 10:53:20 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GIMP Aqua GTK+OSX

Hi Robin,

Selon Robin Rowe :

Congratulations!

Anyone know if there is there a gdk aqua back-end in gtk+ 2.2.x? If not, is one planned?

Cheers,
Dave.

David Odin
2003-12-24 11:19:22 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GIMP Aqua GTK+OSX

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 04:52:41PM -0800, Robin Rowe wrote:

Yeah! Good job. Now, it would be great if you managed to do the same for gimp-1.3.x. If all the necessary libs were ported too, we could even consider to include this in the main tree, WDYT?

DindinX

David Neary
2003-12-24 14:21:03 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GIMP Aqua GTK+OSX

Hi,

David Odin wrote:

Yeah! Good job. Now, it would be great if you managed to do the same for gimp-1.3.x. If all the necessary libs were ported too, we could even consider to include this in the main tree, WDYT?

I think this is a great idea - you'd need to talk to Owen more than likely, since he is the gtk+ guy for the most part, and most of the code changes would be in gdk. In fact, all going well, an Aqua port of gdk would require no code to change in the GIMP to run perfectly.

Cheers,
Dave.

Robin Rowe
2003-12-24 21:56:32 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GIMP Aqua GTK+OSX

David Odin wrote:

Thanks, but John-Michael Mulesa deserves the credit. He did the work of getting GIMP to build on Aqua, with just a little help from the rest of us when he encountered a few problems. He also wrote the HOWTO.

I'd be surprised if you want to include an experimental version of GTK in the GIMP CVS tree, but not my project. What you guys do with GIMP is your business. Our HOWTO does point out some minor problems encountered in the GIMP 1.2 code when compiling with GTK+OSX that you may want to fix.

With regard to Dave Neary's question about a GTK2 port to Aqua, nobody is working on that. Before launching the GTK+OSX project I contacted Owen Taylor to find out if somebody else was already working on any GTK Aqua port so we wouldn't need to. He said there were no plans and encouraged us to pursue GTK2. GTK+OSX took over an abandoned half-done GTK1 port to OS/9. We weren't willing to accept the setback of starting over with GTK2. Perhaps after the GTK1 port is complete people will want to continue to a port of GTK2.

Cheers,

Robin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Robin.Rowe@MovieEditor.com Hollywood, California www.CinePaint.org Free motion picture and still image editing software

Sven Neumann
2003-12-25 12:50:02 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GIMP Aqua GTK+OSX

Hi,

David Odin writes:

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 04:52:41PM -0800, Robin Rowe wrote:

GIMP wouldn't need to be touched if there was a Quartz port of GTK+-2.0. Unfortunately the people behind gtk-osx so far didn't show any interest in doing a port to GTK+-2.0. This is a little irritating considered that porting GDK-2.x would haven been much easier, let along more useful. Perhaps some of the effort put into this project can be reused to do a GTK+-2.0 port. Judging from my experience with the DirectFB port, doing such a port shouldn't be too hard for someone who has experience with GDK and Quartz. As far as I know the Quartz API is Objective-C, so some expertise with combining Objective-C and C would certainly be helpful.

Sven

BTW: Using the term Aqua with this port is incorrect since it is a port to the Mac OS X graphics system called Quartz. As far as I understand the terminology, Aqua is the name of desktop build on top of it.

Robin Rowe
2003-12-25 23:12:22 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GIMP Aqua GTK+OSX

Sven,

GIMP wouldn't need to be touched if there was a Quartz port of GTK+-2.0.

Everyone is aware from reading our HOWTO that GIMP 1.2 has already been built natively for the Mac with almost no changes to GIMP. What few changes were made were bug-fixes to your code. To suggest basing GTK+OSX on the Quartz API could somehow eliminate errors in your code would be total nonsense!

As documented in our HOWTO, GIMP code is using quote marks instead of angle brackets when including some GTK library header files. That should not work. I'm guessing that your build system is lax enough on other operating systems to let you get away with this obvious mistake.

Unfortunately the people behind gtk-osx so far didn't show any interest in doing a port to GTK+-2.0. This is a little irritating considered that porting GDK-2.x would haven been much easier, let along more useful.

As I'm the official project leader for GTK+OSX and posted here representing "the people behind gtk-osx", I expect everyone knows exactly who it is you are criticisizing. It's pretty weird that you talk about me like I'm not here.

Nobody has ever accused you of having a lot of class, but couldn't you surprise us just once by reacting positively when somebody from our team does something that benefits your project? Couldn't you say it is nice that we took the trouble to build GIMP with GTK+OSX, that building GIMP natively on a new platform is cool, that creating a GIMP HOWTO and reporting the errors we encountered in your code was helpful?

Must you always respond to others' efforts with fallacious criticism and condescending unsought advice?

Perhaps some of the effort put into this project can be reused to do a GTK+-2.0 port. Judging from my experience with the DirectFB port, doing such a port shouldn't be too hard for someone who has experience with GDK and Quartz. As far as I know the Quartz API is Objective-C, so some expertise with combining Objective-C and C would certainly be helpful.

So, it would be easy for us if we would merely learn an unfamiliar programming language that you don't even know yourself? You're funny! ;-)

Cheers,

Robin --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Robin.Rowe@MovieEditor.com Hollywood, California www.CinePaint.org Free motion picture and still image editing software

Sven Neumann
2003-12-26 03:17:52 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GIMP Aqua GTK+OSX

Hi,

"Robin Rowe" writes:

Everyone is aware from reading our HOWTO that GIMP 1.2 has already been built natively for the Mac with almost no changes to GIMP. What few changes were made were bug-fixes to your code. To suggest basing GTK+OSX on the Quartz API could somehow eliminate errors in your code would be total nonsense!

Sorry, but I didn't say that. I was replying to David since I got the impression that he believed that major changes to the GIMP code were necessary to build this. Not all readers of the list will read the URL you posted here and might have gotten a wrong impression.

As documented in our HOWTO, GIMP code is using quote marks instead of angle brackets when including some GTK library header files. That should not work. I'm guessing that your build system is lax enough on other operating systems to let you get away with this obvious mistake.

The usual way to report such a problem is to file a bug-report. Posting an URL and have people figure out it from point (15) isn't that helpful. I had a quick look at the 1.3 tree and indeed there are three plug-ins doing this mistake. I am about to fix this right now.

Unfortunately the people behind gtk-osx so far didn't show any interest in doing a port to GTK+-2.0. This is a little irritating considered that porting GDK-2.x would haven been much easier, let along more useful.

As I'm the official project leader for GTK+OSX and posted here representing "the people behind gtk-osx", I expect everyone knows exactly who it is you are criticisizing. It's pretty weird that you talk about me like I'm not here.

No idea why you feel offended here. Since I don't know exactly who's involved, I thought "the people behind gtk-osx" was a good description. If it's just you being "the man behind gtk-osx", let me stand corrected, This doesn't change my opinion on the port. I'd still would welcome if someone ported GTK2 to Mac OS X. I got the impression that the people / the man behind gtk-osc are/is probably not very interested in doing such a port basically because it doesn't fit on the roadmap, For this reason, I will continue to encourage people to give it a try.

At the moment GTK+ is moving towards a new drawing engine which seems to resemble the Quartz way of drawing a lot better than the current drawing functions that basically wrap the XLib way of doing things. This should be considered when attempting a GTK2 port. It might make sense to base the port on the new drawing engine.

Sven

PS: This email states the authors personal opinion. Nothing else, nothing more. Don't let this get into another flamewar.

Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2003-12-28 05:57:25 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GIMP Aqua GTK+OSX

On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 02:12:22PM -0800, Robin Rowe wrote:

As documented in our HOWTO, GIMP code is using quote marks instead of angle brackets when including some GTK library header files. That should not work.

If that is true, the gimp developers would be rather happy for reports or patches about that, I am sure. Especially as writing a HOWTO entry is probably _more_ work than just going in and fixing the relevant parts.

As I'm the official project leader for GTK+OSX and posted here representing

Woaw, impressive!

surprise us just once by reacting positively when somebody from our team does something that benefits your project?

Frankly, writing howto entries on how broken the gimp codebase is is not benefitting gimp very much. Or did I miss something very obvious? Apologies if that is the case.