RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Quick progress report

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Quick progress report David Neary 19 Dec 22:58
  Quick progress report Sven Neumann 20 Dec 17:38
   Quick progress report David Neary 21 Dec 14:50
    Quick progress report Sven Neumann 21 Dec 17:15
  Quick progress report Sven Neumann 25 Dec 13:49
   Quick progress report Dave Neary 25 Dec 20:00
David Neary
2003-12-19 22:58:16 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Quick progress report

Hi all,

I don't have as much time as I'd hoped, so this is a quick report before bedtime.

The 1.3 series is nearly at an end. If all goes well, we will have a 2.0 pre-release before Christmas, probably the end of the weekend or Monday.

There are a number of issues still sitting on the 1.3 milestone, including some text tool improvements, the website migration, and a couple of small API changes. Nomis, who is working on the About dialog for 2.0, agrees that it's not a blocker for a pre-release, and in addition he won't have time to finish it until he celebrates the new year with his laptop :)

The API changes are, in short, additions to the API which can be checked in very soon after the 2.0 release, or even before it if they're trivial enough. Since none of these will break existing scripts or plug-ins, I don't think that they could cause any problems.

The text tool is, I think, good enough to be in a stable release. Sven had hoped to find the time to update it a little and add more of the features we would all like it to have, but as the ChangeLog shows, he has been very busy stabilising the tree, and fixing a large number of bugs which needed fixing before a stable release. These features will get scheduled for somewhere in the next few months, all going well.

So there we have it. Barring a couple of small issues, we are ready for a pre-release. And given the current stability of the GIMP, I think that 2 or perhaps 3 pre-releases, with 2.0 before the end of January, is a realistic goal. That will lead us on to 2.2, and that's another thing we need to talk about.

For the moment, the list of bugs on the 2.0 milestone has a number of bugs that should be fixed before we go 2.0. Many of these, though, can be fixed later on. The priority now, I think, is to get people using this piece of software we've built. Let out the GIMP!

Cheers,
Dave.

Sven Neumann
2003-12-20 17:38:02 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Quick progress report

Hi,

David Neary writes:

The API changes are, in short, additions to the API which can be checked in very soon after the 2.0 release, or even before it if they're trivial enough. Since none of these will break existing scripts or plug-ins, I don't think that they could cause any problems.

Sorry, but *no* API changes can and will be made during the stable series. An exception would be severe problems with the API that make an API change unavoidable. Additions to the API mean new functionality and can only go into the HEAD branch leading to GIMP-2.2.

The text tool is, I think, good enough to be in a stable release.

Sorry, but it isn't. At least undo needs to work correctly and must not crash the application. I will continue to work on the text tool when Blinkenlights Reloaded is up and running.

Sven

David Neary
2003-12-21 14:50:15 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Quick progress report

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

David Neary writes:

Sorry, but *no* API changes can and will be made during the stable series. An exception would be severe problems with the API that make an API change unavoidable. Additions to the API mean new functionality and can only go into the HEAD branch leading to GIMP-2.2.

That seems a bit strict to me for some things which will essentially be small local changes, but I guess we have different philosophies on this. In any case, "very soon after the 2.0 release" could also mean "after we branch off a 2.0 maintenance branch".

The text tool is, I think, good enough to be in a stable release.

Sorry, but it isn't. At least undo needs to work correctly and must not crash the application. I will continue to work on the text tool when Blinkenlights Reloaded is up and running.

Fair enough. It is at least good enough to be in a pre-release, though :)

Cheers,
Dave.

Sven Neumann
2003-12-21 17:15:17 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Quick progress report

Hi,

David Neary writes:

That seems a bit strict to me for some things which will essentially be small local changes, but I guess we have different philosophies on this. In any case, "very soon after the 2.0 release" could also mean "after we branch off a 2.0 maintenance branch".

Too strict? You must be kidding. An API that changes between releases in the stable branch will never be used by anyone. The guarantee of a fixed API is the whole point of having a series of stable release. If we want to violate this principle, we don't need to aim for a series of stable releases at all.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2003-12-25 13:49:54 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Quick progress report

Hi,

David Neary writes:

The 1.3 series is nearly at an end. If all goes well, we will have a 2.0 pre-release before Christmas, probably the end of the weekend or Monday.

Most probaby you noticed already that we haven't yet done this pre-release. The point is, we absolutely need a release very soon now. So either we do 1.3.24 (I could do this today) or we work very hard to resolve the remaining bugs on the 1.3.x milestone. I've looked at this list today and moved some of the bugs to the 2.0 milestone. I've added comments to the other reports explaining what needs to be done. So, if you want to help, please query Bugzilla for bugs on the 1.3.x milestone and see if there's something you can do.

I am in favor of doing 1.3.24 today or tomorrow. Doing a 2.0-pre release will not only mean closing the remaining bugs but it also involves a couple of file moves in the CVS tree (files that have the 1.3 version number in their names). At the moment I'm quite busy with christmas, Blinkenlights Reloaded and preparation of 20C3. I would manage to do 1.3.24 release but I'm not sure if a 2.0-pre release would fit into the schedule.

Sven

Dave Neary
2003-12-25 20:00:43 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Quick progress report

Hi,

Sven Neumann said:

I am in favor of doing 1.3.24 today or tomorrow. Doing a 2.0-pre release will not only mean closing the remaining bugs but it also involves a couple of file moves in the CVS tree (files that have the 1.3 version number in their names). At the moment I'm quite busy with christmas, Blinkenlights Reloaded and preparation of 20C3. I would manage to do 1.3.24 release but I'm not sure if a 2.0-pre release would fit into the schedule.

Of the 1.3 bugs remaining, I think the grey point for the levels tool should be added. Unfortunately, I have no access to a gimp source tree until the 4th of January, so I won't be able to do this. I think that doing the necessary with what Maurits did is also a prerequisite, that requires someone to generate a patch, and then move some stuff about.

Apart from that, I'm happy to have 2.0 pre1 as we are. I would agree to have a 1.3.24 now (or tomorrow), and have 2.0pre1 after the holidays, when these last 2 things are handled. That will also give you guys a chance to do some hacking at the CCC ;-)

Anyway, happy Christmas everyone, and here's to 2004.

Cheers, Dave.